S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need a new AP1 stock engine - now what?

Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a new AP1 stock engine - now what?

Sooo I've got a 2001 almost fully stock AP1 with about 175K miles on it, and looks like I let the oil get a little low and I spun a bearing. Dammit.

I'd like to just replace the motor and get back to driving it, and it seems like a use engine is the way to go.... but where do I look and what do I need to look for? Ebay kinda scares me for this, but...?
I've been searching the forums, and I can find a thread for picking a new soft top - but nothing that specifically addresses best thctics for finding a decent stock engine to replace what I messed up.

I'd like to stay AP1, I'm getting costs of 1-2K to drop it in from my mechanic, depending on what we use from my existing engine. Since everything else on my engine seems to be generally fine, I can transfer parts - but economics is a part of this as well. Would it be cheaper to get an engine with most stuff on it, or a block that I transfer all my existing stuff on to? Is there anything I should just go ahead and replace anyway?

Also, with the engine being swapped out, should I go ahead and do a clutch? or anything else?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, decent sources for an engine, and any other info - thanks!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

find the lowest mileage used one you can, most junkyards buy totalled ones from auction and sell the engines and slap a warranty on it, i would suggest searching

www.car-part.com by your zip code and looking at your options

ebay or these forums are probably the only other sources for finding an ap1 engine unless you plan on shipping one in from japan
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Another option is to sell the car as is and buy another one.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'd go for a complete engine with all accessories already fitted. Moving very old parts doesn't seem to make sense to me and is labor intensive. Replace the clutch since the engine will be out anyway.

But @rpg51 's suggestion has merit. Sell the old car for parts.

-- Chuck
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

An engine that is apart is apart for a reason. In your situation, stay away. You want a complete, running engine. How it was taken care of is more important than miles. Of course, no real way to tell other than its outward appearance and how much rice comes through in the ad photos and description.

Something else to consider. Billman and others have managed to save quite a few motors in situations like yours, if it hasn't been driven much, or hard, after the incident.

They do it with motor in car. They drop the pan, then very carefully hand polish the crank journals, then replace the bearings. This takes knowledgeable, experience, and care. Since the S is so unique when it comes to engine internals, different bearing specs used based on part tolerances, etc, it also takes specialized S knowledge. Just because you find someone local that has lots of success with this technique on other cars doesn't mean they will have success here, unless they are humble and prepared to the research to understand the differences.

I don't want to give false hope, but depending on extent of damage, it may still be possible to salvage your existing motor.
The following users liked this post:
NC77583 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks @outeiroj - I didn't know you could search junk yards like that! dunno how I missed it smh.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
An engine that is apart is apart for a reason. In your situation, stay away. You want a complete, running engine. How it was taken care of is more important than miles. Of course, no real way to tell other than its outward appearance and how much rice comes through in the ad photos and description.

Something else to consider. Billman and others have managed to save quite a few motors in situations like yours, if it hasn't been driven much, or hard, after the incident.

They do it with motor in car. They drop the pan, then very carefully hand polish the crank journals, then replace the bearings. This takes knowledgeable, experience, and care. Since the S is so unique when it comes to engine internals, different bearing specs used based on part tolerances, etc, it also takes specialized S knowledge. Just because you find someone local that has lots of success with this technique on other cars doesn't mean they will have success here, unless they are humble and prepared to the research to understand the differences.

I don't want to give false hope, but depending on extent of damage, it may still be possible to salvage your existing motor.
That would be great, but I don't know of anyone around here (Austin) that would even claim to be able to do that. I like the thought though, thank you

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'd go for a complete engine with all accessories already fitted. Moving very old parts doesn't seem to make sense to me and is labor intensive. Replace the clutch since the engine will be out anyway.

But @rpg51 's suggestion has merit. Sell the old car for parts.

-- Chuck
Ive thought about this....even if it costs me 6.5K total or so, I don't think I'd come out ahead, right?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

If you wanted to do the Billman route as mentioned above (providing he wants to do it) you would need to factor in the cost of shipping it to him. (You might be able to have fun and drive it back to Texas!)

Billman has recommended another mechanic from a few years ago. Don’t know much about him but I recall his screen name: Jordan. I think he resided somewhere in the SE. I have not seen a post from him in a long time.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
If you wanted to do the Billman route as mentioned above (providing he wants to do it) you would need to factor in the cost of shipping it to him. (You might be able to have fun and drive it back to Texas!)

Billman has recommended another mechanic from a few years ago. Don’t know much about him but I recall his screen name: Jordan. I think he resided somewhere in the SE. I have not seen a post from him in a long time.

Ohh - got it. I see what you mean now.
@Billman250 , will you see this message if I refer to you like this? I'll also send you a note separately.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Default JDM engines?

Hi All,
I'm following up on my last thread (hope I'm doing this right) about needing to replace my engine (I seem to have spun a bearing, dammit):

I'm finally ready to do the deed; has anyone had any experience with JDM (used Japanese) AP-1 engines?
Pluses? Minuses?
Does everything needed pretty much transfer like if it was a US engine?
My transmission seems to be just fine - is there any reason to get a engine+tranny combo or should I be just fine with just the JDM engine?
One place I called said they had 10 more hp than the US engines - true?
Does anyone recommend a good dealer for them? Seems like there are a few; they all say they are tested, etc....

Thoughts?
btw, I'm in Texas, in case that matters for emissions type things...

Thanks a ton

Quick Reply: Need a new AP1 stock engine - now what?