S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/mobil-1-extended-performance-motor-oils-filters-270987/)

TeamVirtuozity 02-12-2005 05:59 AM

MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters

Mobil has come out with a new brand of oils that they are stating last from 5000-15000 miles!!! According to what I heard on TV, it says that they have new additives or cleaners that increase the life of the oil. Has anyone tried this oil or heard anything about it? Here is a link on it

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...erformance.aspx

Steve

xviper 02-12-2005 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by TeamVirtuozity.com' date='Feb 12 2005, 07:59 AM
last from 5000-15000 miles!!!

I consider this to be marketing talk and a bit of "cover-my-ass" back pedalling. So which end of the spectrum will you choose? The 5000 miles end? Or the 15,000 miles end? We've documented proof here on the forum that even after 7500 miles, an oil analysis on "normal" Mobil 1 synthetic shows that there is still lots of service life left. We have a very high strung, complicated, and expensive engine. Do you really want to leave oil in there for 15K? Sure, go ahead and use it, but think twice before leaving it in there that long.
With reports of S2000 engines (and I'm not saying it's a lot), do you want to be one of those who turn up at a Honda dealer to try and get them to cover your grenaded engine AND have to respond to them when they ask why you didn't follow the recommended oil change interval as indicated in the owner's manual?
"But Mr. Service Manager, there was this new super-duper oil that was advertised that said I could go as far as 15,000 miles between changes." The last thing you may hear is Mr. Service Manager's door slamming behind you as it muffles his histerical laughter. :rev:

PoweredByCamry 02-12-2005 07:31 AM

Interesting. I saw at Walmart yesterday- $24 for the 5 qt jug vs. $20 for the regular Mobil 1. I wasn't sure if it would be any better given my change intervals, so I bought the regular. Came back and searched S2ki and was surprised no one had mentioned it, I guess it must be really new.

Would love to hear more opinions of whether it is really better.

Peter

slipstream444 02-13-2005 05:58 AM

I agree with XViper - this seems to be more marketing than oil.
I especially like the line that states: ... you've never seen an oil like this ... that lasts 15,000 miles. Redline and Amsoil have been advertising extended drain intervals for years ... decades for Amsoil (25,000 mile + intervals).

Nevertheless, even though I use Amsoil, I rarely go more than 4,000 miles due to the way I drive my car. I know for a fact my oil still has lots of life in it when it's drained. That's insurance. Draining your oil at the point you know it's dead - is not.

Mobil 1 is a good oil and has been getting much better over the past 5 years. If you're a Mobil 1 fan, then stick with it. If you want to spend $1 more a quart for the newest thing and you think there's benefit in it, go for it. I personally like to let the dust settle on a new product before trying it.

beanolo 02-13-2005 01:14 PM

good beater oil :rev:

Boston Duce 02-14-2005 05:57 AM

Sounds like Mobil is trickling down the heavy duty over-the-road oil formulas to the DIY market.

Mobil has had Delvac-1 for a while. Designed for OTR diesels, it is also a gasoline rated 5W-40 "SL" oil with container advertising "up to 100,000 mile OCI".

In all fairness, OTR guys run special by-pass filters which they change way before 100 k mi, and they run OA regularly. But following those parameters, they do leave oil in the sump for what seems like an eternity.

New Porsche's have 2 year / 15Kmi OCI, so high performance and long OCI is possible.

However, I agree that you must follow the manufacturer's recommendation until well out of warranty, or you risk a possible battle with an oil related warranty claim.

Regards
BD

usace 02-14-2005 06:30 AM

I saw the 5 quart jug at walmart too... but it was the only variety of mobil 1 in the 5 quart that they had. The 1 quart bottles were still the regular mobil 1 stuff though. I didn't pay really close attention, but I assumed since the new stuff said mobil 1 that it was still synthetic. Is this correct???

mosesbotbol 02-14-2005 06:41 AM

The engine oil may last that long, but it's still going to get just as dirty as any other oil in a given time period. The oil may last, but the filter doesn't... Changing oil is pretty cheap, and I see little benefit in the bigger picture of maintenence about extending oil changes to 10K plus. This isn't a big rig.

xviper 02-14-2005 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' date='Feb 14 2005, 08:41 AM
The engine oil may last that long, but it's still going to get just as dirty as any other oil in a given time period. The oil may last, but the filter doesn't... Changing oil is pretty cheap, and I see little benefit in the bigger picture of maintenence about extending oil changes to 10K plus. This isn't a big rig.

