S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal Scraping Noise from Rear End - Help Please!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Metal Scraping Noise from Rear End - Secondary Shaft Bearing RESOLVED

Hello all,

I've searched the forums a ton trying to find a solution to this... but I have tried many different things and nothing solved the problem...

My 2006 with 58k on it starting making a whining, metal rubbing noise from the rear about 2 months ago. The sound has gotten louder in the past few weeks. Perhaps it has been around longer, but I haven't noticed it. To be honest with the stereo up to a normal level you probably wouldn't hear it at all. Anyhow... it is speed dependent and starts around 35-40 mph, and is constant. Not a high spot on the brakes, or wheel bearing type noise or anything like that. Just a constant shhhhhh type of metal on metal noise. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Changed diff fluid, only minor metal particles around the magnet. Fluid was clear.
2. Changed rear brake pads (they weren't that low, but figured why not. Also retracted the piston, which was not seized)
3. Had a nail in one of my tires after the noise started, and they replaced both back tires with new ones. Noise remained....
4. Changed wheel bearing and hub on the side that I believed to be louder, no change.
5. Yes, my axle nut is tightened per TSB.

I am at wits end now trying to figure out what the problem is. I am going to have my wife drive it up to speed on jack stands tonight while I lay under it, and hopefully can pinpoint the sound to somewhere. I believe it to be somewhere around the diff now.

Does anyone have experience with this?? Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by LagunaPearlAP2; 02-22-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Record a video of the sound and post it to youtube. Link it here and it will benefit everyone
Old 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM

I am away from home right now on a trip, but will try to get a video when I can.

It seems like it may be relatively common issue of the secondary output transmission shaft bearing... I will be taking it to a shop next week to get it checked out.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaPearlAP2
I am away from home right now on a trip, but will try to get a video when I can.

It seems like it may be relatively common issue of the secondary output transmission shaft bearing... I will be taking it to a shop next week to get it checked out.
I have this EXACT problem on my 2006. I took the rear wheels off and spun the car at 40mph in 6th on jackstands, the sound seemed to be coming from the dif/axles but i
couldnt tell where and my dif looked good when I changed the fluid. I’ve switched one rear wheel bearing to no success.

Please! Please update if you figure out what it is! I’ll do the same if I find anything.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds like exactly me a few months ago. check out my thread on the issue, I even have some vids on the sound I had .
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...issue-1166715/

I finally resolved my issue and it was my differential. I sent it out to Puddy Mod, he confirmed there was damage to the ring gear. Had the diff rebuilt and noise is gone. Rear end makes no noise, feels like new again.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 PM

Update on this! I was just reading the howling from the rear and thread listed above by s2kCHRIS, and noticed a major difference with his symptoms and mine. Mine makes the noise in gear or out of gear, where his was only in gear and stopped in neutral, and mine is a constant increase in noise/frequency as I speed up, whereas his seemed to peak around 40mph. I think that may end up being a clue.

I was still leaning towards having a shop look at my secondary output shaft. I called a bunch of shops and was planning to bring my car in, but most seemed to tell me that:

1 they would have to drop the trans... and I’m not about to pay for labor to drop the whole transmission, when the forum seems to tell me I just need to take the rear cover off

2 most shops send transmissions to a speciality transmission shop once they remove them and add on some extra charge

In my research it seems like pulling off the tailshaft from the end of the tranny isn’t too hard, and that was correct. I did it tonight in about 3 hours or so, and I really took my time. When spinning the shaft, it definitely makes more noise than expected. I ordered new bearings, and will have someone press those on when I can.

Here is a video of the noise this thing makes...
What do you guys think? Overly noisy? I assume if it makes noise when spinning it by hand, a motor spinning this up to 40mph would be really noisy...

Last edited by LagunaPearlAP2; 02-05-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM

Oh... and my Datsun 510 motor coffee table and Rx-8 lounge seats make an appearance in that video

One thing to note about the secondary shaft removal... “lowering the transmission” mentioned in other DIY posts was a bit confusing... that is done by loosening the bolts on the cross brace holding the transmission (and more specifically directly under the tail shaft case bracing it to the chassis) on the underside. Two bolts on one side and one under the cat on the other.

Another part worth noting, when yanking the tail shaft case away from the transmission, I found the only way to do it was to lay on my back, grab the tail shaft case with my hands and press my feet against the lower chassis brace under the engine. No amount of prying or pulling it off any other way worked.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Keep us updated op!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Update y’all! So I finally got my bearings in from Bernardi... they were on backorder for a few weeks. I had a shop remove the secondary shaft from the housing and press in the new bearings and reassemble. It came to 108 for the shop work. I think all bearings were 120 or so.

The shaft is now just about silent and very very smooth when rotating it in the tailshaft housing. I’m really REALLY hoping this is what caused the noise I was having. I'm guessing it is a safe bet, considering how terrible these bearings look! Pretty mangled. It remains to be seen as to exactly why they get into this shape. I don't drive so hard, fluid was changed maybe 25k ago... seemed to be at a good level... well, I'm just thankful these bearings aren't terrible to change out.

I will update this again once the shaft is back in and I go for a drive.

Last edited by LagunaPearlAP2; 02-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM

Update everyone! Great news, this totally solved the problem, it was most definitely that chewed up secondary output shaft bearing, part number 13 in the parts diagram. I could not be happier!! Everyone having a similar sound should definitely look into doing this. As I mentioned, it was altogether about 220 or so. Less if you have a press or know someone with one. The hardest part was waiting for bearings to arrive! If this project was on my radar, I'd order the parts a month in advance. I did this on jackstands in my garage and it wasn't so bad. I would definitely do it again. Altogether it took maybe 3 hours to disassemble and 3 hours to put back on.

Things to note:
I saw a DIY thread saying that the two long tailshaft cover bolts go on the top of the case and to note that... this is most definitely not true. One long bolt goes at about 1 o'clock, and the other at 6 o'clock when looking from tail to nose under the car. When I tried the shorter bolt at he 6 o'clock hole I broke off a few threads on the lower hole and thought it was Fed.... luckily tried it with the long bolt and was fine.

Second thing is that "lower the transmission" thing that I mentioned earlier... but that might be self explanatory to some.

As the shifter has to come out when doing this project, it is probably a good idea to get some Honda hi temp urea grease and regrease the shifter before reassembly... and potentially get new plastic bits replace the worn ones at the end of the shifter assembly.

The tube holding the shift rod from the tailshaft cover to the transmission needed a new O-ring when I got it off... that is one thing no other DIY mentioned. And something I would probably do before doing this project again.

Well, this project is resolved for now, and hopefully doesn't rear it's head again in the form of those bearing chunks coming back to wreak more havok. Please let me know if I can help anyone else with this problem in any way!
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (01-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Metal Scraping Noise from Rear End - Help Please!