S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed Hasport Mounts, Now Loud Whirring Noise?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Hasport Mounts, Now Loud Whirring Noise?

Well not that loud, but definitely noticeable.

I installed the Hasport diff mounts last night with the help of a buddy, and I neglected to support the differential while unbolting the fronts. The diff fell down, but the axles stopped the whole assembly from going very far. At the very least, the driveshaft came out of alignment a bit at first, but we straightened it back out. You have to move the diff around a bit back and forth, jack it up, let it down, etc to get the mounts to line up correctly. Takes some time/effort.

However, aside from the stiffer feeling from mounts, there's a distinct noise coming from the underside of the car. It's not bad, there's no grinding or anything but it's definitely a little louder than it used to be.

Background on the car, it's an 02 AP1 with 110,xxx miles on it. I initially heard clicking from the rear, so I torqued the axle nuts to 220lb/ft. It still clicked, so I retorqued them to 230lb/ft. Still clicks.

Thought it was the diff mounts, because it seemed one was leaking. Suffice to say, after reading the reviews, I bought them. They're good mounts, but I finally realized my problem while under the car. It's the passenger side axle, it's leaking a bit from the CX boot. Nothing major, but a little. It still clicked a little after the diff install.

So it this something I should be worried about or not? I'm more than willing to get back under the car if need be. Have to replace the axle anyhow.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Anybody?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 PM

I think its normal. stiffer mounts will change the setting of the diff Noise/vibration will change after you change to stiffer mounts.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

I know it is off topic, but how easy is it to install diff mounts? I was under the optimistic impression that I could just replace each of the four, one at a time, without having to support the diff.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its pretty easy to remove the mounts. you can remove/replace the rear first, then the front, then bolt everything back up. at least that is what i did when i installed the diff collers
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if its something else. I have the 70a hasport mounts and I noticed no sound change at all. My car is turbo with a fairly open exhaust so its not super quiet, but I've not heard anything different. As far as the install I did it on a lift with the diff setting on a dead leg so it was 10 minute job. I'm sure laying on the ground and having to use a jack will slow you down a bit. Still not what i'd consider difficult. Love my mounts really makes the car responive and def. improves the lsd's function.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by japhethwar
I wonder if its something else. I have the 70a hasport mounts and I noticed no sound change at all. My car is turbo with a fairly open exhaust so its not super quiet, but I've not heard anything different. As far as the install I did it on a lift with the diff setting on a dead leg so it was 10 minute job. I'm sure laying on the ground and having to use a jack will slow you down a bit. Still not what i'd consider difficult. Love my mounts really makes the car responive and def. improves the lsd's function.
The mounts really do make a difference. After I replace the sxle, I'll see if it still makes the noise.