S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

eps problems

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eps problems

Hi All,

Im new to the scene. I am having problems with my eps warning lights and my power steering is non exisistent. It happened after my car was in the body shop for a re paint.

I have scanned for codes and the dtc warnings numbers 1 and 4 are showing and apparently that means there is something wrong with my power relay.

Can anyone show a diagram or something to show me where the power relay is or direct me in the right direction?

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers,
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is the car? Mileage?

Just painting the car should not cause a failure. Did they paint under the hood? Did they disconnect the battery? Any mechanical work done? How long was the car in the shop? Any other information you can provide?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alf_09NFR
What year is the car? Mileage?

Just painting the car should not cause a failure. Did they paint under the hood? Did they disconnect the battery? Any mechanical work done? How long was the car in the shop? Any other information you can provide?
My car was in the shop for about 2 months. It is an 2008 with 80,000km approx. the battery was disconnected. I checked all the plugs with one of those electro meter things and they were all in good working condition, so i know its not the plugs.

Yes they did paint under the hood. Everything was removed to re paint the car completely. Engine, suspension, door cards i mean everything was removed to paint the car.

The rear is running quite a lot of camber and im wondering if that affects anything.

Thx.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 PM

It is almost guaranteed that your problem is a connection or grounding issue. The steering rack, EPS computer, engine, cylinder head, and lots of other things must be properly grounded. Putting the bolt from a grounding wire back in a painted hole may not make a proper connection. There may be wires that are not connected or missing completely.

Find another car and try to compare the wiring with special attention to grounds. Some connections like in the rear of the cylinder head are very hard to see.

Good luck...
Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 AM

It is almost guaranteed that your problem is a connection or grounding issue. The steering rack, EPS computer, engine, cylinder head, and lots of other things must be properly grounded. Putting the bolt from a grounding wire back in a painted hole may not make a proper connection. There may be wires that are not connected or missing completely.

Find another car and try to compare the wiring with special attention to grounds. Some connections like in the rear of the cylinder head are very hard to see.

Good luck...
Sigh,

I have checked all of the grounds connections and even swapped an eps unit with another s2k. Everything worked on the other s2k. Is there a power relay for the eps?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 AM

I'm not able to look at my shop manual till tomorrow, maybe someone else can check theirs?

Both the steering rack and the EPs computer are grounded. The rack has a ground wire near the middle that connects the rack to the cross member. That ground and the wire from the EPS that powers the rack and the connection to the torque sensor are the places to check on the steering end.

Checking the connections with a meter can be tricky. You must put the meter on the lowest scale (0 to 10 ohms or whatever), and make sure the resistance is much much less than an ohm.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 AM

I'm not able to look at my shop manual till tomorrow, maybe someone else can check theirs?

Both the steering rack and the EPs computer are grounded. The rack has a ground wire near the middle that connects the rack to the cross member. That ground and the wire from the EPS that powers the rack and the connection to the torque sensor are the places to check on the steering end.

Checking the connections with a meter can be tricky. You must put the meter on the lowest scale (0 to 10 ohms or whatever), and make sure the resistance is much much less than an ohm.
Hey Alf,

Just one quick one. Is there a power relay for the eps system?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not finding a specific listing for an EPS power relay in the factory service manual, other then the DTC error code 1 message. It's possible the relay is built into the EPS rack. Troubleshooting for DCT4: Upper FET Stuck On recommends checking for continuity between the EPS control unit connector (2P) terminal No 1 and the body ground. If there is no continuity there may be an open in the wire between the EPS control unit and the body ground (G351). That is the ground on the right side of the engine bay when sitting in the car, up against the fender behind the battery according to the ground diagram in the service manual.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by KrazyKarl
I'm not finding a specific listing for an EPS power relay in the factory service manual, other then the DTC error code 1 message. It's possible the relay is built into the EPS rack. Troubleshooting for DCT4: Upper FET Stuck On recommends checking for continuity between the EPS control unit connector (2P) terminal No 1 and the body ground. If there is no continuity there may be an open in the wire between the EPS control unit and the body ground (G351). That is the ground on the right side of the engine bay when sitting in the car, up against the fender behind the battery according to the ground diagram in the service manual.
Thanks Karl, i will keep fiddling with it tomorrow. Its been so painful driving in town with no power steering.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 AM

Hello, I'm looking for some dimensions for my custom build. I'd like to use an AP1 rack and pinion on my old Volvo. Could anyone measure one for me? I need overall length from tie rod ends, apprx location of column shaft from one end to center, and apprx location of knuckles inside boots.

Quick Reply: eps problems