S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

fuel line replacement

Old 07-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel line replacement

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone could point me towards any kind of walkthrough there may be to replace the fuel damper line on a 2000-2003 s2000. Unfortunately it looks like some mice put enough of a gash in it and cause fuel to spray out as soon as I turn the key to "ON" (causing fuel pump to prime). I believe the line I am talking about is number 3 in the attached picture.

Any help will be appreciated. I just hope I don't have to take off the whole intake manifold to replace it, but I think I may have to.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails fuel line replacement-s2000-fuel-damper.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

No need to take the manifold off, that's crazy amount of work. You can reach the lower connection from under the car and wiggle the whole hose out.
Be aware that nut may need crazy amount of force to be loosened so use a quality 14mm tool, preferably something like I use in the picture.
Make sure you replace the gaskets #2 and #39 as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Ok excellent! It's great to know that I don't have to take the manifold off at all. That picture will help out a lot too. I made sure to order to the washer/gaskets that I need with it too.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
No need to take the manifold off, that's crazy amount of work. You can reach the lower connection from under the car and wiggle the whole hose out.
Be aware that nut may need crazy amount of force to be loosened so use a quality 14mm tool, preferably something like I use in the picture.
Make sure you replace the gaskets #2 and #39 as well.
When I replace this fuel line, do I need to put any kind of sealant around the threaded part of the line that goes into the fuel tube?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Do not use any sealant. The seal is achieved by the internal inverted flare.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Do not use any sealant. The seal is achieved by the internal inverted flare.
Ok. The first time I did it, I got it started in about halfway, then I tightened the other two bolts, then finished tightening the fuel line. This resulted in some light dripping. I then undid it, tightened the fuel line all the way in first, then put the two bolts back in. When I turned the key to "ON" that time, there was no dripping but a very slight film of fuel could be seen at the top of the threads if you really focused on it, but again it was not dripping. I am about to start the car up with the way it is right now to see if it will be ok.

Note that when I took it off after it was dripping the first time, the seal inside the rubber tube looked fine. I think maybe the metal fuel line flange was not completely all the way against the seal or something.

P.S. I hate cars LOL
Old 07-24-2017, 04:51 PM

I think it is ok now. I just started up the car and let it run for a few minutes and it is not leaking at all. I think what I saw the 2nd time was some fuel that was on the threads prior to me screwing it in that just happened to seep down the threads enough to make it look like it could possibly leak. I felt the line while the car was running and it is dry now.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

That line nut can take quite a bit of torque. Make it tight.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes the torque spec for that line nut is a whopping 37Nm or 27lb-ft.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 AM

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. When I get home from work today, I will try to tighten it just a little more.

Also, can you guys point me to a diagram that shows the rubber line going up to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. It may be something I also have to replace in the near future. I have managed to find diagrams for practically every other hose/line associated with the fuel tank and in the engine bay but cannot seem to locate the part number for it. From what I remember when I was looking at the line last night, there did not seem to be too much special about it (although it does have somewhat of a slight "S" curve in the middle of it. I'm thinking I might be able to use fuel hose from an auto parts store or something.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: fuel line replacement