S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Identifying Steering Wheel Squeak / Creak - Video Included

Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identifying Steering Wheel Squeak / Creak - Video Included

Just noticed a rather annoying squeaking/creaking whenever I turn the steering wheel at low speeds.

Video below is with the car idling while parked and turning the steering wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VsBC530rXE

Definitely seems like it's coming from inside the car.

I checked the basics, and there's no rubbing between the wheel and the cover behind it.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced something similar?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM

I jacked the car up and I'm almost positive it's not coming from anywhere in the suspension.

I'm confident it's coming from either the steering wheel or something the wheel is connected too inside the cabin.

Anyone with any ideas or experience something somewhat similar?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

In my case it was the steering rack itself. Jacking the car up would usually make the sound go away because there was no resistance on the rack anymore, plus the angle of the tie rods change depending on ride height. The only way to isolate is to have a buddy turn the wheel wile its on the ground and you trace the sound that way.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Solved!

Turns it out wasn't the clock spring or the steering wheel rack, but instead the following:

Pop the object circled in red and behind it is a metal spring with grease. Grease looked very worn, so I re-greased the spring and the plastic cover over it and the very annoying squeak is no longer there!

Random notes:

No need for a steering wheel puller. Just undo the nut, then re-thread it 5-6 times and pound on the steering wheel from above at 3 and 9 o'clock and the steering wheel will easily pop off.

Remember to center the wheel and re-center the clock spring as well.

You have to take apart most of the steering wheel and column, but it's very simple and straightforward once the wheel is removed.

Of course un-plug the battery before handling the air bag.

Steering Wheel Removal DIYs: http://www.s2000.org/mods/hub/ + https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthre...steering-wheel ( requires registration )
Old 12-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lord09
Solved!

Turns it out wasn't the clock spring or the steering wheel rack, but instead the following:

Pop the object circled in red and behind it is a metal spring with grease. Grease looked very worn, so I re-greased the spring and the plastic cover over it and the very annoying squeak is no longer there!

Random notes:

No need for a steering wheel puller. Just undo the nut, then re-thread it 5-6 times and pound on the steering wheel from above at 3 and 9 o'clock and the steering wheel will easily pop off.

You have to take apart most of the steering wheel and column, but it's very simple and straightforward once the wheel is removed.

Steering Wheel Removal DIYs: Installing a S2000 Steering Hub Adapter + https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthre...steering-wheel ( requires registration )

Do you still have the pic? Yours does not display
I think I may have to do this
Mine squeaks cute (no homo)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone know what was done to solve this? I'm getting the squeaking in my steering wheel when turning it, and curious to know what the picture the poster below was referring to.

Solved!

Random notes:

Steering Wheel Removal DIYs: Installing a S2000 Steering Hub Adapter + https://www.s2kca.com/S2000/showthre...steering-wheel ( requires registration )
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Sorry for the long delay, but I managed to get the following picture from photobucket, which happens to be absolute crap now.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
LudEcrous (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the long delay, but I managed to get the following picture from photobucket, which happens to be absolute crap now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply to this old thread. I'm getting the exact same noise as you when turning the steering wheel. Looks like i'm going to take off the steering wheel to check this. That pic is very helpful.