S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Getting lightweight flywheel, need to replace disc/bearings? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/getting-lightweight-flywheel-need-replace-disc-bearings-1192412/)

weenrock 03-10-2019 01:37 PM

Getting lightweight flywheel, need to replace disc/bearings?

My engine blew up last year at the race track I bought a salvaged donor car with 22k miles on it to swap both engine and tranny. I am planning to buy a lightweight flywheel this week to help with heel to shifting.

Since the clutch has 22k miles, and worked before I dismantled it, I figure I could just swap the flywheel as long as the condition of the disc, pressure plate, release bearing is in good condition. I normally would opt to replace the disc and bearing for preventative maintenance but the bearing is 160 and the disc is quite a bit too. See my struggle?

Slowcrash_101 03-11-2019 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by weenrock (Post 24575947)
My engine blew up last year at the race track I bought a salvaged donor car with 22k miles on it to swap both engine and tranny. I am planning to buy a lightweight flywheel this week to help with heel to shifting.

Since the clutch has 22k miles, and worked before I dismantled it, I figure I could just swap the flywheel as long as the condition of the disc, pressure plate, release bearing is in good condition. I normally would opt to replace the disc and bearing for preventative maintenance but the bearing is 160 and the disc is quite a bit too. See my struggle?

You can buy the Honda bearings from Nachi themselves for a good deal less. If the clutch disk is in good shape with plenty of meat left re-use it with confidence.

p# is Nachi BRG105

weenrock 03-11-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101 (Post 24576176)
You can buy the Honda bearings from Nachi themselves for a good deal less. If the clutch disk is in good shape with plenty of meat left re-use it with confidence.

p# is Nachi BRG105

You the man! I did this with my wheel bearings by finding the timken product number. Know of a reputable source other than ebay to buy the nachi bearing?

noodels 03-11-2019 03:15 PM

Also a look at springs on the disc for wear,not sure if there is any measurement for clearance ..? <clutch buzz>

Car Analogy 03-12-2019 07:33 AM

Is this an ap1 or ap2? If its the clutch buzz ap1 disk, you'll want to swap disk. If its the updated disk, and its still good, I would run it.

You can find photos online of old and new disk design, and visually see which one you have.

weenrock 03-14-2019 05:39 AM

It's an ap2 motor so it should be fine. I am pulling it out this weekend. Besides enay, are there other sources to find the nachi bearing?

roel03 03-14-2019 06:08 AM

So you're using the disk of a donor car, not your own disk that had 22k on it. I'd swap it out.

weenrock 03-14-2019 08:37 AM

I am using the donor engine, transmission, disc, pressure plate. All of which has 22k miles. The only thing I am replacing is the flywheel and throw out bearing per suggestion above. I will not be using the blown engines parts.