Finally, someone with a bit of common sense. I'm looking into my crystal ball and what do I see? ............................
Someone is going to use a "new, super-duper" oil that claims to last 50,000 miles. Being a frugal person at heart, Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate opts to go with this oil in his S2000. Becoming complacent with this LOOOOOOONG lasting oil, he also negects checking the oil level and thinks to himself, "If the oil can last this long, the filter must be good for that long too". Reaching the 1500 mile mark after this change, his oil level sinks to below the add, but is never checked. Reaching the 5000 mile mark, the oil level gets down to about 2 qts in the pan, but since this oil is so good, he continues to drive without any ill effects. Another few thousand miles of VTECing goes by and there is no oil left in the pan, the oil light has been on for the last couple of thousand miles, but Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate mistakes this for some irrelevent "idiot" light and keeps driving. Once his engine is torn down, they discover sludge everywhere, the filter completely clogged BUT the few remaining drops of his "super-duper" oil is in "AS NEW" condition. What a GREAT oil that was. :drunk: :rev:

(It's not how long lasting a given oil is for an S2000. It's the mentality it gives to the owner using it that scares me.)

mugenpower_s2k 02-14-2005 08:18 AM

you know what? why don't we just follow the old fashion way, mobil 1 synthetic, 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first, the safe way and the best way to take care of your baby's heart!

Spoolin 02-14-2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mugenpower_s2k' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:18 PM
you know what? why don't we just follow the old fashion way, mobil 1 synthetic, 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first, the safe way and the best way to take care of your baby's heart!

That's exactly what I was thinking. :rev: Except I change mine every 2000 miles. But I'm FI and very particular about keeping the oil clean and fresh. :drunk:

xviper 02-14-2005 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mugenpower_s2k' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:18 AM

:rev: This makes so much sense and is not that expensive nor does it take that much effort. Why are people looking for that "magic bullet"? 15,000 miles oil change interval? That's for fat cats who love their Barcaloungers and their Mercedes. :drunk:

Mr. Francesco 02-14-2005 10:25 AM

kool...oil that last for 15xxx miles...

this isn't going to stop me from doing my regular 3-5xxx mile changes on synthetic mobil 1. i rather have piece of mind.

Gernby 02-14-2005 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:14 AM
Finally, someone with a bit of common sense. I'm looking into my crystal ball and what do I see? ............................
Someone is going to use a "new, super-duper" oil that claims to last 50,000 miles. Being a frugal person at heart, Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate opts to go with this oil in his S2000. Becoming complacent with this LOOOOOOONG lasting oil, he also negects checking the oil level and thinks to himself, "If the oil can last this long, the filter must be good for that long too". Reaching the 1500 mile mark after this change, his oil level sinks to below the add, but is never checked. Reaching the 5000 mile mark, the oil level gets down to about 2 qts in the pan, but since this oil is so good, he continues to drive without any ill effects. Another few thousand miles of VTECing goes by and there is no oil left in the pan, the oil light has been on for the last couple of thousand miles, but Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate mistakes this for some irrelevent "idiot" light and keeps driving. Once his engine is torn down, they discover sludge everywhere, the filter completely clogged BUT the few remaining drops of his "super-duper" oil is in "AS NEW" condition. What a GREAT oil that was. :drunk: :rev:

(It's not how long lasting a given oil is for an S2000. It's the mentality it gives to the owner using it that scares me.)

Not trying to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure the oil light doesn't come on until there is NO oil pressure. If that is the case, the car won't run for more than a few miles with the oil light on before it will sieze up.

xviper 02-14-2005 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by gernby' date='Feb 14 2005, 03:58 PM
Not trying to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure the oil light doesn't come on until there is NO oil pressure. If that is the case, the car won't run for more than a few miles with the oil light on before it will sieze up.

