Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Under The Hood
Reload this Page >

Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Notices
S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here I go, the third trial on compression test, with oil, cold and later warm cilinders.

Also leakdown one,

Can you help me understanding those? lower results are on cold. Other say motor caliente con aceite warm engine with oil etc.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Liked 225 Times in 197 Posts

So you have between about 72% and 80% leakdown. Not great, but not horrible.

The numbers are merely half the story. The other half is where the leakage leaks. Where do you hear the air hissing out. If the mechanic didn't do that, then he didn't do a real leakdown test.

The point of this test is to see how much leakage and where. All you know is how much. The reason to know where is to know what you need to fix.

You need to find out where the leaks were. Out exhaust means exhaust valves leaking. Out intale manifold means intake valves leaking. Out openings in valve cover, pcv, dipstick tube, breather, etc means piston rings leaking.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy View Post
So you have between about 72% and 80% leakdown. Not great, but not horrible.

The numbers are merely half the story. The other half is where the leakage leaks. Where do you hear the air hissing out. If the mechanic didn't do that, then he didn't do a real leakdown test.

The point of this test is to see how much leakage and where. All you know is how much. The reason to know where is to know what you need to fix.

You need to find out where the leaks were. Out exhaust means exhaust valves leaking. Out intale manifold means intake valves leaking. Out openings in valve cover, pcv, dipstick tube, breather, etc means piston rings leaking.

Should I just replace all the valve gaskets to see if I get better leak results?

Should I replace the oil cap?

He told me that any oil leak is around the oil cap gasket so should not replace it.

thanks for all the help
Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 AM

Liked 225 Times in 197 Posts

Engine compression is inside the cylinder. Once the valves are closed, its just a big hunk of metal with 5 holes to seal. The piston is one hole, sealed by the piston rings. The 4 valves, 2 intake, 2, exhaust, are sealed by the valve seat. If its losing compression, its losing it from one of these 5 places (well, it could also leak out the big hunk of metal, the block, or leak from where the two big hunks of metal meet, the head gasket).

The valve seals don't hold compression. They only keep oil from getting into intake or exhaust manifold.

Losing oil, yeah, valve seals could cause that. Losing compression, no, valve seals can't cause that.

When I applied deodorant this morning I used the gel type where you screw a knob to make the product squeeze out the little holes at the top. Imagine the shaft on the knob is the engine valve stem, and the piston that rams the gel out the top is the valve head. If the shaft seal at the bottom near the knob were leaking, would the gel being squeezed out the top know or care? Its sealed in that chamber at the top, stuck between the piston and the grid of holes. None of that pressure generated in that chamber is trying to leak out shaft seal at the bottom.

Its the same way for your valves. The combustion chamber and the valve seals are not sealing the same things in the same places.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy View Post
Engine compression is inside the cylinder. Once the valves are closed, its just a big hunk of metal with 5 holes to seal. The piston is one hole, sealed by the piston rings. The 4 valves, 2 intake, 2, exhaust, are sealed by the valve seat. If its losing compression, its losing it from one of these 5 places (well, it could also leak out the big hunk of metal, the block, or leak from where the two big hunks of metal meet, the head gasket).

The valve seals don't hold compression. They only keep oil from getting into intake or exhaust manifold.

Losing oil, yeah, valve seals could cause that. Losing compression, no, valve seals can't cause that.

When I applied deodorant this morning I used the gel type where you screw a knob to make the product squeeze out the little holes at the top. Imagine the shaft on the knob is the engine valve stem, and the piston that rams the gel out the top is the valve head. If the shaft seal at the bottom near the knob were leaking, would the gel being squeezed out the top know or care? Its sealed in that chamber at the top, stuck between the piston and the grid of holes. None of that pressure generated in that chamber is trying to leak out shaft seal at the bottom.

Its the same way for your valves. The combustion chamber and the valve seals are not sealing the same things in the same places.
And what is the fix for this?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Filigranas View Post
And what is the fix for this?
Engine rebuild. Head or bottom end. Leakdown test should tell you where to go...
Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Engine rebuild. Head or bottom end. Leakdown test should tell you where to go...

That cost +- 4000 euros and will be the one time possible for the engine.

My plan is to do that when I reach the endlife of my engine, maybe in other 150.000 kms?

I want to take the car as a classic, 18 years now, just 7 for 25,

worths it? In Spain my car right now sells for 20.000 euros and going up, is one of the most sought after and valued cars of the market
last models of 2006 went for 30.000 euros.

I know on USA mine will be 6000 $ aprox right?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Liked 243 Times in 232 Posts

Maybe not even $6000 with your trashed engine. Plenty of good S2000s in North America.

-- Chuck
Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Maybe not even $6000 with your trashed engine. Plenty of good S2000s in North America.

-- Chuck
How much more or less for an engine on good use?