S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
In my personal experience, both of the diffs I broke were substantially noisier on decel coming to a stop (before they broke obviously). Under power and cruising they were quiet. I can't tell from this video if that is the case. Have you jacked the car up and shook the wheels to see if a bearing may be bad?
This below is from a previous post on how the noise started. just thought ide share that since your new to the thread. Thanks for your inputs.

"I dont call it whining because its not a high pitched whine, its more of a roaring. Il try getting a video once again.

If I remember correctly this noise started when I got my stage 4 clutch. Not immediately after the install but while learning to drive with such a aggressive clutch. I remember giving the car throttle to get onto the highway and when shifting into the next gear I accidentally let the clutch out to quickly and it seemed to have banged into the next gear. Right after that incident is when this noise started. I quickly flushed the Diff fluid and found no metal bits , so I figured it was ok. I used Amsoil Diff fluid ( i believe 75w 110) . The sound didnt seem as bad with the exhaust I had on the car, but now that its back to stock I hear it alot more.

My Diff is the original Diff with the car. I bought the car about 7 years ago with zero issues and low miles."
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

possible it's clutch related and you're mistaken on where the noise is coming from. ?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since a few responses point to the diff, I'm just wondering if a dying diff would still make noise when coasting in neutral? OP mentioned that no noise when he is in neutral, and he could only hear it in gear.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:06 PM

depends on how it's dying.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Update on this issue. I still havent done anything about it. Noise is still there. Today I had the car up on jack stands for a oil change and i said to myself let me try running it on jack stands to see if i hear anything. To my surprise the noise was alot worse, it definitely sounded like something broken in the rear, i was scared to go above 30mph as i thought something would break. I was alone so i was unable to have my ear under the car to pinpoint the noise, will try again once someone comes home to help me out. What do you guys think about this? The noise is way worse when the car is in the air.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 AM

were you able to pinpoint the location of the noise from putting the car in the air?

perhaps if someone is there helping you, they can take a video from the outside or at least pinpoint the location of the noise with certainty.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
were you able to pinpoint the location of the noise from putting the car in the air?

perhaps if someone is there helping you, they can take a video from the outside or at least pinpoint the location of the noise with certainty.
No not yet, waiting for a helper to come home. Again even on jackstands the noise is only there when in gear. Il post back more info once i try pinpointing it
Old 05-27-2017, 08:57 AM

So was able to get under the car this morning, noise seems to be coming from the front part of the diff. The black colored area, where the drive shaft connects to the diff. im gonna drain the diff now , see what I see in the fluid. Inputs?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

U sure its not the output bearing of the trans? its common they can go bad, and the noise could transfer back to the diff.... I would unbolt the drive shaft, on jacks, go through gears and see if you hear it, if you do, its not diff, its a output bearing most likely in the tail of the trans.
The following users liked this post:
S2KCHRIS305 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Chief
U sure its not the output bearing of the trans? its common they can go bad, and the noise could transfer back to the diff.... I would unbolt the drive shaft, on jacks, go through gears and see if you hear it, if you do, its not diff, its a output bearing most likely in the tail of the trans.
yes I will be checking the trans output bearing next, I will remove the drive shaft and perform the test you requested, I had this in mind while i was removing the diff.

Quick Reply: Howling sound from the rear. Need some help finding the issue.