S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake manifold removal

Old 01-23-2001, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this job nearly as bad as it looks or will this be one of those things that looks bad but is actualy not once you start. Any tips and tricks are much appriciated
Old 01-24-2001, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's very straight foward but very bad to do because some bolts are so hard to reach. The first time took me like 3-4 hours by the second time I did it like in two.

Have a very good set of tools, including those little things that are use with socket extensions and wobble (sp?)/ flexible. Large extensions are a plus and a magnet to get those bolts that are going to fall and stick around the engine.

Taking it off is better than puting it back. You will also need a torque wrench.

The worst bolts are the ones under the manifold and the large bolts that hold the manifold to the support bracket.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:32 AM

If I had to do it again... I would NOT have removed the intake manifold. I am extremely mechanically inclided but between the blood from my knuckles, antifreeze, and gas, it was a total pain in the butt. There is absolutely no reason to remove it.

What for? Extrude/Hone? Port/Polish? Not necessary, not worth it, and too much expense for no gain. Plus Extrude/Hone absolutely sucked to deal with and practically destroyed my fragile aluminum intake...

LEAVE IT IN!!

...and that's from a guy installing his own supercharger, big brake kit, huge stereo, alarm, etc...
Old 01-28-2001, 05:58 PM

I agree with Shaner on this one. If you are planing on doing the Extrude Hone process don't expect much and when you add all the pain and process involved in taking it out is just not worth to do.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:24 AM

Has anyone thought to get a carbon fiber one made. There are many companies who will do custom work, why not give one of these places a call and have them make you a new mainfold.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:40 AM

That (custom manifold)is exactly what I am doing, so no matter what I need to remove this thing. Any hints are appriciated. I am also mechanicaly inclined, but only have worked with my Audi in the past, and as such, Honda is a whole new world to me, and I am just trying to learn all I can. Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdigrappa
[B]That (custom manifold)is exactly what I am doing, so no matter what I need to remove this thing.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:01 AM

You got it Pepe, Ill take some pics, after I get it. Does anyone know what fluids run through the intake, and is it possible to take it off without a huge mess? Also, do you think I will need new gaskets as my engine only has about 600 miles on it?
Old 01-29-2001, 10:22 AM

Someone recommended to me a full gasket replacement... so I did. I only have 5000 miles on my car.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdigrappa
[B]You got it Pepe, Ill take some pics, after I get it.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold removal