S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Low clutch fluid (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/low-clutch-fluid-1218029/)

LarryP 01-01-2024 04:30 PM

Low clutch fluid

I'm a snowbird in Mesa Arizona from Illinois. This year when I took the S2000 out I had some play in the clutch pedal that was never there before. Upon checking I found the fluid in the
clutch master cylinder was low to the point that air got into the line. I refilled the master cylinder with fluid but still have play in the pedal. I know that the line needs to be bled of air.

I've checked the master cylinder and lines but no fluid is present on the outside. No fluid is present on the ground. I've wrapped white cloth around the clutch piston inside the car but nothing shows.

My question is ....is it possible that the fluid evaporated from the high heat here in Arizona. During the summer months for the past 2 years temps have gotten as high as 120 degrees . I admit that in
the past I have not been checking the clutch fluid.

Any ideas ??? Larry P

B serious 01-01-2024 06:30 PM

Its likely leaking through the seal near the clutch pedal's pushrod. Take a look under the dash, you'll see wetness. Your cloth probably just didn't hit the right spot.

Clutch and brake fluids need to be flushed once every 2 years. If not, enough moistute can build up to allow leaks past seals, and eventually enough will build up to do damage to the hydraulic system and cause rust in the lines and components.

Car Analogy 01-02-2024 05:44 AM

If its not a lot of air, one trick is prop clutch pedal down overnight. Like a piece of wood against front of seat (use another piece of wood across seat to spread force, protect leather).

The force of pp springs will create pressure in hydraulics, which will squeeze air. That forces airto slowly work its way up, and out into reservoir.

You can do same thing with brakes, but have to deal with brake lights draining battery.

Chuck S 01-02-2024 09:42 AM

I recall @Billman250 (hope that gets his attention) cautioned to never flush tor bleed he clutch hydraulic system unless your goal was to add endless amounts of air into the system. Just suck out all the fluid from the clutch master cylinder and wipe any dirt out. Refill with new fluid. Repeat as necessary.

-- Chuck

engifineer 01-02-2024 10:01 AM

Bleeding it will not cause issues. Just needs a gravity bleed which takes about 10 minutes. After sucking out old fluid, wiping out reservoir, and topping back off, you unbolt the slave cylinder, let it hang so the bleeder points up, open bleader and let it drip, then make sure you keep the reservoir from running dry while it drips through. No need to pump the pedal or anything like that. The line is short, system is simple so it does not take long. When done make sure it is topped off and bolt the cylinder back to the trans.

Save the Manual Wagons! 01-02-2024 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 25041962)
I recall (hope that gets his attention) cautioned to never flush tor bleed he clutch hydraulic system unless your goal was to add endless amounts of air into the system. Just suck out all the fluid from the clutch master cylinder and wipe any dirt out. Refill with new fluid. Repeat as necessary.

I did a simple gravity bleed on mine before I learned of the turkey baster empty/refill method and it didn't cause any problems.

Car Analogy 01-02-2024 10:39 AM

People confusing two different things:

Fixing clutch hydraulics

Maintaining clutch hydraulics

The suck fluid,wipe clean, refill reservoir is a maintenance thing. It ain't ever gonba fix air in system. Only bleeding is gonna do that.

The reservoir refresh thing, do that every other oil change or so. Keeps fluid fresh, clean. It circulates with every clutch press. Will quickly mix.

But if air in there, or if fluid already too dirty, gotta do a fluid fluid change. Gravity bleed works well.

Dibsen 01-07-2024 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by LarryP (Post 25041888)
I'm a snowbird in Mesa Arizona from Illinois. This year when I took the S2000 out I had some play in the clutch pedal that was never there before. Upon checking I found the fluid in the
clutch master cylinder was low to the point that air got into the line. I refilled the master cylinder with fluid but still have play in the pedal. I know that the line needs to be bled of air.

I've checked the master cylinder and lines but no fluid is present on the outside. No fluid is present on the ground. I've wrapped white cloth around the clutch piston inside the car but nothing shows.

My question is ....is it possible that the fluid evaporated from the high heat here in Arizona. During the summer months for the past 2 years temps have gotten as high as 120 degrees . I admit that in
the past I have not been checking the clutch fluid.

Any ideas ??? Larry P

Larry,
take a look at my new clutch post. (Just a few posts below this one) there was little evidence that my clutch master cylinder was leaking. Noticed it’s was low, cleaned and topped it off. Then after pressuring the system, the leak was clear. Bad seal on the master cylinder push rod.

give it a look. Hope that helps.

windhund116 01-07-2024 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dibsen (Post 25042536)
Larry,
take a look at my new clutch post. (Just a few posts below this one) there was little evidence that my clutch master cylinder was leaking. Noticed it’s was low, cleaned and topped it off. Then after pressuring the system, the leak was clear. Bad seal on the master cylinder push rod.

give it a look. Hope that helps.

Fresh fluid usually solves minor leaks.

I use a syringe to draw out the old stuff. Put fresh brake fluid into the clutch and brake reservoirs annually. I use ATE Typ 200.

At the same time, I change the cabin air filter.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1d4b045e9c.gif

Car Analogy 01-07-2024 08:13 AM

Yup, dirty fluid causes leaks. Often fresh fluid will clear up leak, but may take a while. May take more than one fluid refresh.

Dirty fluid results in deposits hardening on clutch rod. Then uneven surface sliding in and out of seal each pedal press results in small amount of fluid leaking.

Fresh fluid acts like a detergent. But it takes a while to clean it all off. Plus as it cleans, new fresh fluid becomes dirty, loses ability to clean further.

So need to refresh fluid again.

Then keep it clean going fwd. Every other engine oil change, also do reservoir fluid swap as maintenance.