S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)

Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Actually if it's an original AP1 MAP, a new one might be worthwhile in itself (they're about 80 bucks online). As an OG owner, I'd always MAP-whacked and zip-tied religiously, and my early-early-AP1 sensor *seemed* fine. But after chasing an infuriating, intermittent misfire for most of 2017, I finally replaced it on a hunch - and the car's driveability was completely transformed. It didn't just cure the misfire, it made everything better: rock solid idle, butter-smooth throttle tip-in, crisp VTEC transition, etc.
The following users liked this post:
ericmdub92 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It should be easy to spot MAP issues if you log the signal from the OBD output for example.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
It should be easy to spot MAP issues if you log the signal from the OBD output for example.
Hey this is a great idea, i will try this later tonight while i wait for the new MAP sensor and clip to come in the mail!

going to pay attention to my MAP sensor output and then take a look at the graph using https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion, will report back
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmdub92
Hey this is a great idea, i will try this later tonight while i wait for the new MAP sensor and clip to come in the mail!

going to pay attention to my MAP sensor output and then take a look at the graph using https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion, will report back
New OEM sensor?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The communication speed on the AP1 ecu is pretty limited so make sure to only monitor the needed signals, I would probably choose MAP, RPM and TPS.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
New OEM sensor?
yeah new OEM sensor with the zip tie housing thing
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmdub92

yeah new OEM sensor with the zip tie housing thing
$80 is really cheap then! Good deal.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by twohoos
Actually if it's an original AP1 MAP, a new one might be worthwhile in itself (they're about 80 bucks online). As an OG owner, I'd always MAP-whacked and zip-tied religiously, and my early-early-AP1 sensor *seemed* fine. But after chasing an infuriating, intermittent misfire for most of 2017, I finally replaced it on a hunch - and the car's driveability was completely transformed. It didn't just cure the misfire, it made everything better: rock solid idle, butter-smooth throttle tip-in, crisp VTEC transition, etc.
Maybe after almost 20 years of flexing that chip by air pressure will wear it mechanically or make it slow to respond or create an offset between pressure and signal?
Have you ever measured, via OBDII, if there was a difference in signal between the MAP's?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

^No, never took that kind of data - maybe the OP might do it for us and post his results?

Like I said, the old MAP *seemed* fine, i.e. the motor seemed to run well except for a very intermittent, part-throttle misfire. This was with all the usual troubleshooting (new plugs, coil packs, etc). It wasn't till I put in the new MAP that I realized how much things had degraded over 17 years. "Oh, yeah, now I remember -- THIS is what throttle response is supposed to feel like!"
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well...
This morning I remembered I have a MY05 MAP still mounted on an MY05 intake manifold.
I never used that manifold as the fuel line connection and some other stuff is different from MY00.
2 philips screws and 2 zip ties later and I'm driving.
Note I did not change anything else, kept the battery connected, no change in weather either.

And the car now drives different, as in BETTER!
Like twohoos said: solid idle so it's also easier to maneuver in a parking garage, better shifts as I think it drops less during shifts, it even sounds different in VTEC.
Smooth pick up and an overall better feeling.
I could (should.. maybe) have done it right: run the OBDII laptop and record MAP and RPM and see if there is a difference between the 2 but I didn't.
Sorry.
The question is too if the difference is in the signal itself or in the rate of change between signals and if commecial OBDII readers can detect it.

This all makes me think the MAP also wears a bit when used.
The one I'm using now is a MY05 but was never used by me so only 5 years max of flexing that chip.

The following users liked this post:
ericmdub92 (06-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)