S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Low oil on dipstick.... how bad? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/low-oil-dipstick-how-bad-1193619/)

Chuck S 04-26-2019 05:20 AM

... and the instructions in that obscure publication known as the Owners Manual. :)

Install a new oil filter according to
the instructions that come with it.
Make sure to clean off any dirt
and dust on the connecting
surface of a new oil filter.
If you don't have the correct filter, though, there won't be any instructions. :(

Spoiler: After the rubber seal seats, tighten the oil filter clockwise 7/8 of a turn (there are numbers around the primer of the filter) or torque to 16 lbf-ft (there are $4 oil filter wrenches that will take a torque wrench).

-- Chuck

Billman250 04-26-2019 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528 (Post 24594553)
you could have caused excessive wear. some people might call that "damage".

I assure you there is no damage in this instance.

TheBasedDoge 04-26-2019 05:47 AM

Alright thanks everyone for the info and tips. Gonna take care of that all today.

engifineer 04-26-2019 06:37 AM

In before the inevitable hand tightening argument starts!

TheBasedDoge 04-26-2019 02:41 PM

Well I just changed it. About 3ish quarts came out it looks like. Nothing really on the magnetic plug and no sparkly / metallic looking stuff in the oil. I saved some to send to blackstone.
Put in 5qts of Castrol synthetic 10w-30 and the new OEM filter.

So, hopefully all is good.

jyeung528 04-26-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24594691)
In before the inevitable hand tightening argument starts!

still waiting on video proof of someone (not the Incredible Hulk) torquing the oem filter to 7/8 turns from contact BY HAND.

soccaz34 04-30-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 24594449)
When you install the OEM filter (different design than generic) be sure to torque with a wrench to proper specs; you cannot and should not install completely by hand.

I installed the OEM filter the other day and it was printed on it to turn it 7/8 of a turn after the filter meets the engine block. Even had the filter marked into 8 sections. It also had the torque number, but you could install it by hand as well.

Car Analogy 04-30-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by soccaz34 (Post 24596419)
I installed the OEM filter the other day and it was printed on it to turn it 7/8 of a turn after the filter meets the engine block. Even had the filter marked into 8 sections. It also had the torque number, but you could install it by hand as well.

Yes, you can install by hand, but you would inevitably be installing it wrong, since its not humanly possible to achieve either the torque or the 7/8s turns, which should be very close to the same thing, by hand. If you could, you wouldn't fit in the S to drive it, and probably couldn't get your hands to fit into the space to tighten it.

Filters on this engine can and do spin off and cause engine fires or bearing failure (or both) if not properly torqued. It doesn't fail 100% of the time its inadequately tightened, leading some to a very false sense of security, and the illogical belief that just because an ill advised action did not result in immediate harm, said action must by definition be safe.

It somehow also causes such mislead ones to constantly repeat the easily disproved mantra that past results somehow prove the wisdom of their reckless actions.

Its so easy to properly tighten the filter. Why would anyone not do it? I really don't understand this quirk of human behavior.

windhund116 05-01-2019 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24596670)
Its so easy to properly tighten the filter. Why would anyone not do it? I really don't understand this quirk of human behavior.

Maybe, it's because many S2000 owners come from other "breathed-on" Honda engines. Where regular oil filter, with regular hand-tightening works fine. I can understand why someone who is used to a +400HP Honda engine, would be skeptical of all this special torque instructions for a 240HP S2000 OEM oil filter.

engifineer 05-01-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24596826)
Maybe, it's because many S2000 owners come from other "breathed-on" Honda engines. Where regular oil filter, with regular hand-tightening works fine. I can understand why someone who is used to a +400HP Honda engine, would be skeptical of all this special torque instructions for a 240HP S2000 OEM oil filter.

HP has little to do with it though so thats the odd part. Almost no other cars require tightening like the S2k, but it is more high oil pressure and vibration than anything that I think drives it with our car and that comes from the high rpm operation of this car. I can see someone who did not read up first doing it by hand, as that is how you SHOULD do most every other cars oil filter. But to be told that there is a specific way of doing it on a car, seeing the instructions on the filter and in the manual, and still ignoring it ... that is a whole different thing lol