S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with Rattle noise coming from either clutch housing or Transmission

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Rattle noise coming from either clutch housing or Transmission

I just did an amsoil transmission fluid already so it's not the fluid. Everything was ok after the fluid change for a couple of weeks, and then one day my s2k started to make a rattle noise coming from the transmission or clutch housing, however the noise doesn't occur all the time and on all gears. If I'm on 3rd gear and I'm giving gas nothing happens until I release the gas and I'm not touching any pedals and the car is rolling, that's when the rattle starts. If I press the clutch all the way in, I can still hear something, but it's more like something loose moving around inside the transmission, but it's a lot more muffled. The rattle starts exactly at the point of clutch engagement. I thought it was my third gear getting messed up, but if it was, the rattle would keep going while giving it gas. So I'm thinking it might be the clutch release bearing starting to go out... but why does it happen only on 3rd gear? and I'm starting to hear the noise "like something loose moving inside the transmission" on 4th gear with the clutch all the way in and the car rolling. this noise is more random, not as continuous as a rattle. Can someone explain? Thanks.. Billman if your reading, your input is more than welcome.

Note: the rattle changes speed relatively with how fast the car is rolling which makes me think the problem could still be the transmission.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 761 Posts

Make sure its not a broken CAT (loose inside) just bang on it with your fist when cold.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM

I banged on it and it doesn't replicate the noise. I'm gonna try to get another set of jack stands, have the whole car on the air and have it rolling on 3rd gear with no load, use my stethoscope and maybe record the noise.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that this is what's happening to you, but I was getting a loud buzzing noise, similar to what you describe, every time I would decelerate in gear from high rpms. Wouldn't happen when I was accelerating.

I took the shifter out and realized that the white plastic ring that seals in the rubber inner boot had broken a few clips. Also the piece of foam that goes between the top console and the rubber inner boot (sound deadener I think) had completely deteriorated (2001 MY). After replacing the rubber boot, the white plastic clippy thing (technical term) and the foam, it is quiet as you would want. I can still faintly hear that the tranny buzzes a little on decel, but it is hard to even make out unless you try.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteAP1ftw
Not that this is what's happening to you, but I was getting a loud buzzing noise, similar to what you describe, every time I would decelerate in gear from high rpms. Wouldn't happen when I was accelerating.

I took the shifter out and realized that the white plastic ring that seals in the rubber inner boot had broken a few clips. Also the piece of foam that goes between the top console and the rubber inner boot (sound deadener I think) had completely deteriorated (2001 MY). After replacing the rubber boot, the white plastic clippy thing (technical term) and the foam, it is quiet as you would want. I can still faintly hear that the tranny buzzes a little on decel, but it is hard to even make out unless you try.
I know that plastic ring on mine is broken for sure! but I'm pretty sure my rattle is coming from the transmission, however I'm going to have this in mind. Thanks for the help. I still have to get another set of jack stands in order to find exactly where the noise is coming from.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Ok! I got the video finally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWSB6_5-V4

At 00:17, the car was on 1st gear to compare it to the initial part of the video, so there is no noise there except for the rear wheel buzzing. When I used the stethoscope I could hear the noise coming from the flange area. and there is a part where you can hear a vibration coming from the passenger rear wheel. Idk if that's normal since I haven move the car in a while. I think I can hear the rattle in 4th 5th and 6th gear too, but it isn't as loud as in 3rd
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you changed the trans fluid, make sure it hasn't all leaked out. You've probably already checked and you would have seen a puddle or an oil mess under your car but check anyway.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 AM

There isn't a single drop on the garage floor but I'll check the fluid level when I get time. Any other inputs?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dimitry8
There isn't a single drop on the garage floor but I'll check the fluid level when I get time. Any other inputs?
Do I need a new transmission? Is it something I can fix by removing the secondary shaft?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Hey buddy you ever figure out what it was ? I'm having the same problem but I just rebuilt my transmission because I had that issue before I rebuilt it . I bought a new shim and bearing for the secondary shaft because when I removed and disassembled it the noise was coming from the secondary . I spun it and it replicated the same sound so as i said bouygues new bearings and a shim of the same size tested bearing preload and had none so I'm currently waiting for an oversized shim from Honda because i suspect the bearing is not seating right preload is suppose to be at 25 in pounds and you can also take that secondary housing off without taking the trans off

Quick Reply: Need help with Rattle noise coming from either clutch housing or Transmission