S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

If you "rebuild" an abused engine, is it good as new?

Old 03-31-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background: My deal for '03 S2000 seems to be falling though due to dealer laziness and I'm looking at a used MY2000 so I can get a car now. I'll be getting a significant discount to the 03 and thought to use the extra money on mods.

The car, from what I understand, was not broken in properly, had an oil change interval of 10,000 miles (once), but I don't think the car was tracked. Apparently the oil consumption of the car is minimal and anecdotally runs very strong. All TSBs taken care of. I don't believe any engine issues have come up in its 3 1/2 year lifespan. I'm not saying this car was abused, but my question is theorectical in the case I was to buy one with a bad engine.

My question is this: if I was THEORECTICALLY going to build the engine for say obscene N/A power (read: new rods, valvetrain, balanced crank, pistons, cams etc., etc.) does it make any difference whatsoever how the engine was treated/broken in?

I've never been able to get a straight answer on this so help is much appreciated.

P.S. If I decide to leave it stock, I'm not too concerned as it will come with an extended warranty.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you replace all of the parts that wear, you will have a new engine. Then the only issue would be whether or not the engine block/head is warped or cracked.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:33 PM

Thanks boiler. Would you be so kind as to let me know

a) which parts are the ones that wear, i.e, are they over and above the parts you'd swap when building up the engine for power?

b) how would/how likely is it that a block/head is warped or cracked.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

If it is strong now, and doesn't have a history of problem - I'd say go for it. Most parts you will be building up are the same parts that would be changed in a rebuild, so save yer dough and build a mean all-motor machine!

They only way to know if anything is warped is to take it apart. If the engine hasn't previously blown up, you're probably fine..... you can have these tolerances checked when the motor is apart for installing part like you're pistons and crank, etc.....
Old 03-31-2003, 04:41 PM

Thanks boys. I'm saving US$12K+ buying used. Just think what I can do to this thing with that money. Sponsors, prepare to be ordered from.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually aluminum engine blocks and aluminum heads get warped one of two ways: the engine is taken apart while it is hot (not too likely) or the engine is severely overheated. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having any overheating problems. I would say that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The engine parts that wear are parts that move. Like bearings, rings and cylinder walls. Also valve stems, seats and valve guides. If you decide to reuse parts, just make sure that they are replaced in the same location that they came out of to begin with. I would say that if you are going to the trouble of tearing down the engine, replace everything that will wear and don't worry about it.

The first thing that I would buy is a Helm's manual.

I just had the valve cover off to adjust the valves the other day and this engine is almost too pretty to cover up. The insides of this engine look like a Swiss watch. Very cool.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:08 PM

most of the problems (if any) that you encounter are definetly fixable. If you ever have to pull an engine apart, it is good habit to allow a true engine machine shop to give it a good once over. This will allow them to check for any stress cracks, scouring of the cylinders, etc...
-
hopefully you wont have to worry about it. Good luck w/your decision.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by boiler

I would say that if you are going to the trouble of tearing down the engine, replace everything that will wear and don't worry about it.
-
I couldnt agree more!!!
If you do tear an engine down, you should absolutely replace any "wear" parts. It only makes sense. W/ the exception of pistons, if they are undamaged.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by cknebusch
most of the problems (if any) that you encounter are definetly fixable
By this do you mean fix it and forget about it fixable or fix it and monitor it before it breaks again and takes down othe stuff with it kind of fixable.

Thanks for your responses guys. Very helpful.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Unfortunately when it comes to problems w/an engine, it is a case by case basis. None of us can truly tell you what needs fixing as it would require a mechanice to diagnose the problem. I am no mechanic, but have learned my way around the engine thru helping my friend (who basically is) build v8's.

All that means is I know that you should allow someone who knows our engines well to check it out. And if you ever run into any problems in the future, you are going to have to deal w/it then. If you are looking for possible problems that have occured w/this MY00, w/such a long period between oil changes, the oil stands a good chance of breaking down, and thus not protecting the metal friction points (cylinder vs. piston) etc. The piston rings could be damaged. Heck, most anything is possible!!!

All engine problems are "fixable", but sometimes the cost does not justify the repair. that is what I meant. You can replace anything in the engine. Thats why most people who restore cars prefer ones w/ chasis' intact as they can replace engines much easier than body parts.

I hope that wasnt too long winded...good luck

Quick Reply: If you "rebuild" an abused engine, is it good as new?