S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help me identify this pulley / alternator question

Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify this pulley / alternator question

So I've been having some high pitched ringing coming from the engine compartment from 40-60+mph. It seems to only be audible under load while driving. I took a video of it while driving using my blackberry, but I couldn't hear the noise on playback. I might try and get a more credible video later today/tonight.

Background:
I have a MY 01 with 94k miles, with everything original except tires (star specs on oem 16's)

The noise really sounds like a bearing of some sort, so I checked my pulleys after some searching and noticed I could wiggle my idle tensioner pulley. Using the long screwdriver to ear trick, I could hear the bad bearings.

Couple bucks later, I replace the pulley and belt [while I'm at it] yet the noise is still there.

Upon inspecting the other pulleys while I had the belt off, this pulley seemed to be the noisiest of the bunch.

I've been going through the helms manual and several oem honda part sites trying to find a number for it to no avail. Is there a specific name for this pulley other than just 'another' tensioner pulley? I'd like to replace this anyway just based off of the noise I heard from spinning it. A Honda part # would be incredibly helpful.

I have this weird hunch that the high pitched whine (like a sine wave) is coming from the alternator. I took the car to autozone to get a quick free check and the oem honda battery, starter, and alternator checked out just fine with regards to amperage.

My question is, since this alternator is 10 years old, could the bearing inside of it have gone bad? I thought maybe if I had a bad battery or alt, it would whine due to a higher load, but that can't be the case.
  • The tranny oil was changed with oem mtf maybe 10k miles ago and has zero leaks. I recently replaced a washer on my diff and redid that as well.
  • The noise isn't affected when turning the A/C on, so I don't think it has anything to do with the compressor. A/c is still super cold.
  • Some might say it could be a front wheel bearing, but the noise isn't affected while turning, and I could get zero movement wiggling any tires from 9 and 3 o'clock.
  • I could turn the water pump pulley cover just fine with no odd noises.
  • Could it be my tensioner assembly? Do these things make noise when they go bad? Is there a way to check this?

Throughout my searches, I'm not the only one who has had this issue. I doubt that somehow a ground randomly came undone somewhere just because.

Opinions and advice are welcomed. Should I replace the pulley anyway- assuming it's probably less $$ than a reman. alternator? Or has someone replaced their alt already with this audible nuisance?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

That is the idler pulley.

The moveable one is the tensioner pulley.