S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gearbox oil recommendation?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what everyone means when they say "notchy". I have a problem that's surfaced recently, which is shifting into 2nd I feel it almost grind. It got into gear every time, but it's as though I can feel a few teeth go past before it goes in. Is that what everyone means when saying "notchy?"

I replaced the clutch MC as it was leaking, adjusted the free play, and i just brought it out of storage and it happens still. Honda MTF changed last year and the year before. Clutch feels strong, no slipping. From what billman says, could it be clutch or rusty splines or...?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 91 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
I wonder what everyone means when they say "notchy". I have a problem that's surfaced recently, which is shifting into 2nd I feel it almost grind. It got into gear every time, but it's as though I can feel a few teeth go past before it goes in. Is that what everyone means when saying "notchy?"

I replaced the clutch MC as it was leaking, adjusted the free play, and i just brought it out of storage and it happens still. Honda MTF changed last year and the year before. Clutch feels strong, no slipping. From what billman says, could it be clutch or rusty splines or...?
Not likely the clutch or rusted splines. I know the feeling you describe. I think it tends to happen more in cooler temps and when the car is first driven cold, and it tends to go away when the tranny is fully warmed up in my experience. I think you have done some of the important steps thus far, make sure the clutch line has been properly bled. I would highly recommend Amsoil MTF, it works better in cooler temps and when the car is still cool. When I ran Amsoil it would shift smoothly in freezing winter temps, the synthetic base seems to help with that IMO. That 1st to 2nd crunch is quite common but you can make it better. I also like the shifter lube maintenance procedure to keep the feel smoother, I know Billman states that it does not affect actual shifting, but it does make the shifter feel better IMO which is always good.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i just have re-greased the shifter. it makes the gearbox feel more precise, smooth and far less notchy. especially the 3. gear grind was reduced by 90% afterwards.
i think the problem of the notchy feeling is caused by two things: shifter with old, worn grease and gear oil.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

give Amsoil MTF (5w30) a try and report back.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
Not likely the clutch or rusted splines. I know the feeling you describe. I think it tends to happen more in cooler temps and when the car is first driven cold, and it tends to go away when the tranny is fully warmed up in my experience. I think you have done some of the important steps thus far, make sure the clutch line has been properly bled. I would highly recommend Amsoil MTF, it works better in cooler temps and when the car is still cool. When I ran Amsoil it would shift smoothly in freezing winter temps, the synthetic base seems to help with that IMO. That 1st to 2nd crunch is quite common but you can make it better. I also like the shifter lube maintenance procedure to keep the feel smoother, I know Billman states that it does not affect actual shifting, but it does make the shifter feel better IMO which is always good.
Is the crunch reffered to with upshifting or downshifting into 1/2?
On a cold startup I can barely get the gear back into 1st (downshift) unless the car has come to an almost full stop. When warm no problems. Upshifting is never a problem when driving below vtec.

When revved to redline ap1 (warm car) and upshifitng to 2nd or 3rd (dont remember which one) I have gotten an occasional grind and car didnt wanna engage it seemed. It felt like a misshift. If I remember well it seemed as if I shifted "too quick". Im fairly certain the clutch was pressed fully before changing the gear but it could have been that I moved the stick quicker than my clutch foot? Although I think the fault was at the cars side
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I can do amsoil. I already have the shifter rebuild parts. But like billman said, it's just masking the problem. I don't want the clutch free play too tight. Not sure what else to do besides let the trans warm up and hesitate when shifting and shift at high rpm to start.

Edit: the almost crunch is only during upshift to 2nd, and shortly after startup. It goes away after driving around for a bit.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Try shifting at 5k rpm and up and see if it goes away.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts

I guess I can do amsoil. I already have the shifter rebuild parts. But like billman said, it's just masking the problem. I don't want the clutch free play too tight. Not sure what else to do besides let the trans warm up and hesitate when shifting and shift at high rpm to start.

Edit: the almost crunch is only during upshift to 2nd, and shortly after startup. It goes away after driving around for a bit.
What do you mean by clutch freeplay "too tight"?

Its either within the recommended spec, or you shouldn't be surprised by issues that arise.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM

That is somewhat normal, especially cold, and good that it goes away when fully warm. I think Amsoil will help, doing the shifter lube as you have planned is always good.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by simons View Post
Is the crunch reffered to with upshifting or downshifting into 1/2?
On a cold startup I can barely get the gear back into 1st (downshift) unless the car has come to an almost full stop. When warm no problems. Upshifting is never a problem when driving below vtec.

When revved to redline ap1 (warm car) and upshifitng to 2nd or 3rd (dont remember which one) I have gotten an occasional grind and car didnt wanna engage it seemed. It felt like a misshift. If I remember well it seemed as if I shifted "too quick". Im fairly certain the clutch was pressed fully before changing the gear but it could have been that I moved the stick quicker than my clutch foot? Although I think the fault was at the cars side
The crunch most people experience is on cold upshift at lower rpms.

To get into 1st gear on a downshift try to learn the double clutch downshift procedure, once you get it right you will be able to downshift into 1st much easier. On the S2000 you really need to stab the gas pedal heavily on rev-matched and double-clutch downshifts to get the revs to climb quickly.
The following users liked this post:
simons (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Gearbox oil recommendation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands