S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Head Milling / Timing (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/head-milling-timing-1191577/)

DhaughnS2K 02-03-2019 05:39 AM

Head Milling / Timing

I have read through many threads on this topic but can't seem to find a definitive answer, so starting a new one here.
My MY04 was down on power and idling rough, so I did a leak down test and discovered the head gasket was leaking between cylinders 1&2, and 2&3.
Pulled the head and put a straight edge on it. There's definitely some warpage, but less than .008"
If I have the head machined flat and they take off less than the .008" max (per the Honda service manual), do I have to worry about making any timing adjustments?
The Honda manual doesn't address this.
I plan to use the OEM head gasket.
For reference, the car is bone stock with the exception of a Billman GenX TCT.

Appreciate any feedback I can get, thanks

Charper732 02-03-2019 06:05 AM

You can actually mill the head a lot more than .008" and not have valve clearance issues. The timing will be thrown off a little bit milling the head, but not really enough for you to notice a power difference. If you are concerned you can get adjustable cam gears.

DhaughnS2K 02-04-2019 03:18 AM

Thanks for the reply Charper732. By my measurements, the head warpage is only about .003"-.004", so I don't think the shop will need to mill more than that hopefully.
I'll update once I have everything back together.

Billman250 02-04-2019 03:44 AM

Any head mill more than .004 will skew the chain geometry, and accelerate wear of the chain and sprockets. A head gasket with comparable thickness added will put it back in range.

The limit it the manual does not account for the ongoing timing chain issue, where the current chain geo is near the limit.

windhund116 02-04-2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250 (Post 24561958)
Any head mill more than .004 will skew the chain geometry, and accelerate wear of the chain and sprockets. A head gasket with comparable thickness added will put it back in range.

The limit it the manual does not account for the ongoing timing chain issue, where the current chain geo is near the limit.

Thanks, again for injecting your experience in these matters. So for any head or block, measuring warped; needing 0.004" milling or greater --- prolly best to look for another undamaged head or block?

Car Analogy 02-04-2019 07:00 AM

A used part has its own risks. It maybe flat, but have other damage that is not immediately obvious.

Billman just said its ok to mill so long as you add back what was milled with that much thicker head gasket. If your only.issue is warped head, and you know the history of the motor otherwise (or at least have enough history to know there are no other significant issues with it), I would think it wiser to fimd out how much needs to be milled, then find what head gaskets are available, then mill motor to the gasket you'll use (mill it so with that gasket, its back to stock geometry).

DhaughnS2K 02-06-2019 06:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the great input. I received the head back and the shop milled .012".
The OEM head gasket is .030".
So, following Billman's advice, I should run a slightly thicker head gasket in the .040" range?

Does .012" (12 thousandths) make that much of a difference? I'm not questioning the experts here, just want to make sure that I have my decimals right.

thanks again

DhaughnS2K 02-07-2019 04:34 PM

Any thoughts on my last post? I’m ready to order the Cometic 87.5mm 0.04” gasket but want to make sure I’m doing the right thing here. Thanks again everyone who contributed information to this thread

Billman250 02-07-2019 04:43 PM

.012 is a lot to remove as far as the chain is concerned.

If they took off .012, and you are adding .010 with the new gasket, that is the right move.

Slowcrash_101 02-08-2019 06:24 AM

Increasing the thickness of the HG increases the squish area in the combustion chamber, so I wouldn't go too thick. Increasing the squish area too much leads to combustion instability.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_squish.shtml

Therefore one must consider both chain geometry, and effects on combustion from a thicker head gasket and arrive at a compromise.