S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel pump keeps priming after Air pump Removal + Wiring

Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, I am beating myself to death on trying to figure this out. Digging through the Electrical troubleshooting manual, there is not anything directly correlating from the harness I jacked with, to the Fuel supply/Fuel pump staying on during priming.

I'm at the point of replacing the wiring harness that I messed with, Replacing PGM-FI Relay, or replacing the ECU.

Wiring harness, if there is something I cut and caused a problem, this would hopefully take care of it. I would be purchasing a used harness, so its possible it may not fix the issue/

PGM-FI, it seems within the relay is what could be deciding to leave the fuel pump in "priming" mode.

ECU also controls fuel pump, and could have something going on that I am unaware of. Another reason I point to the ECU is when I plug my OBD reader in this, I get a linking error, everytime.

The manual has definitely helped me figure out what wire's go where. But I do not know/understand how everything works or correlates together. Maybe I am missing something.

I have the 00-05 Electrical troublshooting manual. I can give you the page numbers that I have been eye balling if it helps. Any is greatly appreciated man. I'm not sure what other steps to take.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 AM

I meant to add that I tested the fuses under the hood with a test light. All seemed good there.

I tried the test light method under the dash, none of them would light the test light. I may not have had a good ground, but I figured there would still be some that would light up, even a little. I will test again soon I hope.
Edit: Looks like I need to have the key in the on position while testing fuses with test light
Old 10-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Get help from someone with electrical skills, with the manual you got and some good troubleshooting knowledge it shouldn't be to hard to figure out where the problem is.
Doing this over a forum is unfortunately very hard.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
Get help from someone with electrical skills, with the manual you got and some good troubleshooting knowledge it shouldn't be to hard to figure out where the problem is.
Doing this over a forum is unfortunately very hard.
Thanks man, I appreciate it, and yes VERY hard! I work at a Chrysler dealership and have been talking to one of the techs. He is going to come over one day and see if he can help me out. Electronics are is thing so hopefully have the s2k back on the road again soon!

Update: Installed new PGM-FI relay, no change. Fuel pump continues to prime.

Update 2: I figured if I unplugged the harness that I F'd up, It would tell me if this was the problem. At the moment, I am unable to get the 3rd plug unplugged of the harness. The other 2, had them unplugged, no change, fuel pump keep priming. Looking more and more like the ECU. I will keep you guys posted as I know more.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 PM

Have you tried unplugging ecu connector A? Pin A15 is what's driving the fuel pump relay.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Have you tried unplugging ecu connector A? Pin A15 is what's driving the fuel pump relay.
I have not, I will try that next. If I unplug connector A from the ecu, do you think it will allow the fuel pump to do anything at that point? I'm also considering removing the ecu, taking off the cover and looking over the ecu and see if anything is burnt inside. I'm leaning more toward me frying something within the ecu when "removing" the wire from the air pump.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM

If the ecu is the problem then no, the fuel pump should not prime with connector A unplugged.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In for results. Considering deleting Air pump removal, but this thread has me scared.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Not sure what "fuel pump priming" means. Been reading this thread for several days and still don't know.

Is the pump pressure controlled? That is it stops pumping when a certain fuel pressure is reached? If so it'll run much of the time. On a fuel return system as in the pre-DBW cars I'm guessing it runs a lot.

Anyway, just curious. I hear my fuel pump start up and run for a a second or two before I start my DBW car. Never considered it was "priming" anything as I doubt the fuel lines are empty, just running the system up to required pressure.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM

The pump just runs for a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel rail, it is not pressure controlled.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump keeps priming after Air pump Removal + Wiring