S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! My car is making a bad noise!

Old 02-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is coming from the exhaust side of the engine, sounds sorta like a helicoptor.

I thought I might be an exhaust leak, but I am pretty sure it isn't coming from either end of the header. (so my ears tell me)

Inside the car at low RPM's it sounds like a ticking noise/helicoptor noise.

My oil was changed almost 4000 miles ago and I was planning on changing it again this weekend. The level is fine, as with all my other fluids.

I guess I will be taking the car in.
Old 02-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Administrator

anyone?

can anyone offer me any help?
Old 02-14-2001, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you hear the noise change when you change rpms? any funky smells? how's your gas mileage?
Old 02-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Administrator

it goes away at higher rpms, (or the engine noise masks it)

it just started today, no notice in change of fuel economy, yet. nor any smells. I was out in the parking lot today with my head in the engine compartment trying to isolate it.

Y? Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2001, 12:00 PM

Is it under load only? Have you listened to the engine with the hood open?

This may help to pinpoint where the sound is coming from - it may help to diagnose if a part has failed.

I would at least take it past the dealer so they can hear the sound and make an 'informed' diagnosis.

Good luck - I hope its nothing serious.
Old 02-14-2001, 12:07 PM

I've had the same noise coming from my car for about 2 1/2 weeks now, gets softer when the car warms up and goes away completely while driving... took it to my dealer who said it was just the vtec warming up, i'm trying to get a second opinion though... i'd think the most high-tech engine on the road today would run a little smoother.
Old 02-14-2001, 12:23 PM

He said VTEC was warmimg up? I'm no mechanic but I don't see how a solenoid would need to heat up. It's either on or off depending on the RPM. If it's below operating temp then it won't even engage. Try another dealer.
You could also make a poor man's mechanic stethoscope out of a piece of rubber tubing and a long screwdriver. Hold one end to your ear and poke around with the other. You can tell where it's the loudest. Just stay away from any moving parts. I won't be held responsible for someone getting caught up in the engine.

[Edited by wirejock on 02-14-2001 at 01:28 PM]
Old 02-14-2001, 02:03 PM

Hi Krazik, I noticed the sound you mention when we spoke earlier today. It definately sounded like an exhaust leak, in that it changed with RPM. I couldn't tell if it was coming from up front or from behind but it sounded like it was from one cylinders exaust (at the header) and not smoothed out by the muffler.
Old 02-14-2001, 02:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Mugen header is pretty difficult to torque down evenly. An bad exhaust leak probably would sound like a helicopter.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would vote for an exhaust leak. Try loosening and then retorque in the appropriate pattern (i.e. not sequential). If this fails take a length of clear tubing (available at the local pet store) and search for the sound. The tube will muffle the other sounds and allow you to pinpoint the problem....hopefully. Personally I'd get the tubing first and then check out the header area. There are seven nuts holding the mainfold in place. Torque from the center top bolt out. Make sure you replace both the gasket and the nuts when you add a new header...did you? If you didn't your torque values will be low.....and you may get a leak....which will sound like a helicopter....

Quick Reply: Help! My car is making a bad noise!