S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to Clean IAC Valve

Old 11-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Bumping an old DIY. I was going to do this to see if it helps resolve the stumbling idle I have sometimes, however in this DIY (or any thread on the IACV) there is no mention of the torque value of the bolts. I looked in my 2000-2007 Helms manual (pg 11-127) and although there is an arrow pointing to the IACV, there is no further page number or technical information about it (no diagrams etc).

Can someone point me to what the torque values are (or where I can find more technical information about it in the Helm's manual)?

thanks
I believe this is what you're looking for

Best to download the Honda manual
http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/Ho...e%20Manual.pdf

The following users liked this post:
LaosguyAP1 (12-14-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yessir that's it! I haven't been able to find an online version for my model year which is 2004 and this pdf manual is 00-03.

For future posterity, in both manuals this is on page 9-2.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine's an '05 as well and I've been using the manual for years.
I'm assuming for the most part, just about all the specs are same.
Eventually when it comes time to really open up the motor beyond a head gasket replacement, then I'll probably get an AP2 book
Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 PM

I'll send you a couple scans from mine for being so helpful.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Another question, in the manual it says to redo the coolant but no DIY I've seen has done so. Is the manual stating this in the event air got into the system? When I look at the videos, by taking the IACV off doesn't this automatically introduce an air bubble into the line?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 AM

Another question, in the manual it says to redo the coolant but no DIY I've seen has done so. Is the manual stating this in the event air got into the system? When I look at the videos, by taking the IACV off doesn't this automatically introduce an air bubble into the line?
Bumping for hopefully an answer. If coolant leaks out of the IAC valve when it's removed, replacing the valve would then trap an air bubble, possibly compromising coolant circulation. Will I have to bleed the cooling system after doing this cleaning process (as per the Service Manual)?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Bumping for hopefully an answer. If coolant leaks out of the IAC valve when it's removed, replacing the valve would then trap an air bubble, possibly compromising coolant circulation. Will I have to bleed the cooling system after doing this cleaning process (as per the Service Manual)?
....aaaaand I just found the answer to my own question:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-943369/page2/
The following users liked this post:
Mike in Detroit (12-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must say when i read these posts it does make me think this is easy get on and do it only problem is im me,Now im not a complete noob with cars and can do oil changes plugs ect so hey why not try this.WOW is all i can say so my day starts with buying some carb cleaner.
1,.T aking of the map sensor oh no the screws are rounded off so they need removing and replacing.
2. Next cleaning the sensor and the hole in the manifold blow out the carb cleaner ohh ive blown the rubber round gasket out and its somewhere in the engine bay (hour later and a lot of swearing i finally find it at the back of the engine bay luckily it didnt go down into a little hole or would of needed a new one).Quickly replaced the map sensor and cable tied it up 1ST JOB COMPLETE and im done already.
3. Remove pcv valve and clean that out OH NO the washer has dropped between the fuel rail so i have to take that apart too retrieve the washer, pcv cleaned and quickly screwed back on.
4. Remove idle control valve and relevant hoses. (so far so good)
5 disconnect battery and take out back up fuse.
6 .all going good so far,
7. remove rubber gasket from idle control valve place one side (dont want to misshape that by spraying carb cleaner all over it)
8.Clean valve making sure i clean every nook and cranny then just to be extra careful dry the carb cleaner off with an air line.
9.Replace rubber gasket and attach unit back onto the car making sure not to over tighten 10mm bolts and that the gasket is in place.
10. re attach the fuse and connect the battery.
11. Start car and keep at 3k till the car is up too temp.
12. NOW THE SHIT HITS THE FAN.
13. Engine light comes on.
14. EPS light comes on
15. Car is idling pretty good considering.
16. Look underneath car OH WHAT A SURPRISE COOLANT LEAKING FROM The idle control valve.
17. so all that being careful with the gasket didnt mean shit.
18. Undo the valve get sprayed with hot coolent (NOW IM REALLY PISSED)
19. Use ITV gasket sealant on the rubber gasket as im just done with this now.
20. Waiting for it to dry.
Now wont go above 3k !!!!!!!!

So thats where i am atm.

Do you guys think i should of bothered comments/Help below please lol

Last edited by Waynedru2000; 08-10-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:30 AM

G'day mate, welcome to s2ki and sorry you're having problems. Um, maybe someone more technical will chime in, but using gasket sealant instead of a brand new gasket for the IACV is a really bad idea imo. Why not do it right and use brand new gaskets and washers when working on the car? That's what Honda recommends, along with many on S2ki.com. It's possible that it's not sealed properly because of this, and also what torque specs did you use? Not sure you have a proper seal...

Also, highly recommend investing in a JIS screwdriver, which stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. Japanese cars and motorcycles do not use Philips head screws, but JIS, it is a different design and the reason why so many people strip out MAP sensor screws and rotor screws. JIS works amazing in Philips head has well, but Philips strips JIS screws.

Do you have a code reader to tell you what's going on?

What the F is JIS?

Vessel JIS #2 Vessel JIS #2

Vessel #2 Impact Vessel #2 Impact
Old 08-10-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day mate, welcome to s2ki and sorry you're having problems. Um, maybe someone more technical will chime in, but using gasket sealant instead of a brand new gasket for the IACV is a really bad idea imo. Why not do it right and use brand new gaskets and washers when working on the car? That's what Honda recommends, along with many on S2ki.com. It's possible that it's not sealed properly because of this, and also what torque specs did you use? Not sure you have a proper seal...

Also, highly recommend investing in a JIS screwdriver, which stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. Japanese cars and motorcycles do not use Philips head screws, but JIS, it is a different design and the reason why so many people strip out MAP sensor screws and rotor screws. JIS works amazing in Philips head has well, but Philips strips JIS screws.

Do you have a code reader to tell you what's going on?

What the F is JIS?

Vessel JIS #2

Vessel #2 Impact
i dont have a code reader no im going to buy a new gasket now but really think the map sensor is playing up too as i cant now drive it over 3k revs as the engine light is on (or is this a limp mode) ?
if any one knows where i can source a map sensor and an idle control valve or the electrical side of it that would be great. Seems these measures hinder rather than help as i did everything this forum said now ive gone from a working car with a small idle issue to a non working car that wont idle or drive over 3k at all

Last edited by Waynedru2000; 08-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: How to Clean IAC Valve