S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

FX300 Clutch Buzz

Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Does CM kits come with oem Nachi bearings?
They do if you get them through LHT or THMotorsports. I’m assuming they have deals with CM to provide them just the disk and plate, they then build their own kit. Looks like they use portions of the OEM disk as well.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...n-oem-1176808/
Old 01-29-2019, 03:48 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
Funny you mention that. After reading earlier I looked to see if CM sells just their pp, and yup, you can only buy it in a kit.

ACT HD and OEM disk is king for most people within the 400-500whp range @ or slightly above 300 ft/lbs of torque, and that's where a lot of people like to stay. Can't wait to get mine installed and give impressions on it. According to THMotorsports testing, the ACT and CM PP is virtually identical in clamping force. They said roughly 2400 lbs for the CM PP, and 25-2600 for the ACT. In terms of pedal feel it's all subjective....not seeing how the CM PP can achieve the same clamping load with less force required and replicate the feel of an OEM PP which has roughly 6-700 lbs less clamping force @ 1870 lbs. I'd imagine the ACT + OEM setup feels similar to the CM in essentially every way minus the buzz.

The only real concerning factor for most people should be the cost. The ACT + OEM disk & bearing setup is quite a bit more expensive vs. buying the FX300 kits with a Nachi bearing already included. I think the money is well worth it. @hecash on here said he was running the ACT & OEM disk combo for years @ 400whp and when he went to replace the disk as preventative maintenance the friction disk was still almost within "new" tolerance....Can't go wrong imo.
400-500whp @ 300 ft/lbs (407 nm - which is a hell of a lot!!) is music to my ears. At this kind of power/torque, what's the longevity in terms of typical miles of the ACT PP/OEM disk?

I assume we could run a Spoon OEM style disk with the ACT PP as well? Thinking of this as an option because a) Spoon and b) Spoon said it holds more torque than OEM.

Last edited by RolanTHUNDER; 01-29-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
They do if you get them through LHT or THMotorsports. I’m assuming they have deals with CM to provide them just the disk and plate, they then build their own kit. Looks like they use portions of the OEM disk as well.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...n-oem-1176808/
I think I've seen LHT throw away one of the included CM bearings in one of their videos.
They got so many clutch installs videos though and I can't find it now
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You have to bear in mind that clamping force will change depending on the CM clutch kit if i'm not mistaken.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running the CM FX300 kit, with OEM bearings and Honda Grease. Feels lighter and smoother than my OEM one that came out at 30K miles. It almost feels like I didn't bleed the clutch line properly but I did, and she fully engages and disengages fine, loving the light pedal feel!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdulai
Man I wish I knew this before buying mine. The LHT guys talk very highly of this clutch and never mentioned the buzz so I thought this clutch wouldn't have that. It does hold the power well and feel nice though.
Mine is buzzing too. LHT installed it for me. At first I thought my Skunk 2 header was rattling on something (they installed it hwile they did the clutch/flywheel)

Glad to know its not just my car.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by tonys2000CR
Looking for the Fx300 clutch, the whining/buzzing is constantly even in neutral? or just on desaceleration?
Just deceleration for me!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Code
Running the CM FX300 kit, with OEM bearings and Honda Grease. Feels lighter and smoother than my OEM one that came out at 30K miles. It almost feels like I didn't bleed the clutch line properly but I did, and she fully engages and disengages fine, loving the light pedal feel!
Glad I foudn this thread. LHT installed my clutchmasters FX300 and new flywheel. I got the buzz too. Now that I know that is normal I'm okay with it.

but as far as pedal feel. I feel like the engagment point is sooo much higher now than it used to be. I dont have an on/off feeling, but i gotta let out the pedal a good 50% more than I used to when applying gas to get the car moving. Is this normal for a new clutch? maybe my engagment point felt so much lower in the pedal travel before, because it was older? I dont know whats expected but its a big difference. So now at stop lights i have to completely re-train my leg to allow the pedal out more before giving it gas. Its just not as smooth as it was/I'm used to. ALMOST on/off like some have mentioned.

I've got no clutch fluid leaks, and the resevoir is full. So I dont think anything is bothered there. But could I benefit from a bleed? or does the pedal some how need to be adjusted?

Note: prior to this install was 100% oem, 96k miles and it felt, to me, fine. I only had it replaced beacuse tehy fixed the rear main seal and dit he clutch for me while they were in there.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by starbai
Glad I foudn this thread. LHT installed my clutchmasters FX300 and new flywheel. I got the buzz too. Now that I know that is normal I'm okay with it.

but as far as pedal feel. I feel like the engagment point is sooo much higher now than it used to be. I dont have an on/off feeling, but i gotta let out the pedal a good 50% more than I used to when applying gas to get the car moving. Is this normal for a new clutch? maybe my engagment point felt so much lower in the pedal travel before, because it was older? I dont know whats expected but its a big difference. So now at stop lights i have to completely re-train my leg to allow the pedal out more before giving it gas. Its just not as smooth as it was/I'm used to. ALMOST on/off like some have mentioned.

I've got no clutch fluid leaks, and the resevoir is full. So I dont think anything is bothered there. But could I benefit from a bleed? or does the pedal some how need to be adjusted?

Note: prior to this install was 100% oem, 96k miles and it felt, to me, fine. I only had it replaced beacuse tehy fixed the rear main seal and dit he clutch for me while they were in there.
anyone? bump.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

You need to adjust the pedal. Play with the rod clevis until it engages where you like.

Quick Reply: FX300 Clutch Buzz