S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you done a fluid change and inspected the magnetic drain plug for metal bits? What does that look like?

Is there any vibration from the diff?

You could try running 190w diff fluid for extra protection and keep your fingers crossed. Check the pinion nut to see if it's come loose. Mine came loose somehow.

Regarding a used diff, why wouldn't you just buy a rebuilt diff from s2kpuddymod and not worry about whether it's damaged. You can't inspect it for damage unless you open it up or test drive with it installed.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
Have you done a fluid change and inspected the magnetic drain plug for metal bits? What does that look like?

Is there any vibration from the diff?

You could try running 190w diff fluid for extra protection and keep your fingers crossed. Check the pinion nut to see if it's come loose. Mine came loose somehow.

Regarding a used diff, why wouldn't you just buy a rebuilt diff from s2kpuddymod and not worry about whether it's damaged. You can't inspect it for damage unless you open it up or test drive with it installed.
Back when the noise started i did change the fluid and inspected the drain plug. Couldnt find any metal bits and fluid looks pretty normal.

No vibrations

Il check out the pinion nut and see if its loose.

Im not sure how much s2kpuddymod charges for rebuilt diffs. I know you can get a used Diff now days between $400-$600, but then again the risk of buying something damaged. Il shoot puddymod a message
Old 03-04-2017, 11:46 PM

The bearings in the diff may be damaged, causing this noise. I have a whining noise in my diff also loudest at 40mph, but I wouldn't describe it as howling although we could be hearing the same noise and using different words. I also cannot take a video of the noise because it wouldn't get picked up very well.

Since I have no vibration, I just run 190w and cross my fingers. Perhaps you could try that also if you want to try your luck to save some money.

Is your diff used, or is your vehicle used? Meaning there might be a history with this diff that you don't know about?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Maybe I missed this. Please tell us you're NOT using Genuine Honda Differential Oil in the differential. The diff requires API GL5 gear oil.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry for your luck man. If you are looking to swap the diff I have my AP2 unit for $500. It was silent as could be when I took it out. I only took it out because I moved up to the R200 kit. PM me if you need it.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Maybe I missed this. Please tell us you're NOT using Genuine Honda Differential Oil in the differential. The diff requires API GL5 gear oil.

-- Chuck
As long as ive owned this car never used honda diff fluid. Ive used Mobil 1 75w 90 for most of its life and tried Amsoil 75w 110 the last time I flushed the fluid.

Originally Posted by jyeung528
The bearings in the diff may be damaged, causing this noise. I have a whining noise in my diff also loudest at 40mph, but I wouldn't describe it as howling although we could be hearing the same noise and using different words. I also cannot take a video of the noise because it wouldn't get picked up very well.

Since I have no vibration, I just run 190w and cross my fingers. Perhaps you could try that also if you want to try your luck to save some money.

Is your diff used, or is your vehicle used? Meaning there might be a history with this diff that you don't know about?
I dont call it whining because its not a high pitched whine, its more of a roaring. Il try getting a video once again.

If I remember correctly this noise started when I got my stage 4 clutch. Not immediately after the install but while learning to drive with such a aggressive clutch. I remember giving the car throttle to get onto the highway and when shifting into the next gear I accidentally let the clutch out to quickly and it seemed to have banged into the next gear. Right after that incident is when this noise started. I quickly flushed the Diff fluid and found no metal bits , so I figured it was ok. I used Amsoil Diff fluid ( i believe 75w 110) . The sound didnt seem as bad with the exhaust I had on the car, but now that its back to stock I hear it alot more.

My Diff is the original Diff with the car. I bought the car about 7 years ago with zero issues and low miles.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
Sorry for your luck man. If you are looking to swap the diff I have my AP2 unit for $500. It was silent as could be when I took it out. I only took it out because I moved up to the R200 kit. PM me if you need it.
Hey dude thanks for the offer, il definitely let you know.
The following users liked this post:
hatrickstu (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
As long as ive owned this car never used honda diff fluid. Ive used Mobil 1 75w 90 for most of its life and tried Amsoil 75w 110 the last time I flushed the fluid.

I dont call it whining because its not a high pitched whine, its more of a roaring. Il try getting a video once again.

If I remember correctly this noise started when I got my stage 4 clutch. Not immediately after the install but while learning to drive with such a aggressive clutch. I remember giving the car throttle to get onto the highway and when shifting into the next gear I accidentally let the clutch out to quickly and it seemed to have banged into the next gear. Right after that incident is when this noise started. I quickly flushed the Diff fluid and found no metal bits , so I figured it was ok. I used Amsoil Diff fluid ( i believe 75w 110) . The sound didnt seem as bad with the exhaust I had on the car, but now that its back to stock I hear it alot more.

My Diff is the original Diff with the car. I bought the car about 7 years ago with zero issues and low miles.
sounds like you do not have clutch delay valve correct?

if no vibration, try 140 or 190 amsoil diff fluid and cross your fingers.

if paranoid, get that used diff offered here or rebuild.

at the very least, the noise is indicative of some damage, the longevity of the functionality is unknown.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same noise in my 07 S

Hi all, after reading all posts no doubt in my mind i have the same noise. Was hoping it was tires but I really think it's the diff. Bought with 55k and changed all fluids immediately. Summer driver only. I did a flat tow to Denver from Mich behind my Motorhome. Honda says not to but read a post here someplace that a guy did a 10k flat tow with no problems. Seems i noticed the noise sometime acter we got home. Anybody think the tow could have damaged the diff?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM

flatbed tow is what you're supposed to do right?

was your car in neutral?

Quick Reply: Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.