S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My compression test came back from the dealers. They said the numbers where 205 175 180 175. Those numbers seem pretty horrible. They are doing a leak down test tomorrow. What are the reasons behind one cylinder having a high compression and the other three having low compression
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by seoul2k
So a little update from my experience.

1. I did flush out the gas in the s2000, but it ended up not being the issue. (didn't notice anything)
2. Changed the plugs from the NGKs that were in there to the 7772s (did not help, but idle was better)
3. Did a valve adjustment (nothing happened still was getting the misfire issue)
4. finally got a 302 code so i figured out that it was cylinder 2 was having the misfire so I swapped in new coil packs that i bought and wallah it was fixed.
cleared the code and hasn't had an issue yet as of 50 miles that i drove today. Crossing my fingers so that it doesn't come back.

I did buy new coil packs, injectors, spark plugs, throttle body, and map sensor though so I wouldn't have to worry about the head ache for awhile. I know that was stupid, but after having my car down for 2.6 years I didn't want to deal with any issues or chances of getting another misfire lol.... So i just bought everything at once and i'll change them out when i get them.

so you shotgun everything nice, i had had the same issued as everyone here on this thread the most i've done for my my 2002 S2K is bought new coil packs, i put in injector/fuel system cleaner from chevron and i noticed a slight increase in power, and runs a bit smoother now, hopefully i just had dirty injectors if not thats what im checking next.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM

how offten do s2ks have bad alts, ive recently notice my dashboard flicking when using the A/C at idle but goes away while driving. and i recently did a valve adjustment for misfire codes and when its really cold 32 below the light comes on but goes away after driving. (made my valves to the tightest spec, so in teh cold im pretty sure they are shrinking a tad causing that)
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Hi guys and gals, an old timer here coming back to the board looking for some help.
I've read this thread all they way through, and have some ideas to try, but want to start documenting my experience for all and to get some feedback.

I have a '02 all stock with only a K&N, aprox 80k miles
I've never changed the plugs or adjusted the valves.

A few weeks ago, on one of those really cold nights (about 15 degrees) it started fine but after a 2 mile drive it suddenly started missfiring and bogging very badly and gave me the CEL, i drove it home another mile and then to the local Autozone.
Codes were: P0304, P03030, P0302, P0300, P1399, P0108
I checked for vacume leaks and found none, i replaced the MAP sensor and i used a can of DRY Gas on the tank that had recently been filled.
None of those made any difference. I reset the ECU and drove around a bit and read the codes again
This 2nd time i got codes: P0301, P0302, P0304, P03000, P1399.
It continue to run very rough, can only liml along at about 30mph and wont rev over 3000 RPM. CEL continues to flash

After reading all these posts, my next step is to adjust the valves as i'm sure they are out of spec since theyve never been done and I have 80K (I've been hearing the valve clatter for some time but have been to lazy to get to it).
I will post with an update once that has been done.
In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions or new info please post as well, the more info the better.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 AM

So I performed a valve adjustment last night...
I can't say if it made a difference to the missfire because as soon as I started it up, I heard a couple loud pops from the engine and immediately shut it down.
I'm afraid I might now have some bent valves (hopefully nothing more) to contend with.
Lesson of the day, if you are going to perform a valve adjustment yourself, make sure you follow the steps diligently and double check all your work.
Don't know yet where I went wrong but hope to find out and let you know.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM

I had a missfire issue on my 00 ap1 for a long time and tried everything to fix it, it turned out to be a bad ecu! swapped in an 03 ecu and it runs just fine now.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just fixed my misfire issues. Turned out i needed a valve adjustment. I had adjusted the valves about 20k miles ago but most of them were too tight. Found one tighter than .005.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM

OK, finally went back in to check on my screw up.
Good news... Turns out I left the socket wrench dangling off the crank. No damage done
Bad news... The valve adjustment quieted the valve train and made it run a bit smoother, but the misfire, hesitation and flashing CEL remain.
Next thing will be to replace the spark plugs as they are original with around 80k miles
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM

I got a misfire code of 1399 a couple weeks ago. Turns out my car just needed some new spark plugs.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any of you guys notice your car running funny when you get these misfire codes? I am getting all of the misfire codes listed in the OP, but my car doesn't feel like it is running funny at all.

It actually seems to run quite smooth. I'm going to start with a compression test, if all checks out I will replace the plugs as the car has 103k, and I'm not sure when or if they have ever been replaced. After that I will work through the rest of the list. I do notice a ticking, and hadn't figured out if this was the TCT or needing a valve adjustment (I think it might possibly be both). So I will likely do the VA as well.

Quick Reply: Misfire Thread