S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

More X-brace questions

Old 03-05-2001, 06:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Giampiero
[B]AusS2000;my English is not so good;I meant that with a different design you might "shave"$5.00 from the shipping cost ,not that the cost of shipping is $5.00.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AusS2000;No offense .
You can try;but if you want a suggestion make it similar as the Spoon one as much as possible;I dont think it will works
good if different.
(imho)
Giampiero
MG RACING
Old 03-05-2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Giampiero
I dont think it will works
good if different.
(imho)
Kinda looking for rational scientific discussion backed up by reasoning, rather than opinion.

Why do you think it won't work?
Old 03-05-2001, 06:38 PM

AusS2000;I rest my case;I will not go in any discussions with you about this part;it will look too much partisan,being that I am selling it.
I will add only this;you might be right for the price,we all know that S2000 parts;so is surely possible to fabbricate them for less.
But reading your previous post(correct me if I am wrong)I was under the impression that one of your concern was the shape of the X brace being bulky to ship;if you see it in person is not that big or heavy and it will not being so advantagoius to have it folded for shipping because they will look at the weight also.
Giampiero
Old 03-05-2001, 06:56 PM

so... i'm a bit confused.

i'm trying to figure out the motivation for the hinged XBrace. at first i thought you wanted it because it would somehow offer better performance. then i thought it was because you wanted to be able to remove and transport it easier.

we're now down to two possible explanations. you find the Spoon XBrace to be too expensive, or you want to avoid paying high shipping costs. which one is it (or is it both of them)?

if you find the XBrace to be too expensive, then rather than trying to create a hinged version the obvious solution would be to get a local fabricator to make you a copy of the Spoon part. if you find shipping to be too high, i'd suggest a local (Aus) GB on the Spoon part (it will take time, but then again so would finding a fabricator, designing the brace and getting it made). if it's both - see solution to point A. in either case, i don't really see how making one that is hinged would be a valuable solution.

i mean, i hate to be logical and all... but this seems kind of obvious to me. i can understand not wanting or being able to pay a lot on the part.

am i missing something?

-c

ps. for what it's worth, now that i've driven the car with the XBrace i don't care about the price (it's that good).
Old 03-05-2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by malachi
you find the Spoon XBrace to be too expensive, or you want to avoid paying high shipping costs. which one is it (or is it both of them)?
It's both.

I guess hinged is the wrong term so I retract it. What I am really referring to is 'collapsable'. And not even that as I don't expect anyone to take it apart once assembled. How about 'disassembled'. I'll call it the Ikea brace

Japanese parts cost too much. You're getting some fabricated metal for pete's sake. Secondly, it's not me who would be paying the shipping, it's you and other S2000 owners. I guess I could offer the brace shipped and assembled for $140, or shipped disassembled for $120. Shipping to and from AUS costs heaps. Just ask Pinky how much it cost to ship my head unit here.

Stay tuned
Old 03-05-2001, 09:24 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The x-brace is not front back symmetrical, just so you know.
When flipped 180 (flat spin out to sea) it won't bolt up.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:14 PM

Good idea on building two identical pieces! Even if the two sides of the Spoon brace aren't symetrical I believe you could still make two pieces that could be used for either side. Just like you said...have a centre section that could be bolted and/or welded by the consumer. I would need to see a pic of a spoon unit to confirm though. I like this idea...but be careful about "copying" anybodies stuff.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:22 PM

Anybody have a good photo of the Spoon XBrace installed on their stook?
Old 03-05-2001, 10:53 PM

haven't downloaded it from my digital camera yet. if someone doesn't post one by tomorrow i'll post mine.

here is the (small) one from spoon (it's the upper right one):

Quick Reply: More X-brace questions