S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed Tein Coilovers ..... Adjusting Ride Height?

Old 12-12-2003, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Tein Coilovers ..... Adjusting Ride Height?

Hey everyone,

Just installed a set of Tein RS coilovers myself, but couldn't figure out how to adjust the ride height. Did a search and came up with nothing. I've tried messing around with the wrenches that came with the coilovers...trying to twist one clockwise and the other counterclockwise, but they don't move at all. Unfortunately I don't have instructions and I looked on Tein's site, but wasn't much help. Any info you guys might have would be great~!

Here's my installation experience (please note I have no prior experience, so my terminology may be WAY off):

After reading up and seeing that people claimed installation took them only 2-4 hours, I figured it would take me 6, because it always seems to take me longer since something ALWAYS seems to go wrong, but I still wanted to do it myself.

First I removed the trunk liner and the spare tire in order to get to the top of the assembly. Then I placed the car on jackstands and removed the tires. I started with the rears first. Removing the stock assembly wasn't difficult at all, except for removing the lower joint bolt, because I didn't realize that you had to hammer the bolt through after you had twisted it to a certain point, then continue twisting it again (since there were no threads in the middle). Maneuvering around the inside of the trunk was difficult, but not too bad after I removed the rear strut bar. Also the bottom hole of the Tein coilover was not lining up perfectly with the arm, but having someone there to push down the arm while I lined up the bolt was crucial.

For the front, I went with the advice of removing the two bolts that connect the arm and the chasis, then pulling the arm back, and pushing it to the right, instead of what the service manual said by removing the ball joint. This wasn't difficult at all.

Total time it took me, only about 4 hours of slow steady work~! I was amazed that nothing had gone wrong...

So my buddy and I decide to take it out for a to the twisty roads (aka the switchbacks) near my house in Palos Verdes, CA. Definitely felt a significant improvement over the stock setup. I setup my coilovers on Level 8 (8 clicks from the right). Very responsive while still very comfortable for everyday driving, much more comfortable than I had expected from a setup with 10/10 spring rates.

So on the way home he tells me to swing by his house so he can give me his copy of the S2000 edition of Hyper Rev Magazine. How could I say no? As he's walking back from his house to my car...he goes...ughh...Don...you have a flat tire. I knew something had to go wrong~!

So we go back to my house and replace the wheel with the flat tire with one of my stock wheels...(I just bought new Shuk WR1's, aka ASA FR1's and Yokohama tires from TireRack last week). Don't see any signs of a puncture. I plan on going to America's Tire Co. tomorrow to get it checked out. Just goes to show that SOMETHING always has to go wrong.

I'll get some pics posted soon (after I get the tire fixed) and show you the final results.

Thanks for reading,
Don
Old 12-12-2003, 11:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redhurley
Hey everyone,

Just installed a set of Tein RS coilovers myself, but couldn't figure out how to adjust the ride height.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AP1_rock
Old 12-13-2003, 12:26 AM

top plate should go counter-clockwise(up) and bottom should go clockwise(down)

be careful when you're pushin them though, cause when they break free your momentum will leave you flyin forward and scrapin' your knuckles on something. speakin' from experience.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And once you get the right ride height make sure you tighten the plates back together so your ride height stays where you set it. (Top one clockwise, bottom one counterclockwise.)
Old 12-13-2003, 04:57 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the car corner weighted and aligned. My roommate and I both have MY 02's with the RA's and this made the ride very nice along with the handling.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:56 PM

***UPDATE***

I went to America's Tire Co. today to get the flat tire repaired, but to my dismay they stated: "the tire is unrepairable because there is a ripped bead, and I have to get a new one."

Apparently this must have happened during the mounting process from Tire Rack. I didn't purchase the warranty on the tires, but hopefully this should be something they can cover. I emailed Jim, and hopefully he can reimburse me or send me a replacement since it was something that must have happened during mounting.

Oh ya, and I do definitely plan on getting my car aligned and corner weighted by Darren at West End next week after I get a new tire.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:18 PM

also set it to be the softest for the first week so the spring can set
Old 12-14-2003, 03:32 AM

SCREW america's tire co! not sure which one you went to, i went to the one on torrance blvd. and they cracked my volk center cap. I went back and they said they would replace it, from which they never called. i went back again a month later to patch another flat and they said they wouldn't even touch my rims, due to the fact that they were expensive. They also said that they have a bunch of inexperienced kids working there and advised me to go somewhere else. As for the cap, they said it was lost in the mix up, and that they would call me again, which they never did. so SCREW THEM!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Westend alignment

18008 S. Vermont Ave
Gardena, CA 90248
(310) 808-9233

and have your car aligned and corner balanced by Darrin. Trust me it's a world of difference.