S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Momo steering wheel and 2 ohm resistor not working

Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momo steering wheel and 2 ohm resistor not working

Okay, well, I finally got around to installing my steering wheel in my 01 S and as it stands, I got a hub from ebay (which surprise surprise diidn't fit, but ultimately with some grinding down and a couple of spacers works like a charm) couple with a Momo steering wheel. It's funny because i called the company from ebay and told them that it didn't fit and I was a tad disappointed so they refunded my money, and that's when I tried the grinding! Free hub!!

Anyway, I went out and bought a 2.2 ohm resistor and seeing that connection to the harness were two prongs, I took the resistor and plugged one end in through the back were the wires plugged into and made sure as best I could that it was connecting to the metal parts and then taped it down, tucked it into the hub and bolted up the steering wheel.

The two problems I have is that 1. the steering wheel is a lot closer to the signal and wiper lever that if your fingers are quite fat, it'll hit them every time! 2. even after I reconnected the battery, the SRS light is still on.

Now I'm wondering if I need to do some sort of procedure or ritual dance to get it off or if I did not connect the resistor correctly.

In the end, those are the only complaints. Cruise control works and so does the horn, feels good and looks sharp. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here's a photo of it:

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a 3.3 ohm and reset the SRS.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 PM

get a steering wheel spacer from somewhere. Many hubs are too short and thus become worse when you have a non-dished wheel Here's what my old 20mm and my current 60mm looks like just to give you an idea of what you should be looking for, or you could get a machine shop to make you one.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Alright, I successful did the reset and have installed the resistor at the harness location under the dash; however, I'm still getting the srs light coming on after it's been reset. Is this 2.2 ohm sufficient? I'd try the 3.3, but no shop is open at the moment.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 AM

What reset? ECU reset? The SRS has its own set of reset protocols... IIRC, after my accident I had to do some crazy ish to get the SRS light to go away once it came on.

I recall having to jump the pins attached to the fuse for xx seconds, remove, attach in some order. google it, I know I didnt get the info from s2ki, its the same as the accord and....be careful because if you ground out the wrong one, its gonna be bad times for you
Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH,Mar 18 2010, 01:08 AM
Try a 3.3 ohm and reset the SRS.
no and yes.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by skool u,Mar 18 2010, 02:11 AM
and have installed the resistor at the harness location under the dash;
this is wrong. The resistor has to go across the 2 wires for the srs that go to the wheel. If you didnt remove the cable reel its the yellow connector. Otherwise it should just be the 2 left over wires.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Mar 18 2010, 05:55 AM
The SRS has its own set of reset protocols... IIRC, after my accident I had to do some crazy ish to get the SRS light to go away once it came on.
This, but it is very very simple.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Mar 18 2010, 04:48 AM
no and yes.
3.3 works just fine...
Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Mar 18 2010, 04:50 AM
this is wrong. The resistor has to go across the 2 wires for the srs that go to the wheel. If you didnt remove the cable reel its the yellow connector. Otherwise it should just be the 2 left over wires.
As far as I could see, the yellow connector on the reel where I disconnected the airbag, goes to the same connector under the dash. It too has the same type of push and pull connector and is yellow like the harness in the airbag.

At the moment I now have a 2.2 resistor that is jumping the two prongs in the harness that is on the reel as well s a 2.2 resistor jumping under the dash.

I guess I'll try taking out the one under the dash and ensure that the top resistor is wired well and i'll reset the ecu again and see if that works.

Quick questions for anyone here:

1. Has the 2.2 ohm resistor not been enough for anyone here and they had to move up to a 3.3?
2. Is there any other specifications that I may have stuffed up on with the resistor? I didn't see anything about watts on the package and read that it must be a 2 watt.
3. Finally, is there a certain way that the resistor must be wired in or is it simply just jumping the two prongs?

Thanks again lads!

Quick Reply: Momo steering wheel and 2 ohm resistor not working