S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how hard is it to install springs?

Old 12-18-2001, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to install springs?

well i dont have my rims on my car right now because they are getting powder coated. and since my car is gonna be sitting on jack stands for a week and a half i was considering installing some springs. i know you need a spring compressor which you can rent right? besides that is the labor really though for the not so mehanicly inclined? also what springs do you guys reccomend, i want some that will not give the car worse handling i.e neuspeed springs. what do you guys think of the h&r sports or the kgmm's? which ones are better? and how much do they lower the car? thanks guys...
Old 12-18-2001, 10:04 PM

I have the KG/mm DR21 Race springs on my car and they're GREAT! I normally run with 18" OZ's and there's NO rubbing/scratching etc. Also, the dual-rate technology of the KG/mm's are the closest thing to going with all-out coilovers.

In my experience, the stock shocks are sufficient in handling the stiffer springs, but the ride does get a bit rougher/harsher.

I got mind installed by a shop and it didn't take them very long at all. Looked pretty straigh-forward to me!
Old 12-18-2001, 10:24 PM

i have not done spring installations on the s2k, but had done it on acura tl and rx-7. i can tell you even with the right equipment, its no easy job, especially if you had no prior experience. if you are not careful, you can easily damage your car. if you can afford to buy springs you should be able to pay someone to do it for you. good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:11 AM

just installed the H&R springs last night, and I'm delighted with the results.

The whole process took 2 hours! Not very long, but the friend I was working with was very experienced with springs. it was a tough install. The rear has preload without the struts, so it took three of us to push down the control arms.

the front was easier than expected with the tip posted. Remove the two bolts holding the upper control arm to the body of the car, from there it is easy.

So all in all, I'm very happy. However if you don't have the right tools, better take it somewhere.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eddie
[B]The rear has preload without the struts, so it took three of us to push down the control arms.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shamu
[B]I have the KG/mm DR21 Race springs on my car and they're GREAT!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand progressive rate to be either mutiple (more than two) or a constantly changing wind.
The dual rate should be a corse winding and a fine winding butted together so there is really only two rates.

With the front sus on the S2000, you are supposed to remove a ball joint, and the rear is just 3 bolts/nuts
I dont see anything about a preload on the sus. Just the shock assembly, and they come out as a unit, so any compressing is done off the car.

If your lowering alot, you'll need an alignment since your rear toe will be increased by the control arm and also your camber.

Now that I think about it the preload must have been the sway bar pushing up, when you raise one side of the car at a time?
Old 12-19-2001, 01:12 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if youve installed springs before, the fronts should be pretty straight forward and i dare to say "easy". the rears on the other hand is a total total pain in the ass. i got the fronts on in about 30 minutes, but i couldnt do the rears myself so i had to bring her in.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:24 PM

The left rear looks like a pain in the ass because the bolts are under the fuel filler tube. There are at least two ways to get the fronts off without separating the lower ball joint.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when having my H&R's installed at a performance shop, the guys needed the same amount of time for the left rear as they did for the other 3 COMBINED!!!

Quick Reply: how hard is it to install springs?