S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help diagnosing a sound

Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing a sound

In the past week I've noticed a new sound coming from my s2k. I had to visit a client for work today that is right near my local Honda dealer and I'm cool with a service advisor there so I stopped in. He went for a test drive and swears he hears nothing. My passangers have said the same. I assume you would have to drive an s2k on a daily basis to figure out what is normal and what is not, because I hear it!

The sound is almost like . . .a clicking-ish sound. It would almost sound like a baseball card in the spokes of a kids bike. I'm almost hesitant to use the work "clicking" as I've heard things like bad CV joints and what not in a car that make an OBVIOUS click and this is nothing like that. The baseball card example is the best I can come up with. I hear it once the RPM's get moving, most noticeable around 3000-4000 RPM's around 30-ish MPH. Any higher than that I'm sure its still there but the car gets so loud as the RPM's climb its impossible to hear it. The noise isn't loud enough to be obvious. It seems to go with the acceleration of the car.

Things I have noticed when attempting to diagnose the noise:

1. I'm almost 100% positive it will make the noise weither the transmission is gear or not. I originally though it went away if you shifted to neutral and costed, but it turns out it is still there but only until the RPM's drop. Once they get down around there normal 1000-ish (coasting in neutral) the noise is gone. This makes me think it is not the transmission?

2. In an attempt to see if it makes the noise at all speeds, I got up to about 40 MPH in first gear (near redline) and then shifted to neutral (I've done the same thing in 2nd on a bigger road) and let the car coast so it would take longer for the RPM's to drop. It seems to only be there until the RPM's get down to the idle 1000-ish and then its gone. The car coasts for quite a ways at 30-ish MPH this way and I hear no noise. This makes me think it is not a tire/wheel or rear differential issue? I'm assuming if it was either of those it would make the noise as long as the car was moving? I hear it at 30-ish MPH if I'm in gear and driving, I don't hear it if I coast at 30 MPH once the RPM's fall down to idle.

I'm almost positive the noise is coming from the front of the car, but I can't be sure. It's to hard to really pin-point it. The dealer and my passangers think I'm nuts, but I've been going for short late night drives at night and when you are one of the few cars on the road you have plenty of time to listen to the car. My service advisor said I can stop by next week if I want and go for a ride with the shop foremen. See if he hears it and has any input. The car has plenty of warranty left, 2004 with 5,xxx miles.

Any replies are appeciated!

God's blessings,

- J
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jan 14 2006, 01:07 AM
sound like a baseball card in the spokes of a kids bike
I've used this exact statement to signal a bad Timing Chain Tensioner
Old 01-14-2006, 05:35 PM

I hear the same thing, no clue what is wrong.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 PM

Well at least I'm not alone. I noticed something tonight. It definitelty does make the noise EVEN WITH IN NEUTRAL AT A STOP if you rev the engine. I found if I stop and rev the engine to 3-4k rpm's then you can hear the noise. This makes me assume it has to be something non-tranny, clutch, diff, related. I suppose the timing chain tensioner is a possibility, but with these syptoms and at 5,000 miles? Whatever it is, its driving me nuts. I'm going to go back to the dealer on Monday and not leave until SOMEONE else hears it.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 AM

When I first got the car, I thought the sound was coming from the diff, so I got my diff fluid changed right away. But last month, I got out of the car with the engine on and I heard the rattling still. Pop the hood and the clicking should be quite noticable. Anyways keep me updated please.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 AM

I've put t-chain tensioners in s2k's with under 10k miles.

I am personally on my third one.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:38 AM

What causes those to go bad? Any other way to tell for sure?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM

I'd have to hear it for myself to know. I'd know instantly if I heard it.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 AM

So do you think I should take it back to the dealer and try to make them hear it? Is it causing any harm right now?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Well its official. I'm the only one who can hear it. I've tried popping the hood and that doesn't make it any louder. I still definitely hear it though.

I spent the afternoon with my father to catch the colts steelers game, afterwards I tried to get him to hear it, no dice.

At this point I'm thinking of going to the local s2k forum and seeing if I can find a member who is used to hearing the engine on a day to day basis and see if they would be willing to listen, lol.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing a sound