S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Gearbox oil recommendation? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/gearbox-oil-recommendation-1189182/)

simons 10-26-2018 02:10 AM

Gearbox oil recommendation?
 
I have read a lot about gearbox oil for the s2k. I found out that the consensus is that OEM Honda MTF works best.

However, Honda MTF is a mineral oil, and generally synthetics are recommended for all purposes nowadays.

In winter time (here -5 to + 7 C) I notice that from a cold start, the gearbox is very stiff and it takes a lot of effort to change gears. It takes quit long for the oil to warm up and for the gearbox to shift smoothly. Maybe 5-15 minutes depending on the exact outside temp.

I think this means that a lot of power could be lost thrue the cold gearbox. Can anyone who knows more about gearboxes tell?

My mpg drops quit lower in winter. And I wonder if the gearbox could have to do with it? I make mostly short rides (5-30min).

Is there a good synthetic multigrade alternative? (So a cold temp number and a warm temp number, like the engine and diff oils have).

Thanks!

engifineer 10-26-2018 03:36 AM

Synthetics are great for longevity, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with conventional oils in most automotive applications. Lots of hype about synth, and they are good, but if you follow correct intervals for maintenance the conventional oils are likely just as good.

I would just run Honda MTF like you have been reading.

flanders 10-26-2018 04:04 AM

mpg drop during winter is mostly because of low engine temp, it runs way richer until temps gets up to normal.
Use a engine block heater if you want to save on gas and also save on engine wear.
Not sure how common engine heaters are in your region but up here in Sweden it's almost fitted as standard on all cars that gets winter use.
Also make sure you clutch free play is minimal, if the clutch isn't disengaging fully gear changing gets much harder.

Emil St-Hilaire 10-26-2018 04:45 AM

Redline MT-90.:thumbup:

Chuck S 10-26-2018 05:16 AM

This discussion is not quite as contentious as the "best engine oil" and "best differential oil" threads but will still produce a myriad of responses. :)

I ran Honda MTF until last year when I tried Royal Purple Syncromax. Still in the gearbox. You'll find a dozen alternates in other threads. Almost everyone, though, claims their gearbox shifts smoother after an oil change seemingly regardless of what they use. Frequent oil changes seem to be the key rather than what goes in there. Takes less than two quarts and if I'm under the car to change the engine oil it's only a few more minutes getting dirty changing the gearbox oil at the same time. Likewise using a full synthetic makes better sense even though it's not necessary.

You've already seen the notes in this thread. :)

-- Chuck

dedonderosa 10-26-2018 06:20 AM

Chuck S is pretty much spot on, its about changing the fluid often because it does not hold a lot and the fluid will deteriorate quickly. ive used the following, Honda mtf, amsoil, and gm synchromesh FM (12377916) which is now discontinued and is not the same as the AC DELCO synchromesh FM. after trying all 3 ive always gone back to GM Synchromesh Friction modified. i felt the trans had the best feel when using this fluid but again it doesn't last super long like the rest of them. i bought a ton of it before it was all gone, i used it on my other honda trans' as well. When my stock is depledted i will go back to either OEM honda mtf or try royal purple sychromax which is also highly recommenced by LHT. use whatever you feel makes you happy just change it often thats all and you will be good to go!

simons 10-26-2018 06:32 AM


Originally Posted by dedonderosa (Post 24525712)
Chuck S is pretty much spot on, its about changing the fluid often because it does not hold a lot and the fluid will deteriorate quickly. ive used the following, Honda mtf, amsoil, and gm synchromesh FM (12377916) which is now discontinued and is not the same as the AC DELCO synchromesh FM. after trying all 3 ive always gone back to GM Synchromesh Friction modified. i felt the trans had the best feel when using this fluid but again it doesn't last super long like the rest of them. i bought a ton of it before it was all gone, i used it on my other honda trans' as well. When my stock is depledted i will go back to either OEM honda mtf or try royal purple sychromax which is also highly recommenced by LHT. use whatever you feel makes you happy just change it often thats all and you will be good to go!

Hi what would you consider often?
And did you notice any difference in the synthetics vs Honda's mineral oil with regard to deterioration and interval time? The main point of a synth is that it is supposed to last longer.

simons 10-26-2018 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by flanders (Post 24525658)
mpg drop during winter is mostly because of low engine temp, it runs way richer until temps gets up to normal.
Use a engine block heater if you want to save on gas and also save on engine wear.
Not sure how common engine heaters are in your region but up here in Sweden it's almost fitted as standard on all cars that gets winter use.
Also make sure you clutch free play is minimal, if the clutch isn't disengaging fully gear changing gets much harder.

How much drop in mpg are you seeing? Im used to calculate in km per litre, and I average about 7,5-8,5 km per litre, and during winter around 7-7,5. Horrible numbers! I dont do much highway driving. More city and country roads. I could never get 10 km out of a littre which sucks with fuel prices haha.

Block heater are not common in holland. Actually never heard of here.
Clutch disengagement is absolutely fine, my question was only concerning cold weather. Like now in +10-15C there is no problem at all but thanks for mentioning. In gear with the clutch disengaged (pushed to the floor) it revs freely for take off. ill double check next time.

simons 10-26-2018 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24525684)
This discussion is not quite as contentious as the "best engine oil" and "best differential oil" threads but will still produce a myriad of responses. :)

I ran Honda MTF until last year when I tried Royal Purple Syncromax. Still in the gearbox. You'll find a dozen alternates in other threads. Almost everyone, though, claims their gearbox shifts smoother after an oil change seemingly regardless of what they use. Frequent oil changes seem to be the key rather than what goes in there. Takes less than two quarts and if I'm under the car to change the engine oil it's only a few more minutes getting dirty changing the gearbox oil at the same time. Likewise using a full synthetic makes better sense even though it's not necessary.

You've already seen the notes in this thread. :)

-- Chuck

I think your analysis of people feeling better shifts after a change could indeed be a common thing, and not only brand related! Clever thinking.

Though I would still like to know if you felt a difference between the Oem and Royal Purple? Thats a synth right? I assume you tried it just because of curiosity? Well im very curious what you think now after a year of use?! Especially cold weather. Thanks!

simons 10-26-2018 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire (Post 24525671)
Redline MT-90.:thumbup:

have you used oem Mtf before the Redline? If so, can you tell a difference?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:42 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands