S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Laws of physics and racing...

Old 03-17-2001, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]

Randy:
Old 03-17-2001, 04:05 AM

It is funny to see all of the above posts.
I am happy to see that some of our fellow members value the use of Physics in solving our engineering problems.

First we need some basic theories and equations.
Then we had a direction to go forward or looking upon to.
Then we try our assumption by experiment.

Old 03-17-2001, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by RT
Nick,

Agreed!

Commonly, in the practice of engineering, a simple test is conducted instead of a deep involved analysis if; the test is easy (quick) and conclusive while the analysis is costly (and/or too time consuming) and not so conclusive/confident (did we consider ALL the variables ?)

Just saying to the Rev, the "Physics" ain't the problem.
It's the misuse of, or as you stated, the use of at an inappropriate time, that can get you in to trouble.
I too would take good, reliable, controlled experimental data over an analysis on paper each and every time, but it's got to be good experimental data or you'll end up in the same wrong place (or maybe a different wrong place)!
Do you see my point?
I agree, RT.
Luis, yeah - I know I resorted to physics there , but my reason was to show that just because someone posts "I'm right and I can prove it with just these simple high school level physics equations. Didn't you go to high school? You should agree with me if you did!" That doesn't always work. In the end, the laws of physics WILL always lead to the right answer, but what I wanted to show is that it is NEVER as simple as what we can get into on this board. In the case of the lightened wheels, high-school level physics gets you one answer. Ph.D level physics can sometimes get you a different answer. But neither of these are always 100% correct because there are still many more variables not being taken into account that may or may not have a significant effect on the situation. My bottom line was (do I have a point??? How come I keep posting on this thread when I'm tired and either about to go to bed or just woke up???) experience is a better resource to draw upon, but nothing can replace a good experiment. If you're not a physicist, you're probably not qualified to start giving answers to questions as fact just because you remember what you learned in your high school physics class. I'm not qualified, and I haven't seen more than one or two posts on this board from people that seem to be. There's nothing wrong wtih not being a physics scholar - just remember you're not when you start posting that your answer is the absolute end answer because you have high school level physics equations on your side.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought it was common knowledge...that is Newton's Fourth Law of Physics? The fourth law states that the first three laws don't apply to racing. Found that out building Race Karts for International Super Kart Association (ISKA)competitions years ago .