S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A More 'Unusual' Shifter Vibration

Old 11-27-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A More 'Unusual' Shifter Vibration

About 2 months/3k miles ago I had replaced the original clutch/flywheel in my 00' S (174k, can't complain), and immediately after I had a slight vibration in high RPM's. Over the last few weeks it had gotten much worse. I had seen some orange colored fluid on the garage floor one day and ordered new mounts, the original mounts were in 2 pieces coming out on both sides. First drive was great up until about 8,000 RPM's; shifter vibration. I had posted on the Facebook page S2K Talk & Tech, and a few people had suggested the clutch assembly or something being out of balance, however the vibration only occurs under load. If I rev the engine, bounce it off rev limiter, both stationary and cruising at 75 MPH, nothing at all. If I rev out a gear, boom; vibration.

I'd rather not replace the clutch/flywheel and be out almost a thousand bucks again unless someone can help me narrow down it is definitely the clutch.

Any ideas here?

Clutch: Ballade Sports FI Kit
Flywheel: Ballade Sports 10lb
Mounts (Motor/Trans): Megan Racing
Old 11-27-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

When I replaced my engine I lost the oil cap as I did not tighten correctly,ended up with it making horrible noise..
Found it on top of the gearbox hitting body on power.
So check for a spanner ect on the top of gearbox area.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
When I replaced my engine I lost the oil cap as I did not tighten correctly,ended up with it making horrible noise..
Found it on top of the gearbox hitting body on power.
So check for a spanner ect on the top of gearbox area.
I will double check that. However it's not a rattle or noise or metal to metal sound; it's a full on spaz attack with the shifter assembly.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Here is my assessment.

You damaged the mounts during clutch install, causing the original vibes. You correctly diagnosed, and replaced them.

But you used aftermarket mounts, which are stiffer, and allowing more of the natural drivetrain vibes to pass through to chassis.

My conclusion is your only issue now is how rough some aftermarket engine mounts can be with this car.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Here is my assessment.

You damaged the mounts during clutch install, causing the original vibes. You correctly diagnosed, and replaced them.

But you used aftermarket mounts, which are stiffer, and allowing more of the natural drivetrain vibes to pass through to chassis.

My conclusion is your only issue now is how rough some aftermarket engine mounts can be with this car.
I came across the same thought, however no other posts with reviews/information about these mounts have included anything along these lines. The shifter vibrates/shakes enough to make it hard to change gears quickly when really getting on it, the exact opposite of what others have said about these mounts.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

What replacement motor mounts did you use?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet
What replacement motor mounts did you use?
It's in the original post, Megan Racing. Same as Hard Race.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Update 11/28/17

After driving around a little more, I decided to be a bit more picky and in depth about the problem. Car on the lift, two techs under the car. Revving the engine, the shifter does vibrate at higher RPM both in gear and in neutral. The vibration is not nearly as bad in neutral, however it is present. I contacted Alex at Ballade Sports and am currently discussing the issue with him.

The clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and bearings are the only outstanding parts here. New mounts, driveshaft bolts, and other stuff such as exhaust bolts, gaskets, making sure nothing is rubbing, etc. and no other issues present. Double-checked all the work without taking the transmission back out, no issues to note. I hate to point the finger at any specific part or company, however 2 shops and three techs later, everyone agrees that it is more than likely the clutch and associated parts to be at fault.

I'll update with anything new over the next couple days/weeks.