S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to Clean IAC Valve

Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! I gotta check this one out.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Feb 29 2008, 10:19 PM
when i push the clutch in to just idle to a stop sign or light, the revs die really quickly toward the end before it hits idle. dirty iac?
Im in your shoes bro! Mine does this all the time! First time i noticed it was coming back from Ensenada being stuck on the border in traffic waiting to cross.... Well every other time i would pull up the RPM's would drop and just right before it sounds like its gonna die it just comes back up like nothing...
Old 05-31-2008, 01:02 PM

So do we just spray the IAC and clean it all out or also spray the carb cleaner into the TB?.....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can spray the TB too...but unless you take the TB off, it won't clean the part that really needs it. On the backside of the TB there is a small passage that takes air to the MAP. That air passage can get carbon build up too. The only way to get at it is by pulling the TB off. Be prepared with either a new gasket or some gasket material to make a new one...when you pull the TB is is very hard not to mess up the gasket.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM

This combined with a map whack and ECU reset fixed my low idle upon clutch depression in a test run of 20 stops.

I will find out tomorrow if it made a real difference, but it was nice not seeing my engine catch itself =)

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM

Yup! I just got finished doing the IAC clean up and ran the car for a bit and it seems to be responding fine to throttle depression and clutch.... Gonna reset the ECU and BAMB!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 AM

I started experiencing some mild (over a week period) and then extreme unstable bogging, jerking, loss of power in the lower rpm ranges (2-3k), and unstable idling. The car was unreliable, unsafe, and a bitch to drive. No CEL. A half a tank of gas. Fresh plugs, oil and filter, and new air filter. No abnormal noises or fluid levels.

I searched through all the threads.

Replaced air filter and peeked down the intake. It was clean.

I cleaned the MAP channel. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=515674 It was fine, no blockage.
So I took on the IACV. Removed the cannon plug, coolant hoses, unbolted the IAC (Honda calls it a VALVE ASSY, ROTARY AIR CONTROL), removed, cleaned, inspected and reinstalled the valve.

That was three days ago. The car is running the way it used to, so far, so good.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR,Jun 4 2008, 10:52 AM
I started experiencing some mild (over a week period) and then extreme unstable bogging, jerking, loss of power in the lower rpm ranges (2-3k), and unstable idling. The car was unreliable, unsafe, and a bitch to drive. No CEL. A half a tank of gas. Fresh plugs, oil and filter, and new air filter. No abnormal noises or fluid levels.

I searched through all the threads.

Replaced air filter and peeked down the intake. It was clean.

I cleaned the MAP channel. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=515674 It was fine, no blockage.
So I took on the IACV. Removed the cannon plug, coolant hoses, unbolted the IAC (Honda calls it a VALVE ASSY, ROTARY AIR CONTROL), removed, cleaned, inspected and reinstalled the valve.

That was three days ago. The car is running the way it used to, so far, so good.
I still have to do the MAP WHACK mod to mine....

Did you reset the ECU? Some say it help start off fresh so give it a try and see what happens.... GL
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

No ECU reset.

I did check the Volts and Ohms of the TPS from this thread - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...=478799&st=100 - They were fine, as well.

If this problem reoccurs I'll buy and install a new IAC and if the resaults are favorable, I'll post up.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR,Jun 4 2008, 12:02 PM
If this problem reoccurs I'll buy and install a new IAC and if the resaults are favorable, I'll post up.
It reoccured and a new one was installed this morn.

The test drive put a on my face.

Still have not reset the ECU.

Quick Reply: How to Clean IAC Valve