S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New S2000 Technical Questions

Old 02-14-2001, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told by a service engineer at AHM that the break-in oil is indeed special. It appearently causes higher fiction than normal 30 weight oil to aid in seating the bits. He said that switching to a slicker oil, especially synthetics, to soon will result in burning more oil than normal throughout the life of the engine due to improperly or more precisely incompletely seated parts.

It's not available here, it's specially formulated and not used outside the factory. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am from the "early oil change on new engines" school of thought. I've had good luck doing that on every car I've owned. But I have put those urges aside with my S2K. Remember guys, we have carbon fiber/ceramic cylinder liners which no other production car on the road has. I guess proper ring seating requires "Honda Mystery Oil" and more miles than usual. I'm trusting those little Jap engineers on this one!

FYI, I've got 2,500 mi on the clock now, oil consumption stopped at 2,000. I'm going to dump at 3,700 and run mineral oil for another 3,000...Then hello Mobil 1.

PS. My first track event with this car is this weekend at Charlotte (Lowe's) Motor Speedway; Can't wait!
Old 02-15-2001, 04:59 AM

Well, I read the link that JPit posted. My question now is if the factory oil is "specially formulated for new engines that ....may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process", than why would you not want to get those particles out of the engine as soon as possible??? The new engines almost certainly do have particles in them.

As for what the service engineer at AHM told CTHREE, I have NEVER experienced high oil consumption after changing the oil early on several Honda engines. As a matter of fact, I have always gotten very high mileage out of Honda engines with little or no oil consumption even after 150K+ miles. Am I just extremely lucky?

However, I do beleive in not using synthetics until the car has a few thousand miles on it. But, there are several manufacturers who use Mobile 1 in their new cars, such as the Corvette and Porsches. On the other hand, none of those cars have a reputation of having long life engines. I guess I still am going to stick with what has worked for me in the past.
Old 02-15-2001, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that the newer manufacturing methods leave cleaner surfaces and it is said that is the reason that break in is less crucial.

The last engine I built is a highly modified Subaru 1.9 Turbo. After about 40 hours plus 500 miles I have to tear it down again because a custom part isnt working the way I want it to, so I can tell (shortly) what benifits my break in lubs and oil have had.

Crower supplies special lube for cams and highly recommends NOT using a synthetic oil to break in an engine but rather a heavy weight natural oil. I can tell you that the cams are smooth as a baby's butt and the cylinder walls look great too, but I have to get another engine together before I can break the block open to check rod/main bearings, I did put some major wheel spinning stress on that engine so it will be nice to check it out.

As for my S2000, I waited till 7500 mi to change the oil. For one it was very clean, and another, 5500 of that was straight highway cruising. I did try to seat the rings when I got it (but below 6000rpm) but didnt really get on it till about 750 mi. The oil still stays pretty clean, but I do use it up.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allan Haggai
[B]I too am from the "early oil change on new engines" school of thought.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info on the cylinder liners Reverend; I didn't know that.
Old 02-15-2001, 12:27 PM

Just in case anybody wants to read it :

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1178...4077&p=41042667 wait a sec its not working

I havnt heard either way, but does honda break in the engines before they go into the cars? Then maybe change the
oil? I had 5 miles on my car, I wonder what and how they check for defects?

[Edited by cmnsnse on 02-15-2001 at 01:46 PM]
Old 02-15-2001, 12:47 PM

I toured the Corvette plant in Bowling Green once. They let some lady from our tour group start a ZR1 for the first time as it was moving down the assembly line. Another ZR1 was being tested on a dyno at the final assembly area.

I'm sure they start the S2000s as they are moving down the assembly line. Maybe they test the car on the dyno also??? Would this add mileage to the car or is the odo not attached to the drive wheels?
Old 02-15-2001, 12:56 PM

as far as I know the Odometer is connected at the tranny . .

here is a good link http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1178...2603&p=41045217

They just gotta start 'em before they go in.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Break in oil is "special" and contrary to some opinions here is very important, for any high rev long life engine. It is high in Molybdenum. This aids in reducing spalling/galling of metals which are in contact. The additional friction will provide a better seal and seal up minor inclusions. I just topped up my break-in oil with a product from Castrol....Castrol Break-in oil. Contact your local speed shop.

Quick Reply: New S2000 Technical Questions