Gernby, haven't you seen those Prolong ads, they run the car clear across town with no oil in the crankcase. :rev:

TeamVirtuozity 02-14-2005 02:53 PM

So i take it no one has tried this oil yet lol
Its good to hear everyonez opinion on this. I was going to try the oil out just to see how it was but I dont think anyone would leave their oil in the car that long... Besides, as many cruzes and miles I put on the car, everytime I change the oil its black, and I change it every 3000. Im sticking to Mobil 1 syn until someone tries that out

mikegarrison 02-14-2005 02:58 PM

Arguably, you could just change the filter every 3000 miles and keep adding oil to top it off. This wouldn't save you a lot of money, but it could save you some. If I had a nine liter dry sump system, for instance, I would be highly motivated to extend my oil flush interval by this method.

xviper 02-14-2005 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamVirtuozity.com' date='Feb 14 2005, 04:53 PM
So i take it no one has tried this oil yet lol
Its good to hear everyonez opinion on this. I was going to try the oil out just to see how it was but I dont think anyone would leave their oil in the car that long... Besides, as many cruzes and miles I put on the car, everytime I change the oil its black, and I change it every 3000. Im sticking to Mobil 1 syn until someone tries that out

I don't think you need to wait for someone to try it first. Mobil 1 makes good products and I doubt you would be disappointed in the quality of this new juice. I think everyone's point is that the regular Mobil 1 is quite good for the manufacturer's recommended change interval, that going with this "better" oil won't hurt anything. I just don't think you'll see any miracles here if you did use it. It will perform just as adequately as its "normal" sibling product. The advertised extra "longevity" won't necessarily protect your engine any better. If you want to use it and if doing so will give you "peace of mind" then go ahead. For you, it may very well be worth the extra buck a qt.

Gernby 02-14-2005 04:02 PM

I wouldn't admit it if I weren't drinking, but I've been getting pretty lacks on my oil changes. I've been going close to 6K miles on regular Mobil 1 10W-30. Honestly, I will probably go ahead and spend the extra $4 to get this new stuff next time. Note: I haven't done ANY hard driving (track events, autocrosses, etc.) since I started doing this. I have always changed my oil on <3K intervals when any sort of competitive event was involved. I'm sure I will do the same in the future (when competing) regardless of any manufacturer's claims.

Reds2kracer 02-15-2005 04:40 AM

:rev: with xviper, I just got 5qt of these new mobil 1 oil for my next oil change. I'll see how it performs compared to the older mobil 1, I don't think it's gonna be any different like xviper had said but just thought I give it a try since it's mobil 1 :drunk: .

Reds2kracer 02-15-2005 04:43 AM

I'm not gonna leave it in for 15,xxx milage though, I just think that's extremely crazy... I love my S and wouldn't want something to go wrong or for it to not perform as it should due to something that I could of done, that's just me though...

PWRMKR 02-15-2005 09:55 AM

From the Mobil warranty statement: "For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual."

I'm sticking to a 5,000 to 6,000 mile interval, of something else.

hydeaway 02-15-2005 11:55 AM

Not to flame anyone ones post and im not by any means a Mechanic but why is Mercedes manufacturer recommends 15,000 miles oil change on their E Class.

mikegarrison 02-15-2005 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by hydeaway' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:55 PM
Not to flame anyone ones post and im not by any means a Mechanic but why is Mercedes manufacturer recommends 15,000 miles oil change on their E Class.

The recommended service intervals are a touchy subject. BMW and Mercedes both do all the recommended services for free up to some large number of miles, but then they set the recommended intervals very far apart. Many people who own those cars choose to do services more frequently (and pay for them) because they feel that the extended intervals are just a cost-savings and marketing device. They fear the engines expiring just after the warranty runs out.

The key here is that you should not exceed the life of either the oil or the filter. Very likely, it is actually the filter which has the shorter life.

xviper 02-15-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by hydeaway' date='Feb 15 2005, 01:55 PM
why is Mercedes manufacturer recommends 15,000 miles oil change on their E Class.

