S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal Clank Sound

Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Clank Sound

Can you guys help me diagnose this sound?

The sound occurs the moment you hit the Start button and right before then engine turns on. It is one short metal clank sound that sounds similar to clanks when your car is cooling down. Is this normal?

Im just a little paranoid, because I have misshifted a few times and was wondering if this might be a sign of something bad. Better to know now, so that I can fix it sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by richsta,Aug 17 2006, 05:31 PM

The sound occurs the moment you hit the Start button and right before then engine turns on. It is one short metal clank sound that sounds similar to clanks when your car is cooling down. Is this normal?

Im just a little paranoid, because I have misshifted a few times and was wondering if this might be a sign of something bad. Better to know now, so that I can fix it sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!
When you misshifted did you over rev?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by richsta,Aug 17 2006, 05:31 PM

Thanks in advance!
do you have stock exhaust...? sometimes when i start my car same time as your saying, my test pipe heatshield hits the heatshield under the car... i'm just too lazy to get under there and fix it.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Aug 18 2006, 07:20 AM
When you misshifted did you over rev?
What would you consider overreving? Well, my car did rev up quickly, but i switched out before i hit redline (at least I hope i did, it was all really quick). I don't believe my rpms went past the point where your car would hit the limiter.

do you have stock exhaust...? sometimes when i start my car same time as your saying, my test pipe heatshield hits the heatshield under the car... i'm just too lazy to get under there and fix it.
I have a stock exhaust.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Anyone else know what this sound is? Or does anyone else experience this? Let me know your thoughts, thanks!