S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEED SMART PERSON PLZ! HELP!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED SMART PERSON PLZ! HELP!

my MY00 s2k and it wont stop over heating.....i dont let it go all the way just up close to the red.....i have taken it to my mechanic about 2 weeks ago and got a new thermostat put in. the old one was sticking. he showed it to me and the rubber seal for the secondary had deteriorated and made it stick shut. got the car back and it worked great. i had heat while i was stoped and no more sticking. well the next week i suddenly had over heating issues. i know they didnt do anything to the car as my father has used them for about 30 years and taken all his classics to him. i have taken all my cars there since i could drive. he is super honest adn very reliable.

so i take the car back to them and tell them what is going on and say they will look at it in the morning since they are about to close. he calls me about noon the next day and tells me what is going on. he said it did it for about 20 minutes after it getting to running temp (210) adn it went all the way to 225 and the cooling fans never came on. so they pull the schematic out to see which relay and fuse is which and BAM it starts working. they kept the car for 2 days, letting it run just sitting the bay and driving it back and forth to catoosa. it worked perfect.

i get the car back and sure enough its fine, until the next morning. it starts again. i immediately call AAA and have it towed over there and the same senerio comes back. wasnt working then suddenly it does. he switches my ac relay and my heat relay since we know for a fact my ac one is good and gives the car back hoping that will fix it. well again FAIL. i call him and he says buy the temp switch that mounts in the bottom of the radiator. that could be bad and not send the signal to the ecu. i replaced that this morning and it worked. for about an hour... the fans came on and ran then shut off. i cycled it in my driveway 3 times. then i went and drove it on the highway since that is where i have been getting the problem and it was fine. i drove it at 70, 75, 80 and 90 hoping it would be fixed and it was. i get back home, hop in the shower and then leave heading for owasso. i get about a mile and a half or 2 miles down the highway and again it gets hot....

so i ask PLEASE help me... im out of ideas. i dont think the fans are bad, cuz if a motor goes out they are out. no intermittent BS. i know the relay and fuse are good and the temp switch is too. what else could it be? im getting really fed up with this car and im on the verge of loosing hope in fixing it. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM

My guess is that when they swapped the thermostat,, they didn't bleed all the air out of the cooling system,, I recently changed radiators,, and filled it up,, drove over an hour home,,, NO problems,, then kept checking the level,, it kept being low,, I kept adding coolant,, HERE'S what you need to do,,, You can do it sitting level,, but it helps to raise the nose,, Start the car,, Pull the black rubber cap off the port on the aluminum heater line,, right at, and in the middle of the firewall,, let it run until you get a SOLID stream of coolant coming out of it,, (bleeding out any air),,, Then cap it,, and open the air bleed that looks like a brake bleeder,, it's at the very front of the intake manifold,, right near the front, drivers corner of the valve cover,,,it points strait up,, let the car run until you get a solid stream of coolant out of it,,, then close it off, and top off the radiator,, and fill the overflow to the correct level,,, I'll BET that fixes the problem,,,
Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overheating issues with this car usually comes from the radiator itself. The plastic near the radiator cap cracks with age. The fix is a new radiator.

Next most common is the radiator cap...which begins to lose it's ability to seal properly with age.

However, definitely try bleeding the system since that is cheaper than replacing the radiator.

If you do replace the radiator, make sure you get a new cap too.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

I had this problem once of the radiator fan shutting off sporadically. couldnt figure what it was so i wired the fans straight to the battery, figured it was a electrical gremlin in the system (not my s2k...dont worry).

it turned out the fan was bad, it would run for a whiel til it heated up and then it would short itself...the car's fan relays would kick in, turning off the fan so it wouldnt fry.

just my 2cents from experience...
Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM

thers another bleeder near the firewall
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 PM

its got a new mishimoto aluminum radiatior in it. ill look for the bleed things in the morning. they did say that they were having a hell of a time getting the air out of the system, but he said he didnt think that was it. the fans are just intermittently working, coming on sometimes properly and others not at all alowing it to over heat. when replacing the fans do you buy them both or just one? thank you for the input!

anyone else?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM

i seached just on ebay for some new ones and nothing. they were listed one as the coolant fan and the other as the ac fan to pull air across the condenser. they both come on to cool the radiator so i assume i should buy both. where is a good place to buy them new. i dont wanna buy used and have the same problem arise again. thanks again guys
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Hey,,, I've got a wrecked 02,, The fan HOUSINGS,, have some breaks in them,, but I'm pretty sure the MOTORS are good,, if so,, lemme see if you could just swap the motors?... if so,, you can HAVE them for the shipping,,,,

Just checked,, both motors look good,, as I said,, You can have them for the shipping,, PM your address
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adeeos,Nov 23 2008, 08:41 AM
Hey,,, I've got a wrecked 02,, The fan HOUSINGS,, have some breaks in them,, but I'm pretty sure the MOTORS are good,, if so,, lemme see if you could just swap the motors?... if so,, you can HAVE them for the shipping,,,,

Just checked,, both motors look good,, as I said,, You can have them for the shipping,, PM your address
Nice guy...,
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Nov 23 2008, 10:11 AM
Nice guy...,
I agree

This is the stuff I like to see on here!!!

Quick Reply: NEED SMART PERSON PLZ! HELP!