S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire- Excessive oil in spark plugs and under valve cover?

Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misfire- Excessive oil in spark plugs and under valve cover?

Hey everyone. I have an AP1 just about to hit 60k miles. After some spirited driving about a month ago, I started getting a rough idle and very light misfires, which eventually got worse and started getting p1399 code and turned into specific cylinder misfires. I took it to a shop to diagnose and they said there was oil getting down into the spark plugs, and that I needed new tube seals/VC gasket.

Bought a mahle kit, took off the VC and saw what looks like (to me, anyways) excessive oil around said parts.

After pulling the spark plugs, they were indeed covered in oil (like, dripping really). I replaced the tube seals which I made sure were oriented in the correct position, coil pack gaskets, VC gasket, and NGK plugs. Did an oil change just in case as well and it seemed like I was on the high side from how much I drained.

Started it up just fined and burned a ton of oil and other crap out of the exhaust. Ran perfect for the rest of the day, however by the next day I started getting light misfires again another p1399 code. Pulled plugs out again and they had a little oil around the threads but I chalked it up
to it being left over from when it was soaked in oil. What do you guys think? The next logic step to me would be to do a compression test but wanted to get some further opinions to see if this could still be my problem, or if I need to actually take it to a mechanic.

Some additional information: The previous owner had the valve retainers replaced by a honda dealership near him, so the VC gasket looked in fairly good health, however one of the tube seals were a little chewed up. That being said, there was oil in all of them.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Happens when you force the valve cover on, tends to cut up the seals. Jesus Christ, previous owner didn't believe in regular oil changes, that's a varnished valvetrain. I'd check valve clearance too, likely when oil starts getting in the spark plug tubes it kills the coil packs.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 AM

So compression test, valve clearance, then coil packs in that order?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM

Further development: Ran it for a bit to see if I could get a specific misfire code. Looks like I have wet soot or oil shooting out of the exhaust? I have a test pipe for clarification.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Madkows
Further development: Ran it for a bit to see if I could get a specific misfire code. Looks like I have wet soot or oil shooting out of the exhaust? I have a test pipe for clarification.
Did you check your valve clearance?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Madkows
That's dirt and condensation, and is normal. Do you lose coolant? If it were oil it would feel like oil, slippery, the fact it doesn't means it's condensation.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Haven't done valve clearance yet.

Not loosing at coolant at the moment. Gotcha, yeah this is just wet.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Jesus Christ, previous owner didn't believe in regular oil changes, that's a varnished valvetrain.

That looks terrible!
Old 04-16-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Brown varnish is from conventional oil use.

Engine will stay shiny silver with synthetic.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Brown varnish is from conventional oil use.

Engine will stay shiny silver with synthetic.
Not true, my 06si used nothing but conventional and the insides were as clean as my S. OCI was 3,750 miles as per manual recommendation.

Quick Reply: Misfire- Excessive oil in spark plugs and under valve cover?