S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Looking at buying a 2003 S2000 with the engine replaced. Should I have any concerns??

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 2003 S2000 with the engine replaced. Should I have any concerns??

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a 2003 GPW S2000. Owner said the engine was replaced with a used one with ~58000 miles because her husband unknowingly cracked the oil pan and the car ran out of oil. The car itself has ~100800 miles. The clutch was also worn out and was replaced. She says the engine was replaced by a certified Honda mechanic.

Should I have any concerns with purchasing this car? Please help! Any assistance is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a car that had the engine replaced from a honda dealership witha used engine. Now I had the engine replaced. I would stay away from it and look for a car that has never been in an accident, never had the engine replaced and has been owned by an enthusiast. Mine was owned by a middle aged woman who wanted to trade in her accord for something cute. Big mistake on my part.
The following users liked this post:
MacLuven (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just do a compression check. Maybe call the place they had it replaced at and ask if they remember anything about the car. Is the car discounted at all since it has an unmatching motor?
MacLuven (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is this car located? There's one for sale that sounds very similar in Texarkana area.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not always a bad idea, but only if you're pretty knowledgeable with inspecting cars. Sounds like you're fairly unfamiliar, so I would be very leery. If you are interested enough, spend the money and get it inspected at a reputable shop or dealer.
Also, if it was done by a honda mechanic they should have all the proper documentation/receipts to prove it.
MacLuven (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

People always say the engine was replaced with a lower mileage engine. The best way to check this is the run the vin on the engine. I't not easy to see, as it's located on the back of the head, but with a mirror you can get the vin # and run it to see what mileage the car it came from was last reported, and when. As long as it was installed properly, by someone who knows what they're doing it's not a hard job and i won't be too worried about it myself. compression/leakdown test will also give you peace of mind.
MacLuven (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:16 PM

@kwakhead I'm located in Dallas. Yes, the car I'm talking about is the on in Texarkana, TX. No disrespect to the seller. Just want some good advice. I've been looking for a S2000 for a while now and the wifey finally gave me the greenlight to get one. I've always wanted a GPW S2000 with red interior, but those are hard to come by. At this point, I'll buy any GPW in good condition, within reason of course. LOL!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 PM

@ISADE and @jsenclosure I wouldn't mind getting it tested and all. The only problem is the car is about 3hrs from me.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

compression test.

coolant pressure test

visual inspection for leaks

mileage verification to validate the price.

listen to the engine at idle for unusual noise. post a video on here if you want opinions.
MacLuven (03-02-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MacLuven
@ISADE and @jsenclosure I wouldn't mind getting it tested and all. The only problem is the car is about 3hrs from me.
I've driven a lot farther for cars lol. If your skeptical, you could find a honda shop in the area, or maybe even someone on here that lives close to go check it out for you. You may end up paying a hundred or two to have a shop do a look over, compression and/or leakdown test, but if you're serious about the car it's money well spent. When i was looking for a bass boat a few years ago i found the exact one i wanted, looked it over really good and even took it out on the water for about an hour to run it. Gave the guy a $500 deposit with the exception that it be checked out my a marine mechanic. He hauled it over to a mercury dealer, and it cost me $150 for the compression test, but what i found out was that it had a low cylinder. To replace that motor would have cost me 6000 just for the short block. That $150 saved me a boatload. I ended up finding the same boat at a dealer a month or so later, had the shop do a compression test while i hung out with the mechanic and that one checked out. I guess what i'm saving here is $150 could save you a lot of headache or give you peace of mind, and if it doesn't work out there is always another one out there.
MacLuven (03-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2003 S2000 with the engine replaced. Should I have any concerns??