S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Help!! P0336 P1361 P1366 are randomly together (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/help-p0336-p1361-p1366-randomly-together-1192021/)

v10killer 02-22-2019 03:50 AM

[[[FIXED]]] Help!! P0336 P1361 P1366 are randomly together

Ok. Ill make this a quick short story if i can. So about three months ago i put new OEM plugs in my 2001 ap1 with 145000 miles. (intake, test pipe, exhaust are my mods) About two weeks ago (30,000 miles later) i started to get a random misfire on cold starts that would go away when warmed up. Kept getting worse every day. After the first two days the check engine light would flash when the car was started and the misfire was crazy bad.

Well i drove the car for a few more minutes anyways with the CEL light flashing (bad idea i know but i was at that point of whatever) Then it would stop flashing and run fine. Thought that this may be valves getting loose and tightening up when the car got up to running temperature. Done the valve adjustment same problem still happening. Had another set of coil packs and fuel injectors I swapped in just being curious. Same thing. This went on for a week or so. Warm mornings it would do fine. No misfires at all no flashing CEL. Anyways was swapping back in my old injectors and decided to pull the plugs. They looked terrible with gunk around the threaded area. went and got a new set of just normal copper plugs to try without spending 50.00 for four spark plugs and put them in. Miss fires gone. I was like awesome i can move on to my next set of problems. Cleared codes with a scanner and reset the ecu for the idle learn process. Everything was great.

The next morning on the way to work cars running perfect no issues get to work. Go through my normal day and here comes time to get off. As I am leaving work just idling through the parking lot car just losing everything it has like the injectors just shut off. My thoughts were ????? Press the clutch cars still runs but idling under 500 RPM and real shaky. Immediately turn the car off sit there for a minutes reading codes and i had these three P0336, P1361, P1366 stored. Keep in mind I am still sitting in the middle of the road at work. Tried to start the car. Ran perfectly fine. Scratching my head at this point.

Leave to drive home runs fine for a few minutes until I go to get on the interstate and as i am accelerating does the same thing again. Like the car just dies so i press the clutch cars idling super low. (I'm still coasting on on ramp) Reach down and turn the key off let the car die completely and try to restart it. Starts fine. Runs the rest of the way home with no issues. This was Wednesday of this week. It is still doing this same issue two days later (Friday) and its completely random under different circumstances. Uphill, Downhill, Full Throttle, Light Throttle just random.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause all these sensors to come on but the car still run? Everything i read is when someone gets any of these codes the car straight dies/turns completely off.

I though maybe the TCT which i will rebuild in a few days just to see when we have dry weather but if the worm gear is worn that much i wouldn't think it could be intermittent like it is. It would just be all the time. IDK hopefully someone can help me out with these problems or point me in the right direction. I definitely don't want to throw money at the problem to try and hit or miss this issue.

Issue wound up being the spark plug gap. Always check and then double check. I put them at 34 instead of 44.

fatjoe10 02-22-2019 04:30 AM

Check your power supply (alternator, battery, grounds) first.

VashTheStampede 02-22-2019 05:24 AM

There are two TDC sensors on the valve cover that you've likely disconnected during the spark plug change. Check both the front and the back, and ensure that the connectors are properly seated. They require a little extra "oomph" to get seated. If those are still plugged in, you may have nicked the wire harness.

v10killer 02-22-2019 05:37 AM

Did this. Even sprayed with contact cleaner.

v10killer 02-22-2019 05:38 AM

Alternator, Battery are good. Grounds I need to check also.

v10killer 03-01-2019 01:39 AM

Just to check. Added a ground straight from battery to body. No changes.

v10killer 03-05-2019 11:30 AM

Rebuilt tct wiggled all grounds and wires. If it does it and I turn key off then immediately back on without pressing the clutch. Runs fine until it does it again.

_valtsu_ 03-05-2019 02:02 PM

On service manual there are guides how to check crankshaft position- and tdc sensors with multimeter.

v10killer 03-05-2019 04:30 PM

yeah. battery died on my old trusty radio shack one. gonna go borrow one from my grandparents. hell maybe he will even let me have one of his.

v10killer 04-10-2019 03:57 PM

Update. Got a new Battery. No Luck. New Oem Timing Chain Tensioner. No Changes. Also replaced the Crank Position Sensor. Still no different. Going to put in new Plugs tomorrow. Highly doubt that will be the problem but they need to be replaced. Also I will change both Cam Sensors on the valve cover with new OEM. Checked all wires for bad areas and all checked good. With a meter. I guess if these do not work I will be replacing the ECU as a last resort. If that does not work then I have no clue what the problem would be.