S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   New (to me) 2002 AP1 S2000 Thoughts and Questions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/new-me-2002-ap1-s2000-thoughts-questions-1165514/)

Mig233 11-01-2016 02:49 PM

New (to me) 2002 AP1 S2000 Thoughts and Questions

hey everyone,
i hope I'm posting this in the right area. This is my second post, I just posted an intro in the introduction forum. I have done hours of reading over the past week on this forum and used the helpful info to purchase my new 2002 Suzuka Blue S2000. It has 87.6k and I bought it from the original owner. I am located in north jersey and am interested in maintenance meets and group drives, especially scenic area roads like bear mountain/Morris county etc.

I am coming from the background with sport bike track days. I had a C5 Z06 that I sold back in March, and I picked up a C6 Z06 in May. I'm looking forward to learning more technical details about my new S2k and I do most of my own wrenching. I have been lurking a lot in the technical forum, but I certainly love driving more than wrenching, so I'm certainly down for some nice rides.

first impressions: really tight car with incredibly responsive steering. The car is pretty slow but I love the way the engine revs and the gearbox makes the engine sing. The most surprising aspect was actually how strong the motor pulls from low RPM. I was pleasantly surprised with that...and equally disappointed about the VTEC kick that the internet seems to lose its collective mind over. I didn't notice a huge difference in 5.5k vs 6.5k. I'm just wondering if this Is normal and if anyone else had the same first impressions as me?

Ok, so onto the car details and some questions. I did a bunch of research, however all of the common prob links and TSBs no longer work. So it's a later model 2002...when I checked, I think the engine number is 10284xx. So I believe it has the 4 hole oil banjo bolts. So that's good news. The clutch was replaced 7k miles ago and feels great. I do hear/feel the AP1 clutch buzz, which I guess is normal. The car currently has some brand new (3k miles) Michelin as3 all seasons that I plan on selling. I will be sticking with 200 re rubber as this will only be a fair weather car.

I immediately want want to change all the fluids. Motor, trans, diff, and brake fluid. I need recommendations for all:

Now before this gets out of hand. I've done some reading on Honda MTF vs GM synchromesh vs brand x. But all those threads are 3+ years old. Please throw out some recommendations. Thanks.

bgoetz 11-01-2016 03:15 PM

Honda MTF

Advice, check the oil every fuel fill up going by the low side of the dipstick for the next 2k miles to get a feel for consumption. This is the single most important thing to being a new AP1 owner

Hfreak 11-01-2016 03:23 PM

:iagree:

Congrats on the new purchase, certainly not a Vette but will make you smile in ways you didn't think possible from a Honda.

Mig233 11-01-2016 04:08 PM

Thanks for the congrats and the advice. I am aware of the AP1 oil burning. I will def keep an eye on it. Is a catch can worth the trouble?

It certainly is not a Z06. But this is an AND car not an OR car. I am looking to do track events, and I wanted something cheap, reliable, and fun that is relatively easy to work on. The corvettes are too expensive for me. I sold my C5Z with 24k miles and my C6Z has 2400. Way too nice to track. Tires are crazy expensive, even for a c5. It was between this and a Miata. Small tires. Small brakes. Small engine. Half the cylinders of a corvette.

Why Honda MTF? I've read it's been reformulated recently. Anyone have any experience with other brands? How about motor and diff oil weight/brand. I will probably run something a little heavier for protection. I believe the service manual recommends 5w-40 and 10w-30. Diff is supposed to be straight 90 weight, but I don't think that's even available.

I also want to check the valve adjustment, and while I'm in there change to the AP2 retainers. I wouldn't mind some supervision from someone who is intimately familiar or someone who has done it before.

Chuck S 11-02-2016 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Engine oil? Take your pick. 10W-30 is the spec. There's no scientific consensus and choices mirror TV advertising. :)

Get the S2000 OEM oil filter. It's bigger than the Civic filter the dealer will try to sell you. Use new crush washers for all.

Gearbox and differential lubricants:

Attachment 78248

-- Chuck

Mig233 11-02-2016 03:52 AM

The LE diff fluid is a new one to me...never heard of it. I'm not really stressing too much over this, but I read one thing and the next thing contradicts the first. I've read multiple times that Mobil 1 10W30 gets consumed at a faster rate than others...if that's true I would like to avoid that because I don't need to make a known issue/inconvenience (oil consumption) a bigger problem. My requirements are:
1. Best reasonable protection
2. Cost
3. Availability
4. Interchangeability with my other vehicles

I'm not spending double or triple (motorcyle oil cost) for a slightly longer oil change interval. I use 5W30 for my Tundra, 0W40 for my Z06, and would like to maximize economies of scale here for the new S2k if possible, because I normally go to Walmart or BJs/Costco and buy in bulk (5-6 quarts at a time). With that said, I know this is a high revving drivetrain and well engineered car. I plan on using it for its intended purpose, and I want to maximize its service life.

Chuck S 11-02-2016 05:14 AM

Similar thread this morning on oil consumption. You can take Billman's advice to the bank!

All the maintenance intervals are in the owner's manual. Although the spec is 10W-30 any of the oil weights you mention will be fine. Dino or synthetic. The LE differential oil was only slightly hard to find at reasonable cost. I think this is a 15,000 mile interval which is every third oil change for me.

Oil change interval on the S2000 is 7500 miles with a filter change every other time. Few here seem to go that long between changes and filters are cheap. There are no more engines or short blocks for these cars other than the weekly wrecks. The Maintenance Minder on my 2006 told me I had less than 10% oil life last month before I had 6000 miles on the oil. Previous oil change at about 6500 miles didn't trigger the computer so how you drive will influence oil life. Oil analysis both times was good.

Oil and filter change takes just a smidge over 5 US quarts. Comes in a 5 quart bottle. I'm not sure buying one bottle is buying in bulk, though. :) Buying "special" oil for the S2000 is just buying that one bottle -- who cares what the other cars or lawnmowers use? One (and maybe a spare quart to top off between changes) and done.

To put this in perspective the difference in cost between a $20 bottle (5 quarts) and a $30 bottle is two 6-packs of cheap beer. I don't sweat it.

-- Chuck

Kakarot103 11-02-2016 06:17 AM

As for engine oil i like to use castrol syntech edge in the black bottle. It helped with my oil consumption after switching from mobile 1 full syn. It can be bought at walmart for like $26 for a 5qrt jug. And i run the 10w-40 weight, slightly thicker as i live in texas and its pretty much always hot. For my tranny and diff i chose the redline brand and got the bottles on amazon. everything works great, no complaints. Honda MTF is the preferred by many but Redline and amsoil are also popular.

jyeung528 11-02-2016 03:00 PM

regarding tranny fluid.

Amsoil MTF lasts A LOT longer than the Honda MTF. I've tried both and several others, including Redline (both) and GM Synchromesh.

Amsoil MTF hands down.

regarding oil, use synthetic, give Motul X-Cess 5w40 a try, the 5 liter jug on amazon is a great price.

Differential, LE worked well, but difficult to obtain. Amsoil severe gear 75w90 would work, you can also use 75w110. Change your diff fluid once a year or two and see what's on the drain plug.

forgot your other questions, but monitor oil consumption, and have fun.

windhund116 11-02-2016 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528 (Post 24097387)
regarding tranny fluid.

Amsoil MTF lasts A LOT longer than the Honda MTF. I've tried both and several others, including Redline (both) and GM Synchromesh

Did you do oil analysis of both? Does Honda MTF breakdown? Are you talking tens of thousands of miles extra? Or severe service?

Thanks!