S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Having Trouble Repairing Secondary Air Pump Code P0410

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Having Trouble Repairing Secondary Air Pump Code P0410

My 2002 w/ 70k miles seems to have issues with the secondary air pump.

I took off the bumper and inspected the old pump, and it is toast. The front bumper is a shoddy repaint, so I assume there was some kind of front bumper damage and that's when the air pump bit the dust, although I'm curious as to what would make the pump tear itself to pieces like this:

I bought a used pump and contactor here in the Classifieds section. Installed them an hour ago, and when I turn the car on I can hear the pump relay go off but I do not hear the pump running. The temperature of the engine is at 1 bar, but I suppose it hasn't fully cooled down yet as it's 70 degrees outside. I replaced the pump and also the contactor assy. (#26 here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ENGINE+ROOM%29)

If the relay is going off but the pump isn't running, and I've replaced both the contactor and the pump, does anyone know what else it might be? From searching it seems like it could be the vacuum pump/lines or current sensor, but I have no idea how to diagnose either.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a kit that replaces all that crap from me. 60 shipped. No cels, no worries.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android ftw
Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 AM

I appreciate your effort to solve my problem, but that's not the solution I'm looking for. I'm trying to figure out why my air pump won't work.

I've tracked down section 11-148 of the S2000 Service Manual, Pulsed Secondary Air Injection System. There seems to be a lot of stuff where you measure voltage to test to see which part isn't working. I have no idea how to do this. Hopefully once the car cools down the pump will just start working, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a multimeter and figure out how to use it. D:
Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM

I just checked the fuse in the auxillary under hood fuse box, and it is gone. If I replace the fuse, does this mean my pump is going to explode? A little confused. The repair manual says to replace the short between the pump and fuse and then replace the air pump.

Does anyone know how to find the short, or if there is a short at all? Maybe the fuse blew after the air pump exploded? I'm not sure of the logic chain here.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, how long have you had P0410 with your S2? And for clarification, when you say that the fuse is gone, do you mean it was missing or the fuse blew?

Putting in a good fuse won't cause your pump to explode. I've only seen 1 other instance where the pump disintegrated like yours at https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/350254-cel-p0411/

Pop in a new 60A fuse, and plug everything back up for the air pump to test it out. If you have a short though, the worst you'll do is blow the new fuse, and then from there you can start tracing back the wires from the pump to locate the short.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can think of for the pump disintegrating as it did, is if the secondary air injection valve (back of the engine behind the fuel rail close to the firewall) is stuck open, then causing hot exhaust to flow back in to the pump when it's not on, and causing the pump plastic housing to melt. ┐('~`;)┌
Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

spinpio thanks for responding! i tried picking up a 60A fuse for the fuse box and it looks like it's a proprietary sizing. i bought the standard size and will have to drill the copper wings to make it fit. honda wants $16 and doesn't carry it in stock. advance auto wanted 4 and i have a machine shop i can sneak into over the weekend. sounds like i should have bought 2 lol

the pump was broken when i picked up the car. from what i can gather, it has been broken for ages. i picked up the car to fix the two CEL issues (fuel filler neck and air pump) and the TCT and resell.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM

cut the fuse, haven't drilled it. put it in without screwing it down and pump seemed to turn on. didn't get a chance to test but will hopefully do that today. i hope after this the pump has no problems and nothing kills it! i think the pump must have failed and then as a result, the fuse failed. is that possible do you think?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey zakiu, I recently went through the trouble of attempting to track down my P0410 and P0411 code and to be honest too many things needed to be replaced and the cost to repair seemed too high for what the secondary air injection system actually does. Looking at your air pump it looks like it's burning out,probably due to wear and tear brand new they're expensive for what they are, and used you run the risk of seeing this problem again/transferring this problem to someone else when/if you sell the car. There is a fix for the whole secondary air injection system and DFWs2k has them for sell. It's easy install. After this you can delete the whole secondary air injection system. Good Luck-Justin
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up Justin. I'm going to hope this fixes it. If I lose a second air pump, I'll probably go with the kit. Is there a reason I shouldn't just order a new one from the original creator for a few bucks more? $60 is pretty expensive for a used hacked together kit. i like to reward people for their hard work if possible.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/471...ypassremoveal/

Quick Reply: Having Trouble Repairing Secondary Air Pump Code P0410