S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help on tial 38mm wastegate

Old 08-06-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on tial 38mm wastegate

i have a 38mm tial wastegate(kinda orangy/red). can't seem to figure out what size the spring that came with it and the amount it can boost. im hoping it can boost only 7PSI. last time we pounded the car, it boosted around 9-11. im really scared that my motor will blow. please let me know if any of you happen to have one. i don't want to open it because its a hassle to take out. is there any other way to figure it out? thanks.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:31 AM

'My wastegate makes my car boost upto about 11psi. How many psi does my wastegate allow boost upto?'
Old 08-07-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have any boost controller...or just running straight from the wastegate?

Also, how long did you have it up at 9-11psi...was it a spike...did you keep flooring it afterwards and did it continue to hold 9-11psi?

If it did. then the spring is for that pressure and you'll need to get a new spring in to run lower boost. Typically, people who use only the wastegate as a boost control mechanism never really experience boost spike (where the boost will jump high directly after spool up then come and settle a little lower after about 1sec)

I come from the DSM world (as I've said in many other posts) I know a lot about turbo set-ups...
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Aug 7 2004, 04:31 AM
'My wastegate makes my car boost upto about 11psi. How many psi does my wastegate allow boost upto?'
kane, do you have stock internals? i have stock internals. as for how many psi does my wastegate allow boost up to, i don't know. thats what im trying to find out. i'm using the greddy profec e-01 as a boost controller but we can't seem to figure it out on how to lower the boost. we tried all kind of stuff.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by SLO-S2000,Aug 7 2004, 01:39 PM
do you have any boost controller...or just running straight from the wastegate?

Also, how long did you have it up at 9-11psi...was it a spike...did you keep flooring it afterwards and did it continue to hold 9-11psi?

If it did. then the spring is for that pressure and you'll need to get a new spring in to run lower boost. Typically, people who use only the wastegate as a boost control mechanism never really experience boost spike (where the boost will jump high directly after spool up then come and settle a little lower after about 1sec)

I come from the DSM world (as I've said in many other posts) I know a lot about turbo set-ups...
i do have the greddy profec e-01 as a boost controller but we don't know how to lower the boost with it maybe it hook on wrong. but we installed it according to the direction.
well, after we installed the e-01 we took it for a test drive and the e-01 was indicating 9psi and sometimes 11psi and i only floored it for about 5-8sec in 3rd gear. so we stopped, so i could do more research on it and thats what im doing right now.
right now im looking for a 6.53psi spring at horsepowerfreaks.com for $39. is this a good deal? if not, where can i buy it?

im also gonna buy a digital camera soon so i can post pics.

kane & slo-thanks for the reply
Old 08-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ya...that doesn't sound too bad for a spring...and if you found it at that store...then I guess, just get it there, as long as it is a Tial Spring or made fore Tial Wastegates.

Also, though...if you can, before you go and change the spring. I would try simply connecting the boost source directly to the wastegate and don't use the e-01 as a boost controler...I'm sure you could still use it as a guage though...like you said you were doing.

If you do that, it'll tell you what kind of spring is in the wastegate. Because there is the possiblity that your spring is correct, but it is just the controller that you haven't figured out yet.

also, just so you know, running directly off the wastegate is the most reliable way to control boost...it is always the same and will never spike or be inaccurate.

So if, when you try it, if it works and stays at 7psi...then you really don't need to use the e-01 unless you really want to because you spent 600 or so on it and feel the need to use it. All you would need is a gauge.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by shauminside,Aug 7 2004, 11:44 PM
kane, do you have stock internals? i have stock internals. as for how many psi does my wastegate allow boost up to, i don't know. thats what im trying to find out. i'm using the greddy profec e-01 as a boost controller but we can't seem to figure it out on how to lower the boost. we tried all kind of stuff.
I was trying to say that you answered your own question. Re-read my post if you have to. If you can remove your boost control solenoid and it's still making about 11psi...well then surprise...you have an 11psi spring in there.