S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. Please help

Old 02-19-2018, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. EDIT: success!

The original clutch in my 07 had been making tons of rattling noise lately so decided it's time for a clutch job.

Over the weekend friend and I installed the same combo that's been recommended here over any over again: ACT pressure plate (H021), OEM friction plate, OEM AP1 flywheel, OEM throw out bearing and also OEM clutch master cylinder. Install went smoothly but right away these issues below caught my attention after starting the car:
  1. There seems to be a constant noise coming from bell housing when the clutch pedal is in the up position and goes away when pedal is depressed. It's a "rotating" sound that is audible (although faint) outside the car over the sound of cold start engine. Inside the car it is much more noticeable with windows up and without the shifter boot. With shifter boot installed it is definitely quieter but can still be heard.
    Here is a video from inside of the car looking into the shifter (in neutral) without boot:
  2. The piston on the clutch slave cylinder is constantly pushed against the shifter fork when clutch pedal is in the up position.
  3. Clutch engagement point is about 1/2" to 1" from the floor.
I figured I should probably first try to ensure there is enough clearance between slave cylinder and shifter fork before dealing with the low engagement point and the noise. However, I'm not sure how to adjust for/increase piston clearance and the clutch master cylinder linkage nut adjustment directions seem to contradict issue #2 and #3 above.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car makes a somewhat similar noise depending on the clutch being engaged or not but yours does sound a little worse at least on video. What you're saying about the slave cylinder piston and clutch fork sounds normal to me. It should also have pressure against the fork. Lastly, you probably just need to bleed your clutch system better. It can take a bit of time. I just replaced my cmc and had to bleed it a second time.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

I would start with bleeding the system and adjusting the clutch pedal.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

You may just be hearing gear noise.

#2 is normal. Virtually every hydraulic clutch system has a constantly running release bearing. There is a spring inside the slave cylinder that puts a small preload on the fork at all times. The release bearing is always in contact and thus always spins. This is also how the "self adjusting" feature on the clutch works.

Your engagement issue likely has something to do with bleeding or the initial Master Cylinder Preload adjustment
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll rebleed the MC again.

About the noise, that was what caught me off guard as it's abnormally loud. Could it be the throw-out/release bearing is bad?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by chilicoke
Thanks for the replies, I'll rebleed the MC again.

About the noise, that was what caught me off guard as it's abnormally loud. Could it be the throw-out/release bearing is bad?
When you say "abnormally loud", do you have the shifter area fully reassembled?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM

The only thing not put back is the shifter tunnel trim panel (cut holder, arm rest) but I put all the underneath layers on, rubber boot that covers the 3 shifter bolts, foam that surrounds the shifter in between tunnel sheet metal, round rubber boot with white plastic ring and it can still be heard inside the car. It can also be heard outside on a cold started engine with HFC + Fujitsubo Legalis.

My friend whom has done multiple clutches also noticed the sound on first engine start.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Can the friction disc be installed backwards? I don't know since I've never tried.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Given the shape of this cars friction disk I don't think it's physically possible to install the friction disk backwards.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Might sound dumb...but do you have fluid in the trans?

Quick Reply: Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. Please help