S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. Please help

Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. transmission fluid was just done 7k miles (1.5 years ago), didn't open the tranny to do this clutch job.

Seems like the general consensus is that this sounds normal. Perhaps I'm just paranoid because I seem to remember my stock clutch was silent.

thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Functionally, I don't think it hurts anything, just annoying. My car did the same thing until I changed my clutch at 70k miles. Pretty much same set up as you. I noticed that the springs on the old friction disk were pretty loose inside the cages so that could be the cause of the sound.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chilicoke
Given the shape of this cars friction disk I don't think it's physically possible to install the friction disk backwards.
looking at the friction disc in front of me I would agree with you.
did you verify you have some free play when released ?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tempest-Blue
Functionally, I don't think it hurts anything, just annoying. My car did the same thing until I changed my clutch at 70k miles. Pretty much same set up as you. I noticed that the springs on the old friction disk were pretty loose inside the cages so that could be the cause of the sound.
Actually loose spring on friction disk was the exact reason I did this clutch job. At only 62k miles clutch started to make constant buzzing/rattling noise and when I pulled it out this weekend two of the 4 springs have no tension and loose inside the cage.

Everything that went in for this install are brand new, that's why I'm a little paranoid after hearing this (new to me) sound.

Originally Posted by starchland

looking at the friction disc in front of me I would agree with you.
did you verify you have some free play when released ?
Yes I have some pedal free play when released. If anything my issue is engagement point is too low 1-2" from the floor. Will report back after I rebleed it again.
​​
Old 02-19-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Just want to give my exp for reference. I have the exact same setup in mine. There was no chatter and honestly your setup now sounded like my stock setup before. Also, my clutch engagement point remained just about exactly the same as before basically 2/3rds of the way up but with a very slightly stiffer pedal feel.
I also think it is very important in the sequence you tighten down the clutch bolts. Also not to overtighten them making sure by using a torque wrench uniformly tightening all bolts to the same spec in a step by step process (first to 5, then 10, so on and so forth).
Old 02-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

did you grease everything as detailed in the service manual?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

It is normal for the springs to have some movement. Is your clutch fork loose maybe? All your bearings are ok?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Just want to give my exp for reference. I have the exact same setup in mine. There was no chatter and honestly your setup now sounded like my stock setup before. Also, my clutch engagement point remained just about exactly the same as before basically 2/3rds of the way up but with a very slightly stiffer pedal feel.
I also think it is very important in the sequence you tighten down the clutch bolts. Also not to overtighten them making sure by using a torque wrench uniformly tightening all bolts to the same spec in a step by step process (first to 5, then 10, so on and so forth).
Originally Posted by afzan
did you grease everything as detailed in the service manual?
Yup, followed and greased as per service manual

It is normal for the springs to have some movement. Is your clutch fork loose maybe? All your bearings are ok?
Nothing is loose as far as I can tell.

Seems like the general consensus is that a little bit of sound from throw out bearing is normal, that gives me all the confidence I needed.

I re-bleed the clutch, it does feel better now, also adjusted the clutch pedal travel via both where it connects to the clutch master cylinder and the up position end stop. Pedal has a little bit of slop before pushing against the CMC but the clutch engagement point is still pretty low, about 3/4th of the pedal travel, is there anyway to get it adjusted up to around 1/4th of pedal travel besides the two nuts mentioned above? I'm already running out of adjustment range on the master cylinder rod thread.

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds alittle louder than normal but it does sound normal. I had the same problem with my car, I gave up and swapped the pressure plate(mugen) and dropped all the noise. ACT while performs well but the noise got to me...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Can the friction disc be installed backwards? I don't know since I've never tried.
Yes it can, but it'll usually just slip if it is.

Quick Reply: Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. Please help