Is an E Class driven on the track in anywhere near the same proportion by manufactured units as the S2000? Does an E Class engine run up to 9000 rpm? Is an E Class a 2L (or 2.2) inline 4 cylinder? What is the typical owner demographics of an E Class as opposed to that of an S2000? Does an E Class engine have a compression ratio of 11:1? When you go to auto-Xs, road races or the drags, how many E Classes would you typically see? Is an E Class classified as an LEV (Low Emmisions Vehicle)? How many E Class vehicles are there with a 6 speed manual transmission? Is an E Class suspension set up to endure the kinds of prolonged lateral g's as an S2000 engine is? Is an E Class engine tuned to produce the same sort of HP and torque per displacement and rpm as an S2000? Is an E Class engine tuned to run as rich as an S2000 engine during most of it's working cycle?
The answers to these questions will have bearing and relevence to the answer to your question.
If you are going to compare, an E Class may not have been your best example. Perhaps using a typical fluid cooled, large displacement, Japanese motorcycle engine might be a better choice.

hydeaway 02-15-2005 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:42 PM
Is an E Class driven on the track in anywhere near the same proportion by manufactured units as the S2000? Does an E Class engine run up to 9000 rpm? Is an E Class a 2L (or 2.2) inline 4 cylinder? What is the typical owner demographics of an E Class as opposed to that of an S2000? Does an E Class engine have a compression ratio of 11:1? When you go to auto-Xs, road races or the drags, how many E Classes would you typically see? Is an E Class classified as an LEV (Low Emmisions Vehicle)? How many E Class vehicles are there with a 6 speed manual transmission? Is an E Class suspension set up to endure the kinds of prolonged lateral g's as an S2000 engine is? Is an E Class engine tuned to produce the same sort of HP and torque per displacement and rpm as an S2000? Is an E Class engine tuned to run as rich as an S2000 engine during most of it's working cycle?
The answers to these questions will have bearing and relevence to the answer to your question.
If you are going to compare, an E Class may not have been your best example. Perhaps using a typical fluid cooled, large displacement, Japanese motorcycle engine might be a better choice.

Sounds like this is a touchy subject for you - As a matter of fact i do own a E500 with some brabus upgrades and a S2000 with a Comptech SC + a few mods - "relax - just want to find out"

xviper 02-15-2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by hydeaway' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:53 PM
Sounds like this is a touchy subject for you - As a matter of fact i do own a E500 with some brabus upgrades and a S2000 with a Comptech SC + a few mods - "relax - just want to find out"

Whatever "tone" you read into my post is purely your own interpretation (and imagination). I have no need to relax as I wasn't worked up about it in the first place. I answered your question by posing other questions, which when answered, would give you your answer. Perhaps it is for you, that this topic is "touchy", since you felt the need to bring up the fact that you have a "Brabus" upgraded car. I "interpret" this as some form of bragging. Am I wrong? See how easy it is to make the inappropriate interpretation? And with your Brabus car, are you still going with the recommended 15,000 miles oil and filter interval?
So let me throw it right back at ya ............................ Relax! :rev:

RACER 02-15-2005 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:29 PM
And with your Brabus car, are you still going with the recommended 15,000 miles oil and filter interval?

:rev:

svatne 02-21-2005 09:56 AM

The only thing that interested me about the new Mobil 1 oil is that they claim that it is 100% synthetic (if I'm not mistaken their regular "synthetic" oil is really only partially synthetic - a la Castrol), and that they claim to have added some new anti wear additives. The idea of a 15000 mile oil change is rediculous for all the sound reasons given above.
I intend to stick with Amsoil and approx 4000 mile/6 month oil changes.

S2000 Driver 02-22-2005 04:33 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...mg=208993&md=1
[Click Image for More Info]

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=208995
[Click Image for More Info]

S2000 Driver 02-22-2005 04:48 PM

Couple interesting links on Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil:

Product Fact Sheet

ExMo Extends Oil Drains to 15,000 Miles

freq 02-22-2005 06:08 PM

Not that anyone really cares but, think about how this would / could impact the environment, positively impact the environment if everyone did 15K instead of 3 or 5K changes.

Warren J. Dew 02-22-2005 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by svatne' date='Feb 21 2005, 10:56 AM
The only thing that interested me about the new Mobil 1 oil is that they claim that it is 100% synthetic (if I'm not mistaken their regular "synthetic" oil is really only partially synthetic - a la Castrol), and that they claim to have added some new anti wear additives. The idea of a 15000 mile oil change is rediculous for all the sound reasons given above.

Mobil 1 has always been 100% synthetic, although Mobil does also sell a synthetic blend.

