S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help new AP2 owner VSA AND TRIANGLE (!) lights on

Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well got call this morning, they told me my side engine mount is bad and I should go ahead and replace all of them. Plus rotors are warped and a wheel is bent. Rotors are fine as didn’t notice anything when braking and a have not noticed a rear tire bent as all the shaking was from front. SO I ask should I replace all the engine mounts like they are telling me I need to or just doing the side will be fine? In all my cars I have never had to replaced an engine mount unless doing engine swaps. Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2s2kdude
Well got call this morning, they told me my side engine mount is bad and I should go ahead and replace all of them. Plus rotors are warped and a wheel is bent. Rotors are fine as didn’t notice anything when braking and a have not noticed a rear tire bent as all the shaking was from front. SO I ask should I replace all the engine mounts like they are telling me I need to or just doing the side will be fine? In all my cars I have never had to replaced an engine mount unless doing engine swaps. Thanks for any insight.
The engine mounts usually tear on our cars within 100,000 miles depending on driving style. You can find a lot of literature about it on here. Engine mounts were completely torn on my cars at 150K miles.
However replacing the engine mounts with OEM units will leave them susceptible to tearing again. There are aftermarket solutions that are more robust.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Good to know. I would like to do some track days with my car and read on here people tend to like the Megan Racing replacement mounts. I’m wondering if I should look to go that way. I found a set for $310.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Okay sorry have not been active as I have been traveling for work and Christmas. I got new engine mounts and replaced both with Megan racing ones even though only one was broken. The job was actually pretty straightforward.

I started driving the car to do some errands locally and having fun with the rpm range, everything seemed good until randomly the front started to shake again. I was really confused no lights came on tires and wheels are good as I even tried another set of s2000 wheels/tires.

So im really confused now. I feel like it’s almost something electrical as it randomly happens and when it does it’s constant from 0-70mph and every gear. BUT whenever I shit the car off even just for 1 minute and start to drive it’s good to go like there was never a problem. Again no lights are coming on and happens with any wheel and tire combo. IF ANYONE has had a similar situation please let me know what you did to fix it. I really want to try to get some track days in this upcoming season but not comfortable with this randomly happening. Thank you for any and all advice/help.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2s2kdude
Okay sorry have not been active as I have been traveling for work and Christmas. I got new engine mounts and replaced both with Megan racing ones even though only one was broken. The job was actually pretty straightforward.

I started driving the car to do some errands locally and having fun with the rpm range, everything seemed good until randomly the front started to shake again. I was really confused no lights came on tires and wheels are good as I even tried another set of s2000 wheels/tires.

So im really confused now. I feel like it’s almost something electrical as it randomly happens and when it does it’s constant from 0-70mph and every gear. BUT whenever I shit the car off even just for 1 minute and start to drive it’s good to go like there was never a problem. Again no lights are coming on and happens with any wheel and tire combo. IF ANYONE has had a similar situation please let me know what you did to fix it. I really want to try to get some track days in this upcoming season but not comfortable with this randomly happening. Thank you for any and all advice/help.

where are you located? when does the vibration happen? under load? letting off? steady driving?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 AM

I’m located in Dayton Ohio. And once it starts it’s constant does not go away unless I pull over shut the car off for like 2-3 minutes and then it’s seems to be good until it happens again.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM

The procedure is to short pins 9 & 4 on the OBD port. How did you manage to get under the dash to short the plug? I can't even see it, although I can feel it.