S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Maintenance maintenance maintenance...

Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance maintenance maintenance...

I decided to flush my coolant today (since I bought my car used, I've been going through all the maintenance items that need attention).

I bought 6 gallons of distilled water, since I have no idea what kind of coolant is currently in the car. I wanted to do a good flush.

However, after 4 complete flushes with distilled water, the system still wasn't completely purged of the old stuff. It ran "clear" from the rad, but still had a good green tinge in my catch bucket. Regardless, after 4 flushes I decided that was good enough and made the switch to Honda Type II Long Life.... if it has an adverse reaction to the old stuff and wreaks untold havoc on my motor, I'll let you know But somehow I doubt it....

I bled the brakes yesterday. I replaced the master and slave cylinders, along with the entire clutch, about a month ago. I've adjusted the softop bump stops to get the top nice and tight and alleviate the horrid wind noise that used to be there.
I've adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket and cover hold down gaskets.
I've lubed the rear axle splines to get rid of the horrid "click" when changing directions.
I put new Kumho 712's on the car when I bought it, to replace the bald S02's.
I've changed the tranny and rear diff oil (and of course the engine oil, and popped in a new PCV valve for good measure. I replaced the air filter and cabin air filter.

I replaced the windshield because it was so horribly pitted (thank you insurance). I lubed all the weather stripping with Shin-Etsu.

I'm not complaining... I like to do this stuff, but man... this car needed a LOT of attention. All you current owners: take care of your cars! You'll make the next owner a lot happier, and save their back from untold agony
I'm really glad I only paid $14k for this car though... otherwise I'd be WAY in the hole (and God forbid I wasn't able to do all this maintenance myself... yikes!)

Then I took the car for a spin, and tagged 9k a couple times getting on the highway
Old 03-08-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by heffergm
However, after 4 complete flushes with distilled water, the system still wasn't completely purged of the old stuff. It ran "clear" from the rad, but still had a good green tinge in my catch bucket.
Did you open up the drain plug in the engine block and have the heater knob on full HOT? If you just used the drain plug in the bottom of the rad, that won't get all of the coolant out. There is a high spot between the rad drain and the right side of the engine block. You need to either pull the block drain or the oil cooler line to get that bit of coolant out.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:00 PM

I did have the heater set to max hot, but I didn't drain the block.

The reason being, going by the 2000-2003 service manual, replacement coolant is for all model years is the same part number (Type II). So I figured if I missed a tiny bit, no harm, no foul... because if I had brought it into Honda, you can bet they would have just used the Type II stuff (without doing any kind of flush at all). I don't suspect that Honda would have released incompatible fluids and then not made mention of it in the service manual.

Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions there, but that's why I did four flushes.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll be fine. Even if the coolant still had color, it's not enough to really worry after 4 flushes. Besides, it's done now.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, how many miles, was it salvaged? 14K and that much maintenance required.... sounds like previous owner didnt take very good care of it. S2k abuse should be reported to the proper authorities so that it may be placed in the hands of a loving and caring owner, lol. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dyes in coolant are quite lurid in color, and a tiny amount can look more significant than it really is - I am guessing you did not mess with the block drains, which is fine. XViper is right - after 4 flushes, whatever remains is insignificant. This does not apply to a toilet, however - if you still see a green mist after 4 flushes, reconsider your eating habits.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:40 PM

4 flushes......is clearly bad eating habits. Or too much fiber.
-Lee
Old 03-09-2004, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyushin
Whoa, how many miles, was it salvaged?