The oil change interval thing is kind of interesting. When I was a kid, oil technology was not nearly as advanced as it is now, and the limiting factor on how long oil lasted was not when the additives wore out, but rather when the oil itself broke down. Recommended oil change intervals were typically 3000 miles.

Oil technology improved, though, so oil change intervals started getting longer as oil was made that didn't break down so fast. At one point, Mobil said you could go to a 24000 mile interval using regular Mobil 1 (the only kind of Mobil 1 at the time), and many cars recommended a 15000 mile oil change interval on regular oil.

Then the carmakers started taking advantage of the better oil by building engines that ran hotter and were harder on the oil, because that meant they could run the air/fuel mix leaner and get better gas mileage and better performance out of the same size engine. A side effect, though, was that the oil change interval shrank again.

I suspect Mercedes can get away with 15000 mile intervals because (1) they may not be squeezing quite as much out of their engines, and (2) they probably use a higher quality oil than you get at the average Jiffy lube.

I notice that the Mobil site says that their Extended Performance version doesn't meet some exotic test that their regular Mobil 1 passes. My guess is that it's better to stick with regular Mobil 1 (or another 100% synthetic) unless you're really taking advantage of that longer oil change interval.

xviper 02-22-2005 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by freq' date='Feb 22 2005, 08:08 PM
Not that anyone really cares but, think about how this would / could impact the environment, positively impact the environment if everyone did 15K instead of 3 or 5K changes.

I don't think it would impact the environment much. With today's recycling in nearly every city and town, it's not like it's going to save a lot of oil from being poured onto back alleys and into the ground like the old days.
Again, there's that nagging thing about manufacturers oil change intervals and how this would impact warranty.

S2kNY 02-23-2005 06:45 AM

Should I be using synthetic? I brought my car to honda and the guy said to put 5w-30 because it better to put a thiner oil in the winter. But does he know what he's talking about or should I use strictly synthetic?

xviper 02-23-2005 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by S2kNY' date='Feb 23 2005, 08:45 AM
Should I be using synthetic? I brought my car to honda and the guy said to put 5w-30 because it better to put a thiner oil in the winter. But does he know what he's talking about or should I use strictly synthetic?

This is a personal choice. Non-synthetic oils are so good these days that a synthetic may just be for "peace of mind". However, note that the two supercharger companies that make kits for the S2000 does recommend the use of synthetic when their kits are installed.
Your mechanic is right about using a 5W30 for the colder months. It will allow the engine to crank more easily during those cold starts. This is especially true if you are using a non-synthetic. If you use a synthetic, unless it gets extremely cold, a 10W30 will do as synthetics still pour and flow well in the cold. I've been known to use a 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic when I was parking outside for many hours at temps colder than -25*C. The coldest being -38*C and I was sure glad I had 5W30 synthetic and a block heater.

S2000 Driver 02-23-2005 07:29 AM

[quote name='Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:31 PM'] I notice that the Mobil site says that their Extended Performance version doesn't meet some exotic test that their regular Mobil 1 passes.

xviper 02-23-2005 08:47 AM

^ From the same source:
[I]To address the issue of vehicle warranties, the back labels of Mobil

S2000 Driver 02-23-2005 09:14 AM

[quote name='xviper' date='Feb 23 2005, 12:47 PM'] Impact for current S2000 owners?

xviper 02-23-2005 09:29 AM

^ I'll concede that point to ya. :rev:

jguerdat 02-23-2005 01:40 PM

A few things:

1) There is DEFINITELY an environmental impact since the too-frequent oil changes are being extracted from the ground with little going back into circulation. You may not be dumping it on the ground but you're sure pulling from it.

2) Have your oil analyzed to determine proper change interval. For my driving, daily to/from work and around town (~200-250 miles per week) as well as 10 or so competitive autocrosses per year I've settled on 7-8k mile changes. This is using 10W30 Mobil 1 and is a result over several oil analyses by Blackstone Labs.

3) With only 2k miles per year, you need to consider acid buildup due to the lack of driving. It may not be a good idea to leave the oil in place for a mileage-based change sequence.

PilotKD 02-23-2005 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 22 2005, 09:31 PM
Mobil 1 has always been 100% synthetic, although Mobil does also sell a synthetic blend.

They have the new Mobil Clean 7500:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...Clean_7500.aspx