S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Kpro/Hondata vs AEM EMS unique situation

Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kpro/Hondata vs AEM EMS unique situation

Ok guys so here is the deal. I own a 2001 JDM Honda S2000 ( reason i specify JDM is because the USDM dash harness won't directly swap) The car had some water damage but i have just about everything working once again

The car has a check engine light and is not running properly at all. At times it refuses to rev past 5k rpm sometimes 7k sometimes 8k and so on...you get the picture.

In order to fix this issue i need to know exactly what it is. My OBD port was shot so i soldered in a new one but that doesn't work either. Frustrated because i have no way of finding out whats wrong with the car. I was thinking about swapping over dash harness but there is a vast difference in the JDM vs USDM harness. So this leaves me to my next option!

Aem or Kpro

I was leaning towards the Kpro because i read it can read codes but my goodness its expensive!!! and requires modifications. I dont care about emissions neither does my country so whats the real reason why i should go Kpro over AEM. I was told that the AEM can do everything else the Kpro can do EXCEPT READ CODES.

With my issues what route would you take? AEM users chime in please!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I am an EMS owner, and changing ECU is not going to fix your problem. It iwll just make things harder to fix. The codes are stored in the ECU so when you change them, the codes go with the ECUs.

From the sounds of things, that root cause of your problem goes back to the water damage. sounds like you still have issues in the wiring harness that is not going to be solved by changing what ytou connect to them. So the first order of business if to fix the harness.

I for one know what kind of task that is going to be, as I have an issue I and working through now.

Do you have the OEM Electronic Troubleshooting Manual (ETM)? You are going to need it.

From the fact that your ODB port is bad, and that replacing it did not help, you have issues in the Dash A harness. YOu should find a JDM Dash A and Dash B harness and swap them both into the car.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an EMS but I wouldn't consider myself an expert. From what I've observed watching my tuner and messing with it a bit myself, it appears to read nearly all the same sensors, however you have to manually search through the logged sensor data to determine what is not working correctly.

EMS is a good platform...but the technology is a bit old. AEM is coming out with a new generation this year that is smaller, has USB support (yes, the old one uses an old com port), and is supposed to remedy some of the current EMS' failings (like slow start-up and maybe even the temp gauge...and if really lucky, it may have DBW support too).

The Hondata is a good solution even if you have to fool it into believing it is in a RSX.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 PM

yeah i have been trying to find a JDM harness but my luck has been VERY poor! Would you happen to have any links for that?

Thanks for the reply it makes alot of sense what you are saying. I do not have the ETM any idea where i can find it? For this same reason my friends wonder why i love my USDM cars!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 10 2009, 03:11 PM
I am an EMS owner, and changing ECU is not going to fix your problem. It iwll just make things harder to fix. The codes are stored in the ECU so when you change them, the codes go with the ECUs.

From the sounds of things, that root cause of your problem goes back to the water damage. sounds like you still have issues in the wiring harness that is not going to be solved by changing what ytou connect to them. So the first order of business if to fix the harness.

I for one know what kind of task that is going to be, as I have an issue I and working through now.

Do you have the OEM Electronic Troubleshooting Manual (ETM)? You are going to need it.

From the fact that your ODB port is bad, and that replacing it did not help, you have issues in the Dash A harness. YOu should find a JDM Dash A and Dash B harness and swap them both into the car.
Im going to order me a USDM harness and actually give it a try if i cannot find me a JDM harness. Is the US ETM the same as the JDM one?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Did you pull the Dash harnesses from the car already? Lots of work to do it. the ODB port is connected to the harness that has the fuse box on it and it runs behind the defroster. At least is does in the USDM cars. I have one FS, but I would like to know more about what happen to your car (water damage) that made the ODB port bad. I am just confused how/why this is the cause.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Well the car was slightly flooded. What boggles my mind is that EVERYTHING ELSE works fine. Turn signals lights etc. Car runs fine SOMETIMES but other times it just feels like complete crap. As if its not getting enough fuel or ignition **shrug**

I haven't pull the dash harness as yet because im waiting to source a harness. Are you saying you have a USDM harness for sale or a JDM one?

How i replaced the OBD port is i cut the wires connected to a good OBD port and soldered them in their respective colors. Wonder if i did something wrong there...Maybe there is a difference in the wires between the USDM and JDM :S shouldn't be but at this point i am desperate for answers.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try to borrow an EMS to use for diagnostic purposes.

With the EMS attached you will be able to read the values on all the sensors and see if they make sense. You may find the MAP or TPS sensor were damaged with water, or another sensor has a corroded connection.

The EMS will also allow you to switch on VTEC and other things like the fuel purge valves to check correct operation.

My psychic diagnosis is there is something wrong with the MAP sensor. My crystal ball hasn't been calibrated for some time, but it has been spot on a few times recently. Try beg/borrowing/stealing a map sensor to substitute.

Good luck

Chris.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Hmm i always thought that it would be the map sensor but the car idles high of course when its not warm but once it is then its fine. Not many S2k owners here so i would have to buy a map sensor. I wonder if the USDM ecu will work in my car. I am running a USDM engine harness mmmmm
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM

I would not install a USDM ECU, the security system embeded will be an issue. All of it should be missing from the JDM car and you will never get it programed either. That takes a Honda PCM (computer diag tool) to program.

Idles high points to the idle control valve. I would remove it, clean it and reinstall it. They gum up after time.

So what are you trying to read the ODB data with? I know that the US cars are ODBII and that the EDM Cars are not. I assume that the JDM cars are not as well. Since Chris is in AU, maybe he can confirm what tool you should be useing to read the diag data from the car's port.

Quick Reply: Kpro/Hondata vs AEM EMS unique situation