S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again,

Does anybody knows how many hours of handwork has the replacement of the valve retainers stuff?

Being told 5, others say from 15 to 20 hours etc.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't comment on the time needed but you could shoot a message to Jason (DIYGuys on YouTube) he has made a great video on replacing the retainers (https://goo.gl/ZsVfyM) and has done it on a few motors in the past.

I know he has an account on this forum but I can't remember his username unfortunately

On a side note, make sure NOT to reuse the old retainer keepers AP2 retainers use their own keepers!
The following users liked this post:
Filigranas (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

It took me about 8 hours total to replace the retainers/keepers & valve seals, taking a break for food before putting the rocker assembly back and adjusting lash. Working at a slow methodic pace with a beer or three along the way.
Filigranas (02-01-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:32 PM

I have been told that after replacing all the valve retainers etc, some part of the engine must be rectified.

Do not know if is the exact English word, rectify is when on an old engine you put new piston and the old cilinder must be polished ,something like that.

Can any who replaced my wrong stuff did this?

My dumb logic says they only need to be replaced.

thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Filigranas
I have been told that after replacing all the valve retainers etc, some part of the engine must be rectified.

Do not know if is the exact English word, rectify is when on an old engine you put new piston and the old cilinder must be polished ,something like that.

Can any who replaced my wrong stuff did this?

My dumb logic says they only need to be replaced.

thanks
Hi

The job doesn't require any machining. I would suggest doing valve seals while you have the parts removed, if your mileage is high. The only post replacement work needed is a valve lash adjustment, once the cams and rockers are reinstalled in correct time.
Filigranas (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Hi

The job doesn't require any machining. I would suggest doing valve seals while you have the parts removed, if your mileage is high. The only post replacement work needed is a valve lash adjustment, once the cams and rockers are reinstalled in correct time.

You mean the valve adjust that is needed every, from memory was like 40-60.000 kms. right? Anyway if you mean that, it has to be done I have been told.

Do not know why I have been told to do the machinery thing... I got 145.000 kms. 2001 model

what is valve seal btw? sorry my knowledge is low as it looks.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Filigranas
You mean the valve adjust that is needed every, from memory was like 40-60.000 kms. right? Anyway if you mean that, it has to be done I have been told.

Do not know why I have been told to do the machinery thing... I got 145.000 kms. 2001 model

what is valve seal btw? sorry my knowledge is low as it looks.
yes like the valve adjustment for every 40-60km, once you replace the retainers and keepers, and reassemble, it must be done before running the engine.

Valve seals - they are the seal that seals oil into the head around each one of the valve stems, so that oil does not leak down the valve guides into the intake and exhaust ports. When you remove the retainers and keepers, they are at the base of the valve spring cavity where the valve stem protrudes from the head.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Valve seal 12210-PZ1-004
Old 02-04-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
Valve seal 12210-PZ1-004
^^^ just as a side note, exhaust and intake are different part numbers if anyone does both sides when doing retainers
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17 AM

yes like the valve adjustment for every 40-60km, once you replace the retainers and keepers, and reassemble, it must be done before running the engine.

Valve seals - they are the seal that seals oil into the head around each one of the valve stems, so that oil does not leak down the valve guides into the intake and exhaust ports. When you remove the retainers and keepers, they are at the base of the valve spring cavity where the valve stem protrudes from the head.
Originally Posted by flanders
Valve seal 12210-PZ1-004

thanks!
^^^ just as a side note, exhaust and intake are different part numbers if anyone does both sides when doing retainers
will do both

Hi

I will,

btw, a friend who worked on Honda Europe just told me the exact word:

cylinder head resurfacing, I mean, are you all sure I do not need to do that machinery polishing after replacing all my stuff?

thanks

Quick Reply: Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km