S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

It's a gas, gas, gas.... not?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default It's a gas, gas, gas.... not?

I haven't driven the Spousemobile (2007 S2000) for a while but I did today, just a short errand. Halfway to the store, I see the fuel gauge dark, as in ZERO BARS. Yikes! But my wife said she filled up yesterday. Well, the car did not stop, nor did the low-fuel light come on (as in punctured tank? ) A quick check of the logbook, she recorded 10.58 gallons yesterday.

Well, when I got home and into the garage, it's dark in there, can see all of the "bars" now, just much fainter than the temp gauge or the tach. Whew! I guess.

Is there any servicing, maintenance, or reseting to be done? I presume (a guess) no "bulb" if it's LED gauging. Anything short of "get a replacement cluster off eBay"?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Same dimness, after restart?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

There are bulbs in the cluster, you likely have a few burnt out.

And yes the segments will be dark.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by windhund116
Same dimness, after restart?
No idea, I'll check.

Originally Posted by Billman250
There are bulbs in the cluster, you likely have a few burnt out.

And yes the segments will be dark.
OK, I checked Rock Auto (amusing, on their main page they list parts for Allards???) and they show ONE instrument bulb, apparently fits most/all Hondas since 1982. (a) Any idea how many are back there? Might as well replace them all. (b) I presume it is done with the cluster out of the car? Doing a Google Search, I see some topics on removal here at S2Ki and elsewhere, alas I have not found one with pictures yet but that's probably not a deal-breaker.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

There Are NINE different part number bulbs back there. Id go to the dealer or look up dealer pages online.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You might consider going with led bulbs, which likely won't burn out as quickly as incandescent.

A caution, buying led dash bulbs is frought with stumbling blocks. Its not easy to find all the correct sizes, correct colors, etc. Its worth it to pay more for a kit with all the correct ones.

Do it once, do it right (I didn't, and have done it about 5 times so far. One last time and it'll be perfect. It wasn't worth the money saved not buying a package).

Its not that hard to remove the dash, but its not fun either.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You might consider going with led bulbs, which likely won't burn out as quickly as incandescent.

A caution, buying led dash bulbs is frought with stumbling blocks. Its not easy to find all the correct sizes, correct colors, etc. Its worth it to pay more for a kit with all the correct ones.

Do it once, do it right (I didn't, and have done it about 5 times so far. One last time and it'll be perfect. It wasn't worth the money saved not buying a package).

Its not that hard to remove the dash, but its not fun either.
On the other hand, can you list all the part numbers of what's worked now that you've done it five times? Save everyone else a headache (for those of us also stubborn enough to not want to buy a kit!)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the help! But...

Wow; and people ask why I prefer working on old cars - like being able to reach behind the dash and pull out the offending lamp and replace it (insert joke about how only British cars would need such access here).

Originally Posted by Billman250
There Are NINE different part number bulbs back there. Id go to the dealer or look up dealer pages online.
First, maybe Rock Auto should hear about this, I checked their site for instrument panel bulbs, got ONE part number. Maybe I can come to understand why Honda would spend the $$$ on development, production and inventory for nine different parts. I guess I'll contact a dealer. Nearest is 30 miles round-trip, if they have to order the part and I go back to pick it up, 60 miles driving for a light bulb. OTOH, if the lamps are cheap and I get a whole set, transportation costs per bulb is not so bad. I'll need to ask them if each one comes packaged/labeled where it fits, it cannot be fun if I get the cluster out and I am looking at nine similar bulbs and cannot tell which goes where. If this were my DD and not my wife's, I'd probably just live with it as it is.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You might consider going with led bulbs A caution, buying led dash bulbs is frought with stumbling blocks. Its not easy to find all the correct sizes, correct colors, etc.
Uh -- no. Not delving into a major project on this; it's a fuel gauge lamp, not forced induction. I appreciate you mentioning the alternative, however. Or, is there a reputable plug and play kit cheaper than a car payment?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Thanks for the help.

First, maybe Rock Auto should hear about this, I checked their site for instrument panel bulbs, got ONE part number. Maybe I can come to understand why Honda would spend the $$$ on development, production and inventory for nine different parts. I guess I'll contact a dealer. Nearest is 30 miles round-trip, if they have to order the part and I go back to pick it up, 60 miles driving for a light bulb. OTOH, if the lamps are cheap and I get a whole set, transportation costs per bulb is not so bad. I'll need to ask them if each one comes packaged/labeled where it fits, it cannot be fun if I get the cluster out and I am looking at nine similar bulbs and cannot tell which goes where. If this were my DD and not my wife's, I'd probably just live with it as it is.

Uh -- no. Not delving into a major project on this; it's a fuel gauge lamp, not forced induction. I appreciate you mentioning the alternative, however. Or, is there a reputable plug and play kit cheaper than a car payment?

1. Rock auto doesn’t care.
2. It is what it is when the oem is sourced long before you bought the product.

There is a simple way about this and it’s not relying on online retailers.

* Reference the service manual.
* Reference some of the many online dealers that sell parts.

If you don’t have a leak, you have gas. That means you have time to figure it out and not bitch about a 20yo car online.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The dash bulbs aren't standard parts that an auto parts store would have.

There are a range of different sizes, lengths, and colors used. The colors are managed by little, semi opaque, colored mini bulb condoms.

Some are black, some orange, and some are bareback, which are 'white'.

Quick Reply: It's a gas, gas, gas